Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why don't people understand that to "spill the beans" here is just the same as phoning our rivals with the information -- to say nothing of additional considerations.
Spilling the beans prematurely is what got Atlanta Vol so much heat. Because things change rapidly. He wasn't lying or making stuff up, he'd say things before theybwere finalized then we'd get the rug swept from under us.

This new guy is telling enough. Stuff in the works.

All of this boxing talk reminded me of another "stupid things you did as a kid in the 70s-80s moment". I went with a buddy of mine on their family vacation to the OuterBanks. Rode in the enclosed bed of their diesel pickup, complete with nary a seat belt and an extra diesel tank with the included fumes . It was the night of Duran/Leonard 1, and we listened to the fight on some high powered AM station out of NYC on a transistor radio. Great fight from what I can recall, post diesel fumes and all. 😜

Tyson would try to get in close for his combo, then hug. Ali would dance around, jabbing and countering. Trying to push off. But yes, there would be some hugging.
Don’t know who would win but Tyson could throw massive uppercuts from the clinch. It seems like people forget he was like a bull coming at people and wanted to fight in a phone booth. If you didn’t get a perfect tie up with him you were eating hands.

Don’t know who would win but Tyson could throw massive uppercuts from the clinch. It seems like people forget he was like a bull coming at people and wanted to fight in a phone booth. If you didn’t get a perfect tie up with him you were eating hands.
Have you watched video of the Greatest?

The two best boxing matches I ever saw were Hagler vs Hearns and Ron Lyle vs Ernie Shavers. Lyle vs Shavers was something that people should see if you want to see Heavy Weights go at it. Jack Dempsey fought 17 fights in one year and only weighed 187 lbs. He had 85 fights total. Ali said Ezzard Charles would have caused him more trouble than any other boxer if they had ever fought.

Sugar Ray and Hitman had some epic battles

My dad used to ump high school baseball, he quit when he got fed up with it. He said the kids didn't really know what they were doing and coaches weren't teaching fundamentals. Also every high school coach thinks every game is game 7 of the world series.
I never realized so many parents had played in the World Series. It seemed they all were living something they wish they could have done through their kids. I quit coaching when they wanted me to coach a travel ball team. To me that wasn't kids learning and having fun by playing 65 games at age 12. I have a friend that played college ball at Cumberland and he is still close to the coaches he had and we were talking about travel ball one day. He said the college coach told him the biggest difference he sees now as opposed to 25 years ago is he gets great baseball players but few athletes, in that baseball is all they have ever done as opposed to playing every sport when they were young. Things change I guess but not always for the better.

If it was Hadden i wouldn't mind. Around the end of 2021 i thought he could play but then as it went on i realized he absolutely cannot. Only person out of position more than him is Tank of course.

All the Hadden antics make it even worse. That stuff is more than fine if you can actually go out there on the field but he just embarrasses everyone wearing orange with that bs. Popping up talking mad sh*t after giving up his 4th 30yard gain of the night gets old pretty quick.
Why do you think both of them start? We have two db coaches with eyes on them every practice.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
In the grand scheme of things, is it actually bad parenting? Or just parenting you don’t approve of? Not like this is a video of kids beating up another kid or a video of kids stealing things or getting arrested for something.

It’s annoying and dumb and never would’ve been allowed when I was a kid but I think calling it bad parenting is a tad much.
It is poor parenting imo. Who raiises them, teaches them, sets the example, disciplines etc?

Reactions: Vol423
Expect less and that's what you'll get. I help coach baseball a couple of years and one thing I noticed is every parent thought their kid was ready to play for the Yankees but they never took the time to show them the basics and kids in general thrive on discipline to a certain extent. If you challenge a kid they will usually surpass what you think they can do if you show you really care.

I don’t disagree necessarily, I just don’t think it shows bad parenting. A much more relaxed approach to coaching than what I grew up with, absolutely.

Reactions: thistime

My sons basketball team acted the same way this weekend.

Reminds me of Ricky Bobby's kids.

Seriously. That look is fine if you are an NBA player. But that behavior is way less endearing when you work at Wendy's. And there's way more Wendy's workers than NBA players.

So maybe use youth sports to teach your kids how to act off the court. JMO

It is poor parenting imo. Who raiises them, teaches them, sets the example, disciplines etc?

Certainly everyone is entitled to opinion. But if your kid isn’t getting in trouble and is spending their time playing sports, is it really so bad that they emulate what they see on tv? Like this is a pretty minor offense in a case for poor parenting.

I don’t disagree necessarily, I just don’t think it shows bad parenting. A much more relaxed approach to coaching than what I grew up with, absolutely.
Proudest moment I had coaching is when we had a kid that had a great arm and could catch everything but he wanted to play second base and just wasn't rangey enough so we wanted him to play center field. I told him he could shine there if he would just make the effort. I noticed he stop joking around during practice and real accepted what I knew he could do. I pushed him a bit but the kid one day just got it. He really became good and made the All Star team at center field. I went to watch the team play that first day and he had a smile from ear to ear with that uniform on. Made me feel like I did something that maybe showed him he could become good at anything if he worked for it.

Certainly everyone is entitled to opinion. But if your kid isn’t getting in trouble and is spending their time playing sports, is it really so bad that they emulate what they see on tv? Like this is a pretty minor offense in a case for poor parenting.
It might happen once.......but not twice. Not while they are a child in my home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back