The Official 2nd Amendment Appreciation Thread

So because I had nothing better to do today, I dove down the rifle barreling rabbit hole. I knew of the difference, but had never really looked into it that heavily (like 15 YouTube videos lol).

The 2 FN-15s I have are button rifled (but high pressure tested and magnetic particle inspected which is probably the biggest key). I was convinced I needed a cold hammer forged (CHF) barrel, which are more expensive, to the point where I had 2 uppers in the cart ready to order. The point of CHF is for the better resistance to heat and rapid fire (think M249/M240).

However, most Army rifles are button rifled (your standard M4/M16 is, the SASS is probably CHF). I shot the s*** out of my M4 (with a few *cough* mag dumps), and never had an issue. The button barrel is chrome lined as well, so there's really no advantage to CHF.

Suffice to say, I and 99.99% of everyone out there will never outshoot a barrel regardless. Save the money, and worst case buy a new one.

Now if you can get a CHF barreled rifle (Ruger MPR), for less than you can a button barreled rifle, it might be worth grabbing.

The difference between these two barrels is extremely minor. Typically, the US military uses FN button rifled barrels. The cold hammer forged barrels are sold in commercial markets, and CHF barrels make for very predictable and repeatable production quality. The hammer forge process is different that button rifling, and hammer forged barrels are very capital intensive, and often cost more due to the very expense forge machine. Quality between button rifled barrels and hammer forged, both with chrome lining will be quite similar. They will have equal durability and similar accuracy. Precision barrels with button rifling will tend to be more accurate than a hammer forged barrel, but in a military production environment, we cannot see any difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
The other debate is rifle twist.

1/8 is probably what I should have went with (again Ruger MPR, IWI Zion 15), however due to using 1/7 for 20 years, that's what I went with. However, with the most common 5.56 ammo being 55 or 62 grain, the 1/8 would make more sense.

I need to stay off the internet lol

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
6FFADD4A-B250-4152-A01B-08EE378EB781.jpeg

My 686+ finally arrived on Friday. The weather was yucky today, so for the first time since the start of the pandemic I shot indoors. Luckily the club I shoot at has a nice indoor range. It was interesting to put shots on paper and see down to the inch how I shot each gun.

I brought my three regular carry guns, plus the new revolver and my 1911. I’ve got some notes on each.

CB6C76DA-7204-4736-AC3D-44B8E30EB8DF.jpeg

686+ - impressive gun. I love the weight and feel of the weapon. The double action pull is heavy, but not awful when you are actually shooting. With 38 special it felt like shooting a regular 9mm pistol, but with more muzzle flash. With relatively warm .357 it makes an impression. It was plenty manageable, but it really packs a punch. How on earth do people shoot 357 out of a J-Frame?

Glock 19/sig P365XL - my regular carry guns. I’ve had the Sig for a year and the Glock for 5 months. I was surprised with how much better my groups were with the Sig. At 7 yards the Sig essentially punched a 2” hole with 10 rounds. With the Glock, all rounds were in a 6” circle, but I wasn’t impressed. I chalk it up to the red dot on the sig, it made a huge difference. I get why every pistol has an optics cut.

LCP Max - my gun I pocket carry when I go running. I hate this damn thing. It’s uncomfortable to shoot and beyond 3-5 yards, I’m just happy to put shots on a 12” circle. I love it for what it is, a “get off me” gun.

Springfield Armory Garrison 1911 - I’m warming up to this thing. I still don’t shoot it great, but I appreciate the power of the 45 ACP. I was really surprised by the amount of muzzle flash it produced. I never noticed it outside, but indoors, it produces a lot of flash, which I don’t understand why given its barrel length. Any ideas here? I can provide more details.

Yankee or anyone with knowledge.

Anyone know anything about the FN 545?
Anyone own one yet, shoot one, handle one?

I haven’t seen a ton of reliable info on them yet.

Been thinking hard about getting one sight unseen. Just hate getting into something new without knowledge. I’ve only done it once but
It was the Mossberg mc2sc and I had the mc1c. That one turned out amazing.

I feel confident the 545 will be great as the 509’s are……..just sometimes there are some hiccups with changeovers to larger frames (45 & 10mm).

Just let me know, thanks.

Reactions: YankeeVol
Yankee or anyone with knowledge.

Anyone know anything about the FN 545?
Anyone own one yet, shoot one, handle one?

I haven’t seen a ton of reliable info on them yet.

Been thinking hard about getting one sight unseen. Just hate getting into something new without knowledge. I’ve only done it once but
It was the Mossberg mc2sc and I had the mc1c. That one turned out amazing.

I feel confident the 545 will be great as the 509’s are……..just sometimes there are some hiccups with changeovers to larger frames (45 & 10mm).

Just let me know, thanks.
It’s not like FN has never made a 45 before.

The 545 is basically a 509 that shoots 45. It has the same s*** trigger.

I’d bet the chassis is the same.

I have the FNX 45 Tactical. Hammer fired. The only thing is that there is a manual safety (which is probably a good thing being DA/SA). It’s got a longer barrel.

I won’t be getting it (no need with the FNX), but I’d be confident buying a Gen 1 FN product.

Last edited:
Btw, I have a 509. Change the trigger and it’s awesome Lol. You could do the same thing with the 545 I’m sure.

I keep thinking about the Beretta CX-4 Storm. I know it’s probably the worst in the category, but I just love the looks. I’m seeing them pop up for under $600. If I see one less than $500, I’m sending it.

I paid 7 something for mine at PSA. I think they are on sale there now with the black one being considerably cheaper. Can’t remember the exact price. People knock on the looks but I like it and it’s a fun gun to shoot. I got the fde msr to match the gun but should’ve got the Romeo 5.

Reactions: Nerd-Vol

VN Store

Back