Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
National-Peanut-Butter-Day-January-24.jpg

Add with MAYO and Bananas ....................... dream 'samich!

Yep. And fry that bad boy up! MMMMMMMMM

Reactions: peaygolf
I have 100% confidence in DW making that hire.

I do, too. But there is no guarantee that a new hire will have better success than Rick Barnes.

Also, two blue bloods just promoted an assistant. Both of their first regular seasons didn't get off to roaring starts. It's not easy.

This I don't understand people who pretend like we won't or can't get someone better. White is a respected name, TN seems to have a good NIL in place, and I think our AD will throw money at the right guy. Plus let's not forget White was the one who found Oats. It's not a foregone conclusion that we can't or won't do better.

I’m not saying we can’t do better. I’m just saying it will be difficult because how much better can this program honestly get than the Top 5-10 status Rick has gotten us to? The only thing this program is lacking right now is a deep March run and the list of “March coaches” IMO is really, really small.

Danny White is a godsend. Best hire this university has ever made. Leadership matters.

Top-down makes all the difference. I always point out that the engine making it run is Randy Boyd. He frees up the funding and provides the resources DW and the coaches need to fuel the success we're seeing. He's not a career-track college president; he knows you have to spend money to make money. He won't be in this job forever-- we should appreciate every year.

I do, too. But there is no guarantee that a new hire will have better success than Rick Barnes.

Also, two blue bloods just promoted an assistant. Both of their first regular seasons didn't get off to roaring starts. It's not easy.
In no way am I advocating for Barnes to be fired…. I am very appreciative and proud to have him as the head basketball coach of Tennesse…. That being said real success is in the tourney… might not duplicate the same regular season success but may be able to go on a deeper run or two…. I really hope this team can make it happen this year.

What if there is a small underground cave at the bottom, filled with water to cushion the blow so they don't suffer instant death. But then the impact causes them to get stuck in between rocks and unable to free themselves due to the seat belts being damaged from the fall and they slowly drown.

You are a very mean, mean, mean man/woman, etc.

😂

This I don't understand people who pretend like we won't or can't get someone better. White is a respected name, TN seems to have a good NIL in place, and I think our AD will throw money at the right guy. Plus let's not forget White was the one who found Oats. It's not a foregone conclusion that we can't or won't do better.

Unless something unforeseen happens, UT will know ahead of time and Rick will help get someone on board. He has a good relationship with DW and RB. The program is stable and built to win now,. It's championship-caliber and ready to take the next step-- with Rick as long as he's here and after.

Unless something unforeseen happens, UT will know ahead of time and Rick will help get someone on board. He has a good relationship with DW and RB. The program is stable and built to win now,. It's championship-caliber and ready to take the next step-- with Rick as long as he's here and after.
I'm not a Rick lover by any means, but I've always figured when it's time, he retires while he is given a nice little settlement under the table to move on.

I wonder why. I’m not as big a basketball guy as some (I love watching CBB, especially the Vols, but I know it way less than football), but it’s been so consistent for the last decade-plus. I think he’s only gotten out of the first weekend once in something like 13 or 14 years. That’s just odd to me. He seems an objectively good coach but the tournament just never goes his way.
Think he gets his teams stressed before games some times and they play tight. Much like our losses this year. They seem like they are thinking too much and nervous instead of just playing. But when they are on and fired up, we can beat anyone.

I’m not saying we can’t do better. I’m just saying it will be difficult because how much better can this program honestly get than the Top 5-10 status Rick has gotten us to? The only thing this program is lacking right now is a deep March run and the list of “March coaches” IMO is really, really small.
And if Barnes ever makes that run I'll leave him alone, but we have 20 years of history that says he wont.

Please don't say Kevin Durant's team because no one understands how that team was made up.
No, I would only say two UT teams should have made it farther. But that damn Purdue couldn’t miss a three. Guy could throw up half court shots not looking and it would go in.

Think he gets his teams stressed before games some times and they play tight. Much like our losses this year. They seem like they are thinking too much and nervous instead of just playing. But when they are on and fired up, we can beat anyone.
I've always thought it's his stubbornness, he keeps rotations deeper than most late into the season, he insists on running his offense instead of just letting his best guys make plays in crunch time. And then lack of trust, I go back to the Purdue S16 game, going into OT he sat Grant 2x SEC POY on the bench to start OT because he had 4 fouls. Purdue opened up a 2 possession lead and never looked back. He has to trust a player like Grant not to foul out.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
I'm not a Rick lover by any means, but I've always figured when it's time, he retires while he is given a nice little settlement under the table to move on.

He has other things he wants to do-- whenever he decides it's time to do them. IDT it's imminent, but he'll be 69 this year and his family is very important to him.

He has other things he wants to do-- whenever he decides it's time to do them. IDT it's imminent, but he'll be 69 this year and his family is very important to him.
I think he badly wants that run, now how deep remains to be seen. But I could see him walking away if he makes that EE/FF run at TN.

I think he badly wants that run, now how deep remains to be seen. But I could see him walking away if he makes that EE/FF run at TN.

I'm sure he wants to make a deep run and change the narrative, but no matter what, he'll leave the program better than he found it. I think everybody would like him to end his career on a high note. He's done a lot for, and meant a lot to, UT. Boyd was right to pay him to stick. Regardless of how it ends, that leap of faith paid off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back