What Is the Most Famous Sporting Event You Witnessed?

n_huffhines

What's it gonna cost?
One of my best friends just found out his Dad was at the Immaculate Reception game (RIP Franco Harris). He was shocked he never mentioned it. I realized I rarely think about the most famous sports moment I saw, and it's actually a pretty good one. I was curious about others:
  1. What is the most famous sports moment you witnessed in person?
  2. What was the most famous UT sports moment you witnessed in person?
I saw Donovan Bailey set the 100m world record in the gold medal race, and I was on the 15th row at the finish line. You may remember Linford Christie faulted and threw his shoes in the stands in protest. I was very lucky to have a friend who was an only child of rich folks, and they took me to all kinds of stuff.

'99 Fiesta Bowl (lower bowl, about 20th row near the corner) with my Dad

One of my best friends just found out his Dad was at the Immaculate Reception game (RIP Franco Harris). He was shocked he never mentioned it. I realized I rarely think about the most famous sports moment I saw, and it's actually a pretty good one. I was curious about others:
  1. What is the most famous sports moment you witnessed in person?
  2. What was the most famous UT sports moment you witnessed in person?
I saw Donovan Bailey set the 100m world record in the gold medal race, and I was on the 15th row at the finish line. You may remember Linford Christie faulted and threw his shoes in the stands in protest. I was very lucky to have a friend who was an only child of rich folks, and they took me to all kinds of stuff.

'99 Fiesta Bowl (lower bowl, about 20th row near the corner) with my Dad
Love stuff like this..............

2001 Masters on Sunday
Tiger wins to complete the "Tiger Slam." Only player to hold all 4 major championship trophies at once.

1982 UT/Bama

I've been very fortunate to have attended a ton of sporting events over the years but am a little light on "historical" ones I guess.

Honestly, one of the most historical ones I've been to was the Tennessee/Alabama game this year. Also was at the 2009 SECCG which, in hindsight, kind of seems like Saban's "we're here" moment. I was also at The Battle at Bristol was not a uniquely compelling game but is the most-attended CFB game ever.

1981 Sweet Sixteen in Atlanta when Danny Ainge went the length of the court for the game winner over Notre Dame. The Vols played Sampson and VA that night also.

I guess the ‘85 Auburn game or ‘86 Sugar Bowl. I was there when Chuck Webb ran for 294 against Ole Miss, that was incredible.

1981 Sweet Sixteen in Atlanta when Danny Ainge went the length of the court for the game winner over Notre Dame. The Vols played Sampson and VA that night also.

I guess the ‘85 Auburn game or ‘86 Sugar Bowl. I was there when Chuck Webb ran for 294 against Ole Miss, that was incredible.

I almost listed the Webb game as my 1b. That was my first Tennessee game attended during my campus visit before enrolling.

Not really that famous unless you're an SEC basketball fan, but I was at the Vandy/Florida game in the 80s as a kid when someone threw a tennis ball at Dwayne Schintzius and it ended up losing the game for Vandy.

Not really that famous unless you're an SEC basketball fan, but I was at the Vandy/Florida game in the 80s as a kid when someone threw a tennis ball at Dwayne Schintzius and it ended up losing the game for Vandy.
I was there as well. Cost Vandy the SEC Championship

George Plaster knows who threw it...........He says he's "Taking it to the grave."

I asked my dad the same question last night...................His could have been fantastic.

He and my mom LEFT after the 2nd OT in the Arkansas game...........:rolleyes:

He Left before.......
1. He was walking back up #10 befor Larry Mize's chip in on #11 at The Masters in '87
2. He was in the elevator during the "Music City Miracle."
3. He and his friends showed up to the Spinks/Tyson fight 45 seconds after the 1st round KO.

Come on dad! My goodness.:rolleyes:

I asked my dad the same question last night...................His could have been fantastic.

He Left before.......
1. He was walking back up #10 befor Larry Mize's chip in on #11 at The Masters in '87
3. He and his friends showed up to the Spinks/Tyson fight 45 seconds after the 1st round KO.

That's almost even more interesting, especially since he's just missed so many. That could almost be a book.

Speaking of Plaster, that reminds me of how much grief he used to get about him leaving the 1992 NLCS Game 7 early and missed Sid Bream scoring.

Reactions: vols40 and peaygolf

He Left before.......

Haha.

My Mom's family is all huge BYU fans and my Uncle left the stadium at the Holiday Bowl right before the start of maybe the greatest comeback in bowl history (BYU scored 21 pts in the last 2:33).

Haha.

My Mom's family is all huge BYU fans and my Uncle left the stadium at the Holiday Bowl right before the start of maybe the greatest comeback in bowl history (BYU scored 21 pts in the last 2:33).
80-Holiday-Sikahema-411x274.jpg

Reactions: n_huffhines
Neither particularly "famous."

1. Game 4 when the Preds swept Chicago in the 1st round of the Stanley Cup run.
2. 2022 Tennessee - Alabama.

I have far more negative experiences with the Vols than positive lol. Music City Bowls haven't been very fun, outside Nebraska (I've been to all of them). The SECCG against Auburn (b-ball) wasn't that fun either.

Last edited:
Most famous UT event/ either 98 Florida game or the basketball win against Texas at TBA. Most famous non UT event…..:I was a child In the stands when Senior passed Awesome Bill in the grass. But I don’t particularly remember it.

That's almost even more interesting, especially since he's just missed so many. That could almost be a book.

Speaking of Plaster, that reminds me of how much grief he used to get about him leaving the 1992 NLCS Game 7 early and missed Sid Bream scoring.

Pretty sure that was the slowest time ever recorded by a player going from second based home. And good for ole Plazmo

HE IS SAAAAFEE!
BRAVES WIN BRAVES WIN

2004 UT/UF. I think it counts as historic because it was the largest audience in Neyland’s history, and likely will stay that way.

Reactions: kiddiedoc
Battle of Bristol was a lot of fun.

I think the biggest Vol win I have seen in person was the shellacking of ND in 1979, 40-18. I think we stopped Vegas Ferguson inside the one(?) on 4th down. Jimmy Streater had himself a game.
I was 15 and selling cokes at that ND game in 79. One of the best atmospheres at Neyland.

Reactions: drvenner
Battle of Bristol was a lot of fun.

I think the biggest Vol win I have seen in person was the shellacking of ND in 1979, 40-18. I think we stopped Vegas Ferguson inside the one(?) on 4th down. Jimmy Streater had himself a game.
Streater......my All-Time favorite Vol!

Reactions: drvenner and MAD

VN Store

Back