‘23 MO EDGE Chandavian Bradley (Tennessee Commit)

That's what you took from that video? I envisioned him jumping a snap count, getting a strip sack and goal post dunking the scoop and score.
I took notice of how incredibly quick he was. Our opponents better have some long armed, quick feet guys playing tackle or their qb’s will be feeling the heat on passing downs

BJ Ojulari had similar measurables coming out of high school. Kid will be fine.
If i remember correctly BJ was more like Josephs size. I get the knee jerk reaction for Herring and Bradley being 6’5 210-215. But those dudes aren’t playing next year unless it’s against @peaygolf or UConn. They’ve got 1.5 years to add the good weight they need. In the same breath, another guy like that, Pearce, could be a huge difference maker if he’s been putting in the proper work

BJ was 6'4/215 I think

Plus what is a huge piece of the puzzle is projecting weight based on the player's frame. Most fans just see a height and a weight and make statements about being too small. Some 6'2, 215lb 18 year olds are too small because their frame is not built to hold more weight. Some have lots of room to grow. He has a frame that seems obvious can hold quite a bit more weight.

Plus what is a huge piece of the puzzle is projecting weight based on the player's frame. Most fans just see a height and a weight and make statements about being too small. Some 6'2, 215lb 18 year olds are too small because their frame is not built to hold more weight. Some have lots of room to grow. He has a frame that seems obvious can hold quite a bit more weight.
I'd rather have a long, lanky edge rusher with high upside that you can add weight to then a bunch of guys filled out who will be just solid. I mean obviously if you can get both, that'd be ideal but most 17-18 year old edge rushers are nowhere near filled out yet

Jevon Kearse was 6'4" 215lbs when he showed up in Gainesville. He began his career in Florida playing safety. Went on to become one of the best defensive players in school history.

At the combine he measured just shy of 6'5" 262lbs. Went on to post 74 career sacks and be a Titans legend.

Bradley, Herring, Josephs, and Pearce will be fine.

Jevon Kearse was 6'4" 215lbs when he showed up in Gainesville. He began his career in Florida playing safety. Went on to become one of the best defensive players in school history.

At the combine he measured just shy of 6'5" 262lbs. Went on to post 74 career sacks and be a Titans legend.

Across the board, yeah. Not worried about a young man out of high school not being ready to play SEC ball on day 1, that's what the S&C program is for. But I do caveat that w/in the portal era, not every player is willing to wait out that development time. A kid w/high potential but raw, who mostly sits for two years getting physically and mentally in shape and then transfers out to another program getting the polished player w/out having to invest the time and scholarship is a bummer.

Across the board, yeah. Not worried about a young man out of high school not being ready to play SEC ball on day 1, that's what the S&C program is for. But I do caveat that w/in the portal era, not every player is willing to wait out that development time. A kid w/high potential but raw, who mostly sits for two years getting physically and mentally in shape and then transfers out to another program getting the polished player w/out having to invest the time and scholarship is a bummer.
That is where the coach keeps him interested in the program and his progress. Saban and some other coaches are able do it all the time.

Reactions: SoilVol
Yeah, but I'm not sure what you suggest the solution to that "problem" is for guys who aren't physically ready to play day 1? Not recruit them because they might transfer?

That is where the coach keeps him interested in the program and his progress. Saban and some other coaches are able do it all the time.
You have to be able to successfully stack talent to be a consistent top 10 team if you're in the SEC. Having an excellent culture, producing draft picks, NIL for current players, and 10+ win seasons will allow you to keep the majority of kids that sign out of high school. The goal should always be to recruit over your existing roster. Healthy competition breeds champions. Iron sharpens iron and all that stuff. But your nucleus still has to be identifying as many "team first" guys that also fit that athletic profile. That's why I love the fact that this staff identifies the guys they want early, and trusts their own evaluations.

Yeah, but I'm not sure what you suggest the solution to that "problem" is for guys who aren't physically ready to play day 1? Not recruit them because they might transfer?

I have no suggested solutions and I'm not sure there are any. Just pointing out one of the realities of today's game.

I think you mitigate and limit it as best you can by bringing in kids that are good fits and believe in what you're doing.

You beat me to it. I was thinking about Kearse as well. He was an outside LB in college his last year.

It is but the portal goes both ways 😉

VN Store

Back