Breaking: TX, OU Reach Agreement to Join SEC in 2024

Cherish the Alabama game in October. There's a chance it may go away as an annual event in 2024

It's definitely possible depending on the type of schedule the conference moves to and how they determine the 1+ annual games, but I have a hard time envisioning the SEC not giving each team three yearly opponents and one of Tennessee's games not being TSIO.

Which SEC away venue are we hitting up first? I want to go to Norman, but Austin would be a hell of a weekend trip
I’m interested in the timeline that SEC uses to announce everything. I would guess that we wil get an announcement this spring that the conference is going to nine games and three permanent opponents. Then sometime in the fall, or maybe just before media days, we found out who everyone has as permanent opponents.

Cherish the Alabama game in October. There's a chance it may go away as an annual event in 2024

Not going to happen.

Tennessee's 3 permanent rivals will be Bama (3 Saturday), Vandy (in-state SEC Rival), and Kentucky (most played Rival). The other 6 games will be rotational with other SEC teams. That's one tough team, one medium team and one cellar dweller.... good balance.

I’m interested in the timeline that SEC uses to announce everything. I would guess that we wil get an announcement this spring that the conference is going to nine games and three permanent opponents. Then sometime in the fall, or maybe just before media days, we found out who everyone has as permanent opponents.

I say inside a month. I expect everything is already decided. just need an announcement.

Reactions: vegasvolfan
It's definitely possible depending on the type of schedule the conference moves to and how they determine the 1+ annual games, but I have a hard time envisioning the SEC not giving each team three yearly opponents and one of Tennessee's games not being TSIO.
Wouldn’t bother me a bit.

Not going to happen.

Tennessee's 3 permanent rivals will be Bama (3 Saturday), Vandy (in-state SEC Rival), and Kentucky (most played Rival). The other 6 games will be rotational with other SEC teams. That's one tough team, one medium team and one cellar dweller.... good balance.

Or they could setup pods for the permanent opponents:

Pod 1 - GA, KY, Fla , SC
Pod 2 - TN, Vandy, Alabama, Auburn
Pod 3 - LSU, Miss, Miss St, Arkansas
Pod 4 - Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Mizz

The SEC is going to treat that 2024 schedule release like the NFL does. I’m guessing it will be a huge reveal show the way it was during the Covid season. I’m thinking we get Texas in Knoxville. A lot of storylines tied to that one.
The start of the UT vs UT rivalry!...I see a lot of fun coming from that one!

Not going to happen.

I don’t see the league having 3 permanent rivals. They already indicated an unhappiness that non permanent teams are playing so rarely and 3 permanent games makes this continue.

Plus permanent rival games is why UGA has had a fairly soft schedule compared to others. I see pods coming down the pike with 1 permanent rival outside the pod maybe. I’m not fond of the unbalanced 9 game schedule but feel that is almost a certainty now.

I personally wouldn’t miss that game being played every year

I am with you. Sucked starting the season 0-1 for 15 straight years. Plus having to beat them twice in the same year to win the conference sucks.

Say what you want about line up and play anyone, anytime, we are Tennessee......that makes no sense when all the other top schools skip that kind of thinking. Clemson has maybe 1 semi difficult game a year, same with Ohio State, we want to be in the same playoff with those teams, but we play 5-6 ranked teams each year, and recently we have to play 2 in the top 5. We are in the SEC, this is an advantage and a disadvantage. Have on off nite on defense and just about any SEC team will drop 50 on you and your chances are toast. No need in making it harder than it already is.

How is a super difficult schedule working out for the lady vols. Some of the same posters who will say, "we are Tennessee" while pounding your chest, just said over in the LV forum that we needed to do what LSU women did this year...an easier schedule.

Last edited:
Reactions: volfaninky

VN Store

Back