How long it had been since TN beat LSU…

It has never happened.

Closest was in the 1982-1983 school year:
-- On October 9th, 1982, the Vols football team went to Baton Rouge and tied LSU, 24-24.
-- Three months later, on January 10th, 1983, the Basketvols went to Louisiana and beat the Tigers, 59-58.

Note that the Basketvols didn't even have a single spare point to share with the football team to get them over the hump. Those two games were as close as a football and basketball game could be in combination.

We have beaten LSU in both sports in a single year several times ('01 most recently). Just never both wins in Baton Rouge.

Last edited:
It has never happened.

-- On October 9th, 1982, the Vols football team went to Baton Rouge and tied LSU, 24-24.
-- Three months later, on January 10th, 1983, the Basketvols went to Louisiana and beat the Tigers, 59-58.

Note that the Basketvols didn't even have a single spare point to share with the football team to get them over the hump. Those two games were as close as a football and basketball game could be in combination.

We have beaten LSU in both sports in a single year several times ('01 most recently). Just never both wins in Baton Rouge.

I couldn’t remember it happening in my lifetime. Greatly appreciate you digging for that info 👏🏻

It has never happened.

A+ for your work my man.

Good stuff! LSU is one of 4 teams that Johnny Majors had a winning record against in the SEC. Vandy, Kentucky and Ole Miss being the other 3. And they are only on our football schedule like every 4 years or so.

Reactions: brockytop
in Baton Rouge in both football and basketball in the same sports year before now? I’m guessing 50 years or more 🤷🏻

Well yesterday was our 27th BB win at LSU it's now 27 to 28 at LSU, UT 0wns overall record in BB 66 to 50. So, I'd say since we've beat them @ LSU 27 times it has happened some. The qualifier is we don't play them in football yearly so it's a lousy measuring stick.

It has never happened.

This year's teams could spare some points to send back to '82. We won both games on their turf and spanked their stripy butts in both cases. Maybe send some of those points to the LVs though, goimg to be tough for them to make the trifecta (certainly possible though!).

Reactions: VFL-82-JP

VN Store

Back