Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iā€™m still 15 pages behind but.

1) No way Titans fire Vrabel. Heā€™s an outstanding coach and somehow was a fumble away from winning the AFC South again.

2) Whatā€™s the scoop on Mitchell, insiders? Donā€™t think many are sad to see him go? Personality mesh issues?

Neurontin (gabapentin) was developed to treat ALS. It didnā€™t work for ALS at all.
During the research it was noted to stop seizures and reduce nerve pain symptoms. It was never intended as a psychiatric medication.
I was at the med school during development and testing of Neurontin (gabapentin). I was part of the ALS clinic. It was awful how nothing has really helped ALSā€¦

All of the meds in this family have a number 1 side effect of sedation or depression of CNS function. If you drive for a living, thatā€™s an unacceptable risk. Lower dosage could help with little to no sedation.

That doesn't really surprise me. Many of the main drugs used to treat bipolar, schizophrenia, anxiety and depression etc are off-label uses. There are probably more that were developed for other things (like gabapentin for ALS) than there are those that were actually developed and approved for those conditions. Tramadol is the one I'd think of first after gabapentin as being most associated with pain relief but a huge number of drugs, especially anti-seizure drugs would fall there too. (On a related note - I wonder what the percentage of drugs developed and approved for one condition but used for completely unrelated ones is? My guess would be that it's shockingly high given the way the FDA approval process works).

And I agree with you 1000 percent, it is an absolute shame that we haven't done much in the way of ALS.

I don't think anyone should take gabapentin and drive (I'm not really arguing against that or didn't mean to if it read that way) but I also think changing the scheduling because it was more recently prescribed alongside opiods and opiates is dumb but beyond that it's bad for a number of reasons. Going from an easily accessible drug that a lot of people use for varying conditions to one that requires you to see a doctor once a month, goes into the various RX counts and point systems that states are instituting with how many of x can be prescribed, and subjects patients to a high level of scrutiny, missed worked, and financial distress is absolutely an unwarranted burden that is unfair to both patients and doctors.

We know where the recreational and abuse deaths are coming from and it's not from regular people trying to access medications that make their lives better. As you mentioned in your other post, things like fentanyl by way of China is a major culprit and a lot of those deaths were related to casual users thinking they were taking oxycodone or hydrocodone because only to OD because it's actually fentanyl that had been pressed to look like a different legitimate medication.

We've done this with so many drugs so many times with almost universally the same results and now with much of it focused on drugs used for legitimate purposes the stupidity is affecting a lot more people in more ways than in years past. And the fact that we are criminalizing medicine is morally offensive.

There's got to be more sanity than our current model of regulate, make things worse for patients and deadly for users, regulate, make things worse for patients and more deadly for users.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back