'22 GA RB Justin Williams (Cal)

How did this guy not work out at UT? Baffling.

I have been asking the same question. He was ranked above Sampson coming in but didn't seem to get much of a chance in games. I wonder if he just didn't practice well. But I have no idea.

I have been asking the same question. He was ranked above Sampson coming in but didn't seem to get much of a chance in games. I wonder if he just didn't practice well. But I have no idea.

If I had to guess he was not as fast as our two experienced guys this year, not as twitchy as Sampson and did not see big back in his future after eyeing Keith. Just not enough carries at the primary back position for 3 to share. Simply a fit thing, not an ability thing. I was really pleased when he jumped on board.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
Will get a good education and Shaw really lowered the talent of that roster over the years so he’ll be able to compete for snaps right away.

Wish he would have toughed it out here but Stanford is an easy place to root for him.
Not really, they were still top 25 in the talent composite. The bigger issue has been with his coaching staff and losing S&C guru Shannon Turley, who was forced out after a school investigation.

Reactions: VolNash17 and sjt18
thats not really the truth. Shaw been hanging on by a thread, its why he was so willing to walk away
stanford has Not adjusted to the current landscape of college football and likely will not.

they are not able to just take portal transfers due to their standards. so when their guys leave, they are unable to replace them.
a lot of kids get there and realize stanford does NO favors for their athletic department. its one of the reasons they have a boatload of talent leaving every year.

good luck to Justin, this move also shows his priorities are not necessarily football which isnt a bad thing when you have a britght future outside of this meat market
Stanford doesn’t hold their recruited athletes to the same academic standards as their typical students. Stanford doesn’t have the babysitting type of academic tudoring system of an SEC school. There are tudors available but it’s not mandatory and not nearly as hands on compared to UT’s program

Reactions: #Vol4Life1991
thats not really the truth. Shaw been hanging on by a thread, its why he was so willing to walk away
stanford has Not adjusted to the current landscape of college football and likely will not.

they are not able to just take portal transfers due to their standards. so when their guys leave, they are unable to replace them.
a lot of kids get there and realize stanford does NO favors for their athletic department. its one of the reasons they have a boatload of talent leaving every year.

good luck to Justin, this move also shows his priorities are not necessarily football which isnt a bad thing when you have a britght future outside of this meat market
Shaw actually recruited pretty well in terms of what Stanford limits in acceptance. Repeatedly got top 25 classes. The massive injuries and the new age NIL/Tranfer portal basically took him out

He wasn't as good as Sampson.

That's why, and if people weren't so stuck on stupid "star rankings" they could've clearly seen that coming....

Reactions: white65
If I had to guess he was not as fast as our two experienced guys this year, not as twitchy as Sampson and did not see big back in his future after eyeing Keith. Just not enough carries at the primary back position for 3 to share. Simply a fit thing, not an ability thing. I was really pleased when he jumped on board.
I think it’s more of a system fit than anything. He seems more suited for a Georgia/Stanford type of offense. I really wish it would’ve worked out though, but I’m glad he’s leaving the conference. Because he’s going to be a stud

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I think it’s more of a system fit than anything. He seems more suited for a Georgia/Stanford type of offense. I really wish it would’ve worked out though, but I’m glad he’s leaving the conference. Because he’s going to be a stud
Why? We are going after big backs too

He wasn't as good as Sampson.

That's why, and if people weren't so stuck on stupid "star rankings" they could've clearly seen that coming....
Tend to think RB's are a $.25 a dozen. Not as many as used to be. But, def easier to come by than, say a CB.

Def not a position im concerned about.

Why? We are going after big backs too
It has nothing to do with size. He worked almost exclusively out of pistol sets. It may not seem all that different, but working exclusively out of the shotgun is a pretty big difference in what he was used to running out of in HS. He’s a super talented back, he just didn’t fit well enough in our offense fast enough. I think if he’s put in a pro-style single back offense or working more out of the pistol that he will be fine though

It has nothing to do with size. He worked almost exclusively out of pistol sets. It may not seem all that different, but working exclusively out of the shotgun is a pretty big difference in what he was used to running out of in HS. He’s a super talented back, he just didn’t fit well enough in our offense fast enough. I think if he’s put in a pro-style single back offense or working more out of the pistol that he will be fine though
So you’re saying he needs to be behind the QB in shotgun instead of beside him?

Stanford doesn’t hold their recruited athletes to the same academic standards as their typical students. Stanford doesn’t have the babysitting type of academic tudoring system of an SEC school. There are tudors available but it’s not mandatory and not nearly as hands on compared to UT’s program
Williams is great student, he won’t have trouble at Stanford.

VN Store

Back