My guess at permanent teams after SEC realignment.

Vfl2407

If Sankey and the SEC power structure go to 9 conference games with three permanent rivals and 6 rotators each season when Texas and Oklahoma join in either 2024 or 2025, this is what I think the 3 permanent teams will be for each of the 16 schools.

ALA - AUB, TENN, VAN
ARK - TEX, MIZ, OLE
AUB - ALA, UGA, MSU
FLA - UGA, LSU, USC
KEN - TENN, MSU, VAN
LSU - OLE, TAMU, FLA
MIZ - ARK, USC, OU
OLE - MSU, LSU, ARK
MSU - OLE, KEN, AUB
OU - TEX, TAMU, MIZ
TAMU - TEX, LSU, OU
TENN - ALA, KEN, VAN
TEX - OU, TAMU, ARK
UGA - FLA, AUB, USC
USC - UGA, FLA, MIZ
VAN - TENN, ALA, KEN

Tell me where you think im wrong and/or, if you agree with me, which schools would make out the best and which the worst with my scenario.

Just play feetball, knock the slobber-snot out of whoever has the audacity to be on the same field as us. De-Saban the SEC, make origami out of all OOC opponents, including bowl teams, and set 'em on fire. Come one, came all, the Vols-circus is back with orange-hued kaleidoscopes accompanying an organ blasting Rockytop. Nope, you ain't seen nothing like that. We's the Vols, we don't follow, we lead.

Last edited:
Reactions: vols72
Who the permanents are is going to matter so much less for schedule balance on the 3/6/6 schedule than it does now because there are going to be so many more rotating opponents (6 every year instead of 1). The majority of the schedule will be rotating instead of just 1 out of 8.

If Sankey and the SEC power structure go to 9 conference games with three permanent rivals and 6 rotators each season when Texas and Oklahoma join in either 2024 or 2025, this is what I think the 3 permanent teams will be for each of the 16 schools.

ALA - AUB, TENN, VAN
ARK - TEX, MIZ, OLE
AUB - ALA, UGA, MSU
FLA - UGA, LSU, USC
KEN - TENN, MSU, VAN
LSU - OLE, TAMU, FLA
MIZ - ARK, USC, OU
OLE - MSU, LSU, ARK
MSU - OLE, KEN, AUB
OU - TEX, TAMU, MIZ
TAMU - TEX, LSU, OU
TENN - ALA, KEN, VAN
TEX - OU, TAMU, ARK
UGA - FLA, AUB, USC
USC - UGA, FLA, MIZ
VAN - TENN, ALA, KEN

Tell me where you think im wrong and/or, if you agree with me, which schools would make out the best and which the worst with my scenario.
Have fun Texas A&M.
I agree they would have the toughest and I think MSU the easiest.

Who the permanents are is going to matter so much less for schedule balance on the 3/6/6 schedule than it does now because there are going to be so many more rotating opponents (6 every year instead of 1). The majority of the schedule will be rotating instead of just 1 out of 8.
True.
Our schedule would probably see us playing UGA one year and UF the next and the same with Tex and OU.

Reactions: LadyVolette

ALA - AUB, TENN, VAN
ARK - TEX, MIZ, OLE
AUB - ALA, UGA, MSU
FLA - UGA, LSU, USC
KEN - TENN, MSU, VAN
LSU - OLE, TAMU, FLA
MIZ - ARK, USC, OU
OLE - MSU, LSU, ARK
MSU - OLE, KEN, AUB
OU - TEX, TAMU, MIZ
TAMU - TEX, LSU, OU
TENN - ALA, KEN, VAN
TEX - OU, TAMU, ARK
UGA - FLA, AUB, USC
USC - UGA, FLA, MIZ
VAN - TENN, ALA, KEN

Great post! Hubbs said on the VQ pod that the 6/3 format is almost a certainty, so I’m glad you did this.

I think keeping Bama-LSU would make a lot of sense instead of Bama-Vandy, but I don’t know about the domino effect. And the SEC might wanna give Bama that layup game. But if not, perhaps make the following changes:

Bama: LSU instead of Vandy
LSU: Bama instead of aTm
Vandy: aTm instead of Bama
aTm: Vandy instead of LSU

This also helps aTm a little. As some allude, they’d have the toughest permanent schedule under your format.

It's hard to say who has it toughest or easiest because there will be a lot of change as the decade rolls on. As someone posted earlier, the difficult thing will be having a constantly rotating group of the six other teams on the schedule every year. From a competitive standpoint, it will be fantastic for the networks and fans in general, but there will be seasons where 9 or 10 wins will be incredibly hard to achieve.

One thing for sure - scheduling tough OOC games will not be advisable, as getting to the playoff through the SEC meat grinder is going to be difficult enough without adding another potential loss.

Imo, they will keep -
ARK/LSU (Battle for the Boot trophy)
Ole Miss / Vandy (have played for 100 yrs...)
A&M / USC (new rivalry, but balances adding Texas and OU for them).

VOLS will keep Bama, Vandy, KY

It is going to be hard keeping some longstanding rivals while balancing schedules

It's hard to say who has it toughest or easiest because there will be a lot of change as the decade rolls on. As someone posted earlier, the difficult thing will be having a constantly rotating group of the six other teams on the schedule every year. From a competitive standpoint, it will be fantastic for the networks and fans in general, but there will be seasons where 9 or 10 wins will be incredibly hard to achieve.

One thing for sure - scheduling tough OOC games will not be advisable, as getting to the playoff through the SEC meat grinder is going to be difficult enough without adding another potential loss.

I think the 12 team playoff might encourage some tougher OOC games because you can lose 2-3 games and still get in, especially with a difficult SOS.

Reactions: sami and Post4Vols
If you are a western division team you should have at least 2 teams from the West on your permanent base schedule.
Same applies to Eastern Division.

Alabama should sub LSU, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, or Arkansas vs Vandy.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
Let each school decide if they have permanents or not. Otherwise the conference should have no say about it and if the rotation setup is done correctly you'll get everyone equally sooner or later.

Vandy and Mizzou are not going to have a problem being invited as one of everybody's permanent foes. I hate Bama but drop them and make them rotational. Not sure we need ANYBODY as a permanent foe. Just rotate through and be done with it. I'd much rather if we must have two permanent foes make them in state Vandy and Florida or Texas, the battle of the UTs.

Reactions: SpookyAction
I think we should go to an NFL type scheduling format. Keep your 1-2 permanent opponents and the rest is based on how you finish the year before. I think it would create better lead balance and avoid a good team walking to a perfect record. Jmo

Here was my prediction:

Alabama - Auburn, Tennessee, Miss State (the two schools are very close and this is one of the longest running series in the SEC)
Auburn - Alabama, Georgia, and Ole Miss
Arkansas - LSU, Missouri, and Texas
Florida - Georgia, LSU, and South Carolina
Georgia - Auburn, Florida, and South Carolina
Kentucky - South Carolina, Tennessee, and Vanderbilt
LSU - Arkansas, Florida, and Texas A&M
Missouri - Arkansas, Mississippi State, and Oklahoma
Oklahoma - Missouri, Texas, and Texas A&M
Ole Miss - Auburn, Miss State, Vanderbilt
Miss State - Alabama, Missouri, and Ole Miss
South Carolina - Florida, Georgia, and Kentucky
Tennessee - Alabama, Kentucky, and Vanderbilt
Texas - Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas A&M
Texas A&M - LSU, Oklahoma, Texas
Vanderbilt - Kentucky, Ole Miss, and Tennessee

I could see Missouri going with South Carolina and Kentucky-Miss State still playing each other. However, Missouri and Miss State are close so that could work out.

I don't think Alabama keeps LSU, their schedule would be too stacked. I think they keep Miss State because it is one of the longest running series and it keeps their schedule lighter.

Here was my prediction:

Alabama - Auburn, Tennessee, Miss State (the two schools are very close and this is one of the longest running series in the SEC)
Auburn - Alabama, Georgia, and Ole Miss
Arkansas - LSU, Missouri, and Texas
Florida - Georgia, LSU, and South Carolina
Georgia - Auburn, Florida, and South Carolina
Kentucky - South Carolina, Tennessee, and Vanderbilt
LSU - Arkansas, Florida, and Texas A&M
Missouri - Arkansas, Mississippi State, and Oklahoma
Oklahoma - Missouri, Texas, and Texas A&M
Ole Miss - Auburn, Miss State, Vanderbilt
Miss State - Alabama, Missouri, and Ole Miss
South Carolina - Florida, Georgia, and Kentucky
Tennessee - Alabama, Kentucky, and Vanderbilt
Texas - Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas A&M
Texas A&M - LSU, Oklahoma, Texas
Vanderbilt - Kentucky, Ole Miss, and Tennessee

I could see Missouri going with South Carolina and Kentucky-Miss State still playing each other. However, Missouri and Miss State are close so that could work out.

I don't think Alabama keeps LSU, their schedule would be too stacked. I think they keep Miss State because it is one of the longest running series and it keeps their schedule lighter.

This looks right

i see now scenario where Tennessee doesent play Florida/Georgia yearly.
They'll probably just play Florida one year and Georgia the next now, etc., etc. or vice versa. The only options under this plan are you play 3 teams every year and all other 12 teams every other year, so no matter what you are going to be playing every team twice in four years.

VN Store

Back