Does limiting POTUS to a maximum of two terms hurt us against our international foes? And if so should we consider changing it?

We need term limits on Congress. More power to an already bloated government is not something I would support.

Reactions: AM64
It’s a good thought. Much of our problems are because as a country we don’t plan any further than 4 years into the future because of our election cycle. And even good policies by an incumbent are usually scrapped when then new guy takes office.

Maybe 1 single 12 year term, no reelection possible?

The thought of a 12-year Biden presidency sounds terrific Mr. Hog.

I think term limits would have little to no affect. Kinda like curing a symptom but not the disease.
I think banning parties would be a lot more successful
Banning lobbying
Banning any affiliation with a corporation after office.
Banning corporate money and PACs.
The system is broken.

"Americans play the short game, our enemies play the long game" is such a tired trope. It's human nature to be shortsighted, and everybody is shortsighted to a degree.

China sure as hell wasn't playing the long game with their stupid one-child policy. Russia isn't playing the long game because they don't have a long game to play.

I think term limits would have little to no affect. Kinda like curing a symptom but not the disease.
I think banning parties would be a lot more successful
Banning lobbying
Banning any affiliation with a corporation after office.
Banning corporate money and PACs.
The system is broken.

I think making congress a part time job with commiserate pay and no benefits would do more than term limits.

limited to 90 calendar days in session
no HC benefits or pension
no per diem, build dorms with cafeterias for them to live in while in DC

I think making congress a part time job with commiserate pay and no benefits would do more than term limits.

I wish the states would just say NO. More than anything the 10th.

Just think how awesome it would be to have an accomplished statesperson like Hillary in the president's office for two decades or more.

Just think how awesome it would be to have an accomplished statesperson like Hillary in the president's office for two decades or more.

If the actual votes were there, ok.

When you make the job less attractive, you are also more likely to end up with people running for office who are there for the right reasons, and actually want to do the job out of some notion that it is a public service. It's way too cush of a position with lots of nice benefits at the moment.

Ultimately what has to happen is that the ROI on lobbying/influencing Congresspeople has to decline. That only happens by government taking in less money (so it has less money to dole out) and less power. You have to structurally chance the fact that lobbying makes a ton of financial sense for the entity doing the lobbying. If you just take away the benefits of being a Congressperson, sure, maybe their time in Congress is a little less enjoyable, but they still set themselves up for a cush position at a lobbying firm once they step away.

Reactions: AM64 and VolStrom
When you make the job less attractive, you are also more likely to end up with people running for office who are there for the right reasons, and actually want to do the job out of some notion that it is a public service. It's way too cush of a position with lots of nice benefits at the moment.

Ultimately what has to happen is that the ROI on lobbying/influencing Congresspeople has to decline. That only happens by government taking in less money (so it has less money to dole out) and less power. You have to structurally chance the fact that lobbying makes a ton of financial sense for the entity doing the lobbying. If you just take away the benefits of being a Congressperson, sure, maybe their time in Congress is a little less enjoyable, but they still set themselves up for a cush position at a lobbying firm once they step away.

Now we have Lawyers, Drs and other professionals leaving highly lucrative jobs/businesses to run for a job that pays $174k a year. On the surface it would look like many of these people being elected are taking a pay cut but we all know that isn't the case so maybe making it a 90 day a year job without the great benefits, pay and perks would deter some of those running for the money.

You can't ban lobbying, that would violate teh 1A but we could institute a 2 year cooling off period and ban all sitting congressmen from trading stock while in office. Require monthly reporting of any stock trades made by their spouse.

It’s a good thought. Much of our problems are because as a country we don’t plan any further than 4 years into the future because of our election cycle. And even good policies by an incumbent are usually scrapped when then new guy takes office.

HOG!!!! Twelve years of biden??? Are you losing your grip on reality?

Reactions: InVOLuntary
Now we have Lawyers, Drs and other professionals leaving highly lucrative jobs/businesses to run for a job that pays $174k a year. On the surface it would look like many of these people being elected are taking a pay cut but we all know that isn't the case so maybe making it a 90 day a year job without the great benefits, pay and perks would deter some of those running for the money.

You can't ban lobbying, that would violate teh 1A but we could institute a 2 year cooling off period and ban all sitting congressmen from trading stock while in office. Require monthly reporting of any stock trades made by their spouse.
I agree. You can't ban lobbying, political parties, or some of the other things advocated here. You have to make being a politician and lobbying a less attractive career path.

It is very attractive at the moment because the government has a lot of money to dole out and the power to do it, and relatively small expenses towards Congressional campaigns or Super PACs can lead to huge income streams to corporations facilitated by the legislation the Congressperson crafts and passes for them.

I could maybe go with one 12 year term for a senator, and six years for a representative ... and no opportunity afterwards for federal office. That would at least be better than lifetime members of congress.

The entire reason for term limits is to minimize corruption, and to not make the political path a career path. Last time I checked we are not dealing with a corruption deficit. On the contrary...

I’ve always said planning to deal with the US long term had to be a foreign relations nightmare since the most powerful position on the world can rotate in any direction every four years. Anybody that deals with us on spoken word only are morons.

Reactions: Orangeburst
I agree. You can't ban lobbying, political parties, or some of the other things advocated here. You have to make being a politician and lobbying a less attractive career path.

It is very attractive at the moment because the government has a lot of money to dole out and the power to do it, and relatively small expenses towards Congressional campaigns or Super PACs can lead to huge income streams to corporations facilitated by the legislation the Congressperson crafts and passes for them.

I 100% agree that the only real solution is to cut the federal government down in size and power. Probably 90% of the existing federal agencies and departments could be gone tomorrow and most Americans wouldn't even know it.

I’ve always said planning to deal with the US long term had to be a foreign relations nightmare since the most powerful position on the world can rotate in any direction every four years. Anybody that deals with us on spoken word only are morons.

Chaotic and unpredictable has a benefit.

Look at how the Media Trump card was played regarding NATO. All he did was ask NATO nations to play their pledged share..and hell breaks loose.

Everything is so damn political within our own borders.

The entire reason for term limits is to minimize corruption, and to not make the political path a career path. Last time I checked we are not dealing with a corruption deficit. On the contrary...

Term limits just limit voters choice, they won't do a damn thing to curb corruption.

Chaotic and unpredictable has a benefit.

Look at how the Media Trump card was played regarding NATO. All he did was ask NATO nations to play their pledged share..and hell breaks loose.

Everything is so damn political within our own borders.
Yeah… it was fun to watch too 😂

I would be okay having no term limits if we had snap elections like in the UK. Politicians spend way too much time and energy near their reelections trying to figure out how to get voters to ignore how the preceding years had gone. If things went to absolute crap, a snap election would allow the people to have a say at the present moment.

Couldn't be a snap election. That wouldn't allow three months of voting and mail in ballots, so certain people would be disadvantaged.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt was the reason for term limits of the executive branch. Once he won a third term and was entrenching himself as president for life, congress freaked out.

VN Store

Back