2023 Manning Award

1989Vol

I think Hooker could have won this award had he not suffered an injury. He still had great numbers through 11 games. This award allows Bowl game stats to be factored in with your season stats. Wish we had some kind of pull with the Mannings. :rolleyes:

Reactions: DickeyD
I love Peyton but shouldn't an award that celebrates postseason success be named for someone else? Or is it an award the Mannings created and give out to the player of their choice?

Reactions: DickeyD
Yes, do you? "The Manning Award has been presented annually since the 2004 football season to the collegiate American football quarterback as judged by the Sugar Bowl Committee to be the best in the United States." Do you really think Bennett was the "...best in the United States" He wasn't even the second best in the SEC!

Let's see if he was the best....He led his team to an undefeated season. He led his team to a National Title - his second by the way. Back to Back National Titles, Extremely Rare event. He set QB passing and scoring records for UGA. He was the MVP of every playoff game he's ever been in as well as the SEC championship. He beat every team on his schedule. He beat 7 top 25 teams in the final AP pole this year. He beat Hooker heads up (pretty badly if you care to recall). Also, you understand if you get injured during the season you get passed by others, correct?

So, now do you agree?

Reactions: pimo1 and Nooga
Let's see if he was the best....He led his team to an undefeated season. He led his team to a National Title - his second by the way. He set QB passing and scoring records for UGA. He was the MVP of every playoff game he's ever been in as well as the SEC championship. He beat every team on his schedule. He beat 7 top 25 teams in the final AP pole. He beat Hooker heads up (pretty badly if you care to recall). Also, you understand if you get injured during the season you get passed by others, correct? So, now do you agree?
You realize there’s 21 other guys on the field besides the quarterback, right?

You realize there’s 21 other guys on the field besides the quarterback, right?
Totally. This is an individual award not a team award. Bennett dominated and y'all just can't get over it. Cocky kid hit the lottery in college football. Right place, Right time..... Vols time is coming.
I would have loved for Hooker to have won it but it aint happening when you get hurt 2/3rds into the season and can't finish it out. They don't give out awards for that. There are a lot of people on this board that can't comprehend that fact. I guess they need a "Best Injured QB" award to make them happy.
Bennett was a great story and deserved everything he's gotten.

Let's see if he was the best....He led his team to an undefeated season. He led his team to a National Title - his second by the way. Back to Back National Titles, Extremely Rare event. He set QB passing and scoring records for UGA. He was the MVP of every playoff game he's ever been in as well as the SEC championship. He beat every team on his schedule. He beat 7 top 25 teams in the final AP pole this year. He beat Hooker heads up (pretty badly if you care to recall). Also, you understand if you get injured during the season you get passed by others, correct?

So, now do you agree?
No! I think the SEC coaches know more about the SEC QB's than the fans. They know what it takes to defend them. Your argument dismisses the fact that UGA's D was so much better than everyone else's. How would Bennett have fared facing the UGA D on any other team? Not as well as Hooker I would contend. Young and Hooker were both better QB's than Bennett. Stroud faced the UGA D and performed much better than Bennett would have. As a matter of fact, Stroud had a better game than Bennett head-to-head, even though he faced a much tougher defense.

Reactions: -GiveHim6-
No! I think the SEC coaches know more about the SEC QB's than the fans. They know what it takes to defend them. Your argument dismisses the fact that UGA's D was so much better than everyone else's. How would Bennett have fared facing the UGA D on any other team? Not as well as Hooker I would contend. Young and Hooker were both better QB's than Bennett. Stroud faced the UGA D and performed much better than Bennett would have. As a matter of fact, Stroud had a better game than Bennett head-to-head, even though he faced a much tougher defense.
LOL Bennett played against that D every day....This is what will help him get drafted as well. Practicing against 5-10 NFL players everyweek is kinda a big deal. he destroyed every defense and beat every player you mentioned. A true leader leads his team to wins when they are down by 14 points not once ..... but twice .... to a heisman finalist like Stroud. Even Hooker didn't do that. When Bennetts defense gave up the most points all year who do you think led that team down the field over and over? Oh, I showed Peyton your response and he said that you should probably take some Xanax and try and chill out...

Last edited:
As much as it sucks Bennett deserved the award.. as far as results he was the best QB in the nation.. he passed every test. Did he have a great team around him? Sure but arguably there were other teams that had as much if not better talent overall (Bama) or on the offensive side(OSU, USC). He delivered they didn't. Championships matter in those types of votes. Would I pick him over Stroud, Willams, Young, Hooker in the NFL draft? heck no but as far as delivering on the field against the best teams in the country no one did it better than him this year. UGA played and beat pretty much all the best teams in the country by the end of it all and won them all. He lead them to that. I hate UGA with a passion but credit where its due.

I don't think a single WR on UGA's roster would have started for UT this season...think about that for a second. Maybe Mckonkey beats out Keyton on the depth chart that's about it.

Reactions: Nooga
LOL Bennett played against that D every day....This is what will help him get drafted as well. Practicing against 5-10 NFL players everyweek is kinda a big deal. he destroyed every defense and beat every player you mentioned. A true leader leads his team to wins when they are down by 14 points not once ..... but twice .... to a heisman finalist like Stroud. Even Hooker didn't do that. When Bennetts defense gave up the most points all year who do you think led that team down the field over and over? Oh, I showed Peyton your response and he said that you should probably take some Xanax and try and chill out...
"Practice. We talking PRACTICE?!!!" During the season he practiced against the scout team, not the #1 D, and I will admit, when he did practice against the #1 D it helped him become better. But, the SEC coaches, the people who would have the best insight as to the best player, voted Hooker #1, Young #2, and Bennett #3. You disagree with the coaches. I don't.

"Practice. We talking PRACTICE?!!!" During the season he practiced against the scout team, not the #1 D, and I will admit, when he did practice against the #1 D it helped him become better. But, the SEC coaches, the people who would have the best insight as to the best player, voted Hooker #1, Young #2, and Bennett #3. You disagree with the coaches. I don't.
dude this about a trophy that covers the bowl games and playoffs. Nobody was better throughout yhan Bennett at the qb position. kid just wins.
I don’t disagree with anyone. You evidently disagree with the mannings and whoever else voted for him. It’s you not me.

VN Store

Back