Question about portal

I think you forfeit your scholarship and all other privileges of an athlete when you enter the portal, but retain your student status. So you can go to one of the student gyms, but not the football facilities in the Thornton Center. You can eat at the student dining halls, but not the team tables. You can attend class, but not team workouts.

That's how I think it is, could be wrong.

If you choose to withdraw from the portal, you can ask for the scholarship and all those other privileges back--basically, you can ask to rejoin the team--but it is not automatic. It is a decision by the coaching staff.

I think.

I think that's up to the coaches and player. We've had guys enter the portal only to stay but there's probably some scenarios where we wouldn't have taken a guy back.

Reactions: Jimmyandjoes
If you enter and you are not picked by someone can you stay at Tennessee
Once you enter your name into the portal, the school has the right to pull your scholarship. That's the protection for the school. If you decide to stay at your current school, there is no guarantee you you'll get your scholarship. It's strictly up to the coach at this point.

I think once your gone, your gone, unless they never wanted you to leave and they take you back......but who knows, I don't understand any of it at this point to be honest.

Reactions: VolBricks
I think you forfeit your scholarship and all other privileges of an athlete when you enter the portal, but retain your student status. So you can go to one of the student gyms, but not the football facilities in the Thornton Center. You can eat at the student dining halls, but not the team tables. You can attend class, but not team workouts.

That's how I think it is, could be wrong.

If you choose to withdraw from the portal, you can ask for the scholarship and all those other privileges back--basically, you can ask to rejoin the team--but it is not automatic. It is a decision by the coaching staff.

I think.

I understand that kids in the portal could have participated in the bowl game. Now I think that would be awkward all around but was told it was possible for that to take place.

Once you enter your name into the portal, the school has the right to pull your scholarship. That's the protection for the school. If you decide to stay at your current school, there is no guarantee you you'll get your scholarship. It's strictly up to the coach at this point.
Schools have always had the right to pull scholarships. They are one year agreements

Wasn’t Emory Jones in the portal for Florida during the previous bowl season and they allowed him to play in the Gasparilla Bowl? Maybe he hadn’t officially entered into the portal at that point but seemed like an awkward situation to be in.

I understand that kids in the portal could have participated in the bowl game. Now I think that would be awkward all around but was told it was possible for that to take place.

Correct. I don't know the rule, but Saban said in a press conference that offered his portal guys the oppertunity to play. All 10 declined though.

I assume there's some paperwork involved in the portal process too. So it may be a matter of whether you've verbally entered the portal or actually filled out the paperwork.

I assume there's some paperwork involved in the portal process too. So it may be a matter of whether you've verbally entered the portal or actually filled out the paperwork.

You complete paperwork to go in portal and turn in to compliance. They have 48 hours to actually enter you in the portal database

Schools have always had the right to pull scholarships. They are one year agreements
You are correct; however, there are a few exceptions. For instance, if you accept an athletic scholarship from Duke, you have accepted a LIFETIME scholarship. A great example would be Jay Bilas. Once he returned from playing ball in Europe, he came back to Duke and earned his Law degree. I think that is about the best educational perk offered in college athletics.

Tennessee, like most SEC schools, only provides a one year agreement that is renewable if UT wishes. I have read in the past there are several schools that offer initial multi-year agreements, Usually a school matches what other schools are offering in their conference or region.

If you enter and you are not picked by someone can you stay at Tennessee
Think I found the complete answer.
In a case where a player enters the transfer portal and doesn't find a new school there, he or she can decide to transfer elsewhere as a scholarship player or as a walk-on. The player is free to withdraw from the portal at any time. Or he/she can choose to enter the transfer portal some other time.
The transfer portal is sortable by different things like school, division, conference, name, and sport. And a coach can sort for student-athletes by the most recent players to enter the portal and save names to a "Transfer Watch List."
Usually, every entry on the transfer portal has a "Transfer Tracer," where coaches can find details about a player. There are no phone numbers for the student-athletes, only email addresses are available.
Like we mentioned earlier, as a player, you have the freedom to withdraw your name at any time. But, schools are under no obligation to keep you on a scholarship once you enter the transfer portal.

VN Store

Back