Kellie Harper discussion/debate thread [merged]

No about 14 thousand and the chance is slim to none,
Sadly, I'll be very surprised if they get 14. It's a Thursday and that always hurts. UConn was a one timer with huge promo and turned out to be such an incredible, deflating disappointment that I can't see it happening again this soon. Plus, zero people think we are likely to be competitive against SC. I'll say 10K + change, maybe 12 if some SC fans think it's worth the trip.

That said, still routinely drawing 7-9K is amazing given how long it's been since we were actually competing for big stuff. Among my many worries over next year is that attendance is likely to plummet.

I have never heard of a player in any sport who was projected to be a first round draft pick in their pro league who turned it down because of NIL and yet y’all will talk yourselves into believing it’ll happen this time

Pre NIL but Larry Bird made it known he was going to play college ball another year but Boston drafted him 6th overall in the first round anyway. Bird did play another year of college ball and then signed with Boston before the next draft.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Sadly, I'll be very surprised if they get 14. It's a Thursday and that always hurts. UConn was a one timer with huge promo and turned out to be such an incredible, deflating disappointment that I can't see it happening again this soon. Plus, zero people think we are likely to be competitive against SC. I'll say 10K + change, maybe 12 if some SC fans think it's worth the trip.

That said, still routinely drawing 7-9K is amazing given how long it's been since we were actually competing for big stuff. Among my many worries over next year is that attendance is likely to plummet.

The crowd for the UConn game was a huge disappointment IMO, and very telling of the level of apathy that's set in with Kellie and this program...

The crowd for the UConn game was a huge disappointment IMO, and very telling of the level of apathy that's set in with Kellie and this program...
Disagree. For current LVS, the UConn crowd of about 15 was amazing. More than LSU vs us or even LSU vs SC. Of course their arenas don't hold as many as ours so no telling how many they could have gotten.

It was the game that was the huge disappointment against UConn. They were able to rally the town, the campus and the response surprised me. The event was amazing, very well staged. But no way it happens again any time soon.

I was amazed at the crowd for Vandy last Sunday, over 9K. Apathy is the few hundred scattered around arenas at Georgia, Florida, Alabama, KY, etc. I've been to LV games at those places and there are fewer than at a high school game.

Not clear why one would assume that Edie will be transferring. Rennie has been committed to the program and again its not obvious why she would leave, assuming that she wants to keep playing. I think Miles and Wynn can expect bigger roles next season if they up their games a bit. Powell has to sit if she transfers again so she will likely be back. Rickea yes the WNBA is calling, Likely the same for Jordan H. but I could see her opting to use her Covid year if the NIL is right. Who knows about Marta, given the circumstances.

My thinking:
1. Edie is good enough to start for many teams. The preferred walk-on year has been great fun. But, for next three years...she will want to play somewhere. MTSU maybe.
2. Rennie will graduate and ready to move on with life. Her injury is the final straw.
3. Miles is a good player who needs playing time. She is out of favor here. I can see her going and starting at Kentucky.
4. Wynn might be most likely to return. Elite athletic, but woeful offensively. If still around, Kellie has to bring in grad students who can shoot. It is killing us. In turn, that will push Wynn back to bottom of pack.
5. Powell has been a disaster. We signed her on a one year deal. No fun. I see her giving it a try in Europe.
6. Jordie & RJ are Top-10 WNBA picks, so have to make the money.
7. Yes, who knows about Su's mum. My gut tells me she will return unless her mother needs her in Spain. Su will have a nice career in professional basketball somewhere in EU.

My thinking:
1. Edie is good enough to start for many teams. The preferred walk-on year has been great fun. But, for next three years...she will want to play somewhere. MTSU maybe.
2. Rennie will graduate and ready to move on with life. Her injury is the final straw.
3. Miles is a good player who needs playing time. She is out of favor here. I can see her going and starting at Kentucky.
4. Wynn might be most likely to return. Elite athletic, but woeful offensively. If still around, Kellie has to bring in grad students who can shoot. It is killing us. In turn, that will push Wynn back to bottom of pack.
5. Powell has been a disaster. We signed her on a one year deal. No fun. I see her giving it a try in Europe.
7. Yes, who knows about Su's mum. My gut tells me she will return unless her mother needs her in Spain. Su will have a nice career in professional basketball somewhere in EU.
My thinking:
I had us down to five players the other day and was actually hoping that was the way it ended up. Of course that didn't include Jackson, Horston, or Key who we would love to have back. I don't like any of our point guards regardless or our two guards. We need another Power five post. I like who we have to play the four and the three next season. Edie might be the best point guard coming back next season.

I had us down to five players the other day and was actually hoping that was the way it ended up. Of course that didn't include Jackson, Horston, or Key who we would love to have back. I don't like any of our point guards regardless or our two guards. We need another Power five post. I like who we have to play the four and the three next season. Edie might be the best point guard coming back next season.

I concur. The point guard play this year has hurt us more than the loss of Key.

Edie is a good player and fearless. But, has to reach a lot on defense. Similar to Tess in that regard.

Reactions: Volfan2012
The LV lose 6 players off this team. Worse yet Coach Harper has NO COMMITTED player in the class of 2023...that is not encouraging for the LV next year unless some players are obtained off the transfer players.
Do you have the inside scoop that we are losing 6? I haven't seen that announced anywhere.

Not clear why one would assume that Edie will be transferring. Rennie has been committed to the program and again it’s not obvious why she would leave, assuming that she wants to keep playing. I think Miles and Wynn can expect bigger roles next season if they up their games a bit. Powell has to sit if she transfers again so she will likely be back. Rickea yes the WNBA is calling, Likely the same for Jordan H. but I could see her opting to use her Covid year if the NIL is right. Who knows about Marta, given the circumstances.

Edie may decide to stay and sit the bench and be content with wearing the jersey and swag. She could also know her worth and look to transfer to a school like MTSU, UTC or TN Tech and play the rest of her eligibility.

lets be honest kellie finishes 3 place sec under contract for 4 to 6 years. tenn not paying 2 coaches million a year for the next 4 to 6 years. doubt kellie loaning her players credit card for night club. so danny white has not much support from people over him to fire kellie this year. leader of pack to fire kellie knows it. if anybody wondering mudcat still 100% on team kellie.

lets be honest kellie finishes 3 place sec under contract for 4 to 6 years. tenn not paying 2 coaches million a year for the next 4 to 6 years. doubt kellie loaning her players credit card for night club. so danny white has not much support from people over him to fire kellie this year. leader of pack to fire kellie knows it. if anybody wondering mudcat still 100% on team kellie.
Those crowds speak for themselves…he doesn’t need anyone over him when he can point to the record, attendance and recruiting in year 4.

Reactions: Voluble2

Go Mudcat!

I think Kellie needs to go all in on recruiting experienced players and Grad Students, Pay with NIL bucks. Every year, our team has about 10 seniors and grad students.

We just need to focus on getting more who can produce points.

RJ can score. Jillian will be able to score. Powell badly fooled me because I didn't realize most of her points came while playing for the low-level Michigan school.

Franklin has performed her role.

Disagree. For current LVS, the UConn crowd of about 15 was amazing.

Not quite 15,000... 13,800. And that was after they marketed the hell out of the game and Kellie literally begged fans to attend.

As you said, I don't think the fans will be fooled twice...

if anybody wondering mudcat still 100% on team kellie.

Godspeed mudcat...

jack-sparrow-i-will-go-down-with-this-ship.gif

Reactions: Remy
Go Mudcat!

I think Kellie needs to go all in on recruiting experienced players and Grad Students, Pay with NIL bucks. Every year, our team has about 10 seniors and grad students.

We just need to focus on getting more who can produce points.

RJ can score. Jillian will be able to score. Powell badly fooled me because I didn't realize most of her points came while playing for the low-level Michigan school.

Franklin has performed her role.
young players like hollingshed who said she would sign for kellie if not for not being able visit for covid no in person visits.

young players like hollingshed who said she would sign for kellie if not for not being able visit for covid no in person visits.

Yes. I'm willing to consider all special cases.

IMO, we have just recruited too many copies of basically the same player. The four true point guards we have can't score the ball.

We need more girls who can either hit 3's, or create/hit shots at rim (like Jillian).

Overall, we currently have a bunch of jocks who can't consistently hit 10-12 footers.

I have never heard of a player in any sport who was projected to be a first round draft pick in their pro league who turned it down because of NIL and yet y’all will talk yourselves into believing it’ll happen this time
Ashley Joens did from Iowa State just this past year to play her COVID year.

Ashley Joens did from Iowa State just this past year to play her COVID year.

Following up, NIL does change the calculus. This season, top 4 picks are capped at $76K and it drops down to $70K for picks 9-12 in the first round.

Of course, some players can supplement that income by playing outside the US in the WNBA offseason but the reason for going pro probably has less to do with the $ than graduating into a higher level of competition and just wanting to move with their lives.

On the flip side, the WNBA salary structure is designed, via their collective bargaining agreement, to steadily increase each season. A player drafted next year in the 1st round will make 10K more than the season.

So, if a player feels she has unfinished business in the college game or wants to get an advanced degree before moving on and can still earn something in the 70K ballpark with an NIL, staying an extra year might not look so bad.

do see tenn shelling out 2 million plus to pay two coaches for 4 to 6 years left on her contract. finish third this year. on three facebook groups there still more on kellie ship than lifeboats. i know you got first lifeboat off and rowing away from pull of ship if it goes down!
Third this year as bad as the SEC doesn’t warrant holding onto if a change is needed. The fan base is bigger than 3 Facebook groups of a lot of the same fans.

Tennessee has made a lot of coaches rich with buyouts to stop coaching.

Following up, NIL does change the calculus. This season, top 4 picks are capped at $76K and it drops down to $70K for picks 9-12 in the first round.

Of course, some players can supplement that income by playing outside the US in the WNBA offseason but the reason for going pro probably has less to do with the $ than graduating into a higher level of competition and just wanting to move with their lives.

On the flip side, the WNBA salary structure is designed, via their collective bargaining agreement, to steadily increase each season. A player drafted next year in the 1st round will make 10K more than the season.

So, if a player feels she has unfinished business in the college game or wants to get an advanced degree before moving on and can still earn something in the 70K ballpark with an NIL, staying an extra year might not look so bad.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. We have more money than most.

We could all toss a few coins into a bucket and get Cameron Brink for next year. Say for $50k to promote Goo Goo Clusters?

VN Store

Back