The Official #2 Tennessee vs. #25 Auburn Game Thread, 2:00 PM ET, ESPN

How about happy with concerns? You would think after playing poorly at Florida that they would bounce back with better play at home. They were worse instead

Sure there are concerns, but I’m still happy with the win. There are no dominant teams in college basketball right now. Even the best teams have had some major struggles this year, UT included. So as badly as UT has played the last two games, I’m glad they got out of it 1-1 after scoring a combined 100 points.

Yes. Was very active on the floor. Got switched on to Green a couple times and just stone walled him. Auburns last possession before half Barnes took out Vescovi and ZZ and put JM on Green and Green was boxed with nowhere to go.

Good to see him play well. Barnes said that he shoulders minutes. I am a bit surprised that Phillis isn’t playing better. Maybe I expected too much but he doesn’t seem to want the ball during crunch time. He got beat a couple of times on D and looks uncomfortable sometimes.

This team is not as talented as last years team. Too many games where we can’t score enough.

We miss Kennedy who could get us 16-20 points most any night as needed.

Now, we have four guys who could get us 16-20 if they happen to be on that game.

Good to see him play well. Barnes said that he shoulders minutes. I am a bit surprised that Phillis isn’t playing better. Maybe I expected too much but he doesn’t seem to want the ball during crunch time. He got beat a couple of times on D and looks uncomfortable sometimes.
No, I've thought all year Phillips would be the key to a March run, and still do. But for an all everything 5* I've been disappointed in what we're getting from him

Reactions: vol94
Sure there are concerns, but I’m still happy with the win. There are no dominant teams in college basketball right now. Even the best teams have had some major struggles this year, UT included. So as badly as UT has played the last two games, I’m glad they got out of it 1-1 after scoring a combined 100 points.

Yeah, Purdues down 9 in 2nd half we’re down 15 their on a comeback

how many active coaches in Division 1 have won championships? I know the answer but I’ll give you time to answer.

If the goal is to win championships, he falls short. He's never even played for a championship despite the immense talent he's coached over the years. If the goal is to make Final Fours, he falls short. If the goal is to make Elite 8s, he falls short. Based on expectations of his teams through the years, he falls short on Sweet 16s too.

If your happy with being a high seed in the tournament and losing in the second round, that's fine.

Interesting: despite only playing 11 minutes, Uros had the best +/- for the game, at +9. Zeigler the worst, at -4.

Yep .

Just some major lack of awareness down the stretch made that game closer than it should have been. Pearl has made a large part of his reputation on those in bound traps and these guys were clueless.

One of those miserable, all around ugly games.

Just take the win and move on to the next one.

No one is debating about style points on a game first week of February during Selection Sunday.
Definitely February is a grind and when the game is officiated allowing so much grabbing and holding it makes ugly offense. In CHRIST Alone

I’m aware. I’m also aware of the extremely high variability in outcome of basketball games. So the fact that he’s yet to win the entire tournament is not a knock on him as a coach. We see massive variability every day in college basketball

How about the fact that he's only gotten close once, the one time he made a Final Four. He's made a career out of getting high seeds in the tournament and then flaming out early.

ok. Time is up. Only 5 active coaches in ncaa basketball have won it all. Should schools fire every one else?

People just need to stop acting like he's likely to ever win one when he hasn't ever even played for one. I am not happy with making the sweet 16 once every 5 or 6 years with him. That's not what our goal should be.

If the goal is to win championships, he falls short. He's never even played for a championship despite the immense talent he's coached over the years. If the goal is to make Final Fours, he falls short. If the goal is to make Elite 8s, he falls short. Based on expectations of his teams through the years, he falls short on Sweet 16s too.

If your happy with being a high seed in the tournament and losing in the second round, that's fine.
I am listening. Who do you want as coach?

I am perfectly fine with a team that wins regularly, competes for SEC titles, and makes the tournament every year. It’s fine that other fans are only happy with more. That’s our choice as fans to decide what expectations constitute our fandom.

For most fans I think it would. It’s a completely fair criticism to demand Barnes does better than one Sweet 16

Take away his first season and the COVID season and that leaves him with what 5 opportunities? It'll be alright.

People just need to stop acting like he's likely to ever win one when he hasn't ever even played for one. I am not happy with making the sweet 16 once every 5 or 6 years with him. That's not what our goal should be.

and that’s fine. Do you think any coach doesn’t really want to win it all? you make it sound like Barne’s starts each season with a vision board that says “don’t advance past the sweet 16.” By all measurable metrics, he has improved the state of our program.

Reactions: NOLACHUCKEYTOM
No, I've thought all year Phillips would be the key to a March run, and still do. But for an all everything 5* I've been disappointed in what we're getting from him

Barnes has said he’s told Phillips to be more aggressive, and his turnovers occur when Phillips is passive w the ball in his hands. The offense isn’t fun to watch but I hope this team can make a final four run. UVA won it all by playing elite D. I’m not sure of the comparison b/t the UVA national title team Vs this TN team. But I still have hope that JJJ, Vescovi, Key and ZZ will catch fire in March and ON and Phillis can get it going, too. Giving Uros large min concerns me with the number of stupid fouls and poor foul shooting.

He didn’t have high seeds when he lost early at Texas. His last 8 NCAAT’s at Texas, he was seeded 11, 7, 11, 4, 8, 7, 2, and 4. When he was seeded 7 or better, he always made the 2nd round. When seeded 2, he made the Elite Eight. The narrative that he got beat early with high seeds is just not true at Texas. But I understand people don’t care to look it up.

Oh, but when I’m being REALISTIC. It’s wrong. Ever tried that?

No, because realism is rooted in perspective. It’s a social construct and we allow our perspective to shape how we see things. I’m a glass half full, not a glass half empty guy.

Barnes has said he’s told Phillips to be more aggressive, and his turnovers occur when Phillips is passive w the ball in his hands. The offense isn’t fun to watch but I hope this team can make a final four run. UVA won it all by playing elite D. I’m not sure of the comparison b/t the UVA national title team Vs this TN team. But I still have hope that JJJ, Vescovi, Key and ZZ will catch fire in March and ON and Phillis can get it going, too. Giving Uros large min concerns me with the number of stupid fouls and poor foul shooting.
In the second half Phillips had a play where he got the rebound, took it at the top of the key got a pick took it to the rim and got blocked. I hope Barnes plays that on a loop for him for the next 2 months. He has to go up stronger.

Reactions: vol94

VN Store

Back