Game Thread : Lady Vols 80 v Miss State 69 - 6:30pm SECN+

Feel good winning an SEC game by double digits shooting 22% from 3. That might be our lowest 3 percentage of the year.
Jordy has just really become a complete player. RJ seems to be making big strides in bringing rebounding/assists with her scoring.
I only saw stats. Did I read correctly, did RJ get a tech? If so will she have to sit out a half next game?
Nope. She’s good to go. She stayed in the game.

Feel good winning an SEC game by double digits shooting 22% from 3. That might be our lowest 3 percentage of the year.
Jordy has just really become a complete player. RJ seems to be making big strides in bringing rebounding/assists with her scoring.
I only saw stats. Did I read correctly, did RJ get a tech? If so will she have to sit out a half next game?

I was there, the MS player was in her face and started it...RJ said something back...The thing I like is Rickea didn't let it affect the rest of her game and when she went to the bench, no bad looks from Coach K...MS was mouthing pretty much the whole game

_BSI__SECPOTW_Rickea_Jackson.png

Thompson-Boling Arena|Knoxville, TN
Jan 5 (Thu)
6:30 P.M. ET

what was the deal about the time and tv station?
It was at the top of the thread??

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Feel better about this win than the one against Bama. The LVs took control on a night when they were not shooting that well as a team. 22% from the 3 is probably below what they will hit in most games and MSU was unusually hot but the LVs dominated the glass, limited TOs and for the most, played tough defense.

And this was actually an off night for Rickea, She went a bit cold down the stretch but made good plays in other ways.

So, nice to see the LVs have a "release the Horston!" moment. She went CP3 down the stretch.

Also, really good see extended minutes with Horston and Jackson on the floor together.

Last edited:
Nope. She’s good to go. She stayed in the game.

Those REFS. I get they wanted to keep the game under control but they were going to the monitor to review stuff that would never be noticed in the men's game. Jordan shrugging off Hayes on the in bound play, never should have taken a 5 minute review.

Going back a bit, I am also salty that the refs called Jordan for "a maybe you can see it in superslow motion" carry against VT (which cost the game) and tonight they let Hayes palm the ball with impunity. She should have 5 or more carry calls. I know a different ref team but seriously have some consistency.

Last edited:
How many people go to the games at Thompson bowling arena has lot more to do with how kellie than people on board who nobody knows who they are. kellie job does not depen on what some on volnation think. mostly on facebook kellie has less people thinking they are a danny white and the dean tennesse prisdent to and can give kellie set goals or shes gone. i think kellie in no danger of getting fired. @teacherdean

I disagree. Going toe to toe against Kellie isn't exactly a high benchmark for coaching excellence. As flawed as Hayes is, she is still a tremendous basketball talent and it's clear Purcell has no idea how to use her...
I refuse to lose sleep over that one. She may never miss another! 😉
i to see tess get to the free more .

Those REFS. I get they wanted to keep the game under control but they were going to the monitor to review stuff that would never be noticed in the men's game. Jordan shrugging off Hayes on the in bound play, never should have taken a 5 minute review.

Going back a bit, I am also salty that the refs called Jordan for "a maybe you can see it in superslow motion" carry against VT (which cost the game) and tonight they let Hayes palm the ball with impunity. She should have 5 or more carry calls. I know a different ref team but seriously have some consistency.

tell me about it.
the rule used to be, as explained to me by the head of refs in Atlanta the "hand-shake rule"
meaning if the dribbler had to pick up each dribble from the side like a hand-shake and if they went below the "hand-shake" it was a carry...Now it seems to be if the only carry they call is a hipped ball.

Feel better about this win than the one against Bama. The LVs took control on a night when they were not shooting that well as a team. 22% from the 3 is probably below what they will hit in most games and MSU was unusually hot but the LVs dominated the glass, limited TOs and for the most, played tough defense.

And this was actually an off night for Rickea, She went a bit cold down the stretch but made good plays in other ways.

So, nice to see the LVs have a "release the Horston!" moment. She went CP3 down the stretch.

Also, really good see extended minutes with Horston and Jackson on the floor together.
Won it with rebounding as thanks to 76 shot attempts to their 62 we were able to pull off the win. 80 points on 76 shot attempts 1.05 per attempt. 69 points on 62 attempts for them for a 1.11. A game we absolutely had to get those second chance points and we did it.

MS played better than I expected at our arena. Really impressed with Rowe and Carter. Maybe Rowe was just very lucky with her 3 point shooting last night. I respected them for the way they withstood the 1st quarter and fought back.

Really liked how we started out the game with passing and good outside shooting. After the 1st quarter our 3 point shooting was off. RJ mid shot was off but her play under the basket on offense was beautiful. JH had a fantastic all around game. Look like we had fresh legs compared to MS during the 4th quarter and we played well down the stretch. Franklin/Hollingshead played well. Tess had a good game.

Offensive rebounds played a very big part in the win.

A good game/win..

I haven’t seen LSU play yet. Thought their record was just based on a weak ooc schedule but they have been playing well so far during conference play.

Last edited:
Watched the interview after the game with Coach Harper and was glad to see what I saw as well. She said the team played with low energy part of the game and I agree especially on defense. I would say mainly the third quarter. She said not enough post touches in the game again we were a little to quick to throw up a three on some possessions. Still a lot of positives, but were still trying to find a consistent entire game defensive effort. We didn't really have great offensive efficiency, but the shot differential we created with offensive rebounding enabled us to win the game. I love 76 shots to 62 that is winning basketball even when you only have an average night shooting the ball.

I do believe MSU will be receiving a bye at conference tournament. They are a top-4 SEC type team imo.

We shall see...

I agree, Carter is a super talented player. So glad to see her looking healthy, happy and playing really well. They have a talented, veteran roster and Powe is a great complement. Really tough defense, even on a national scale. They are going to continue to improve.

Not looking forward to playing them twice!

Bama was picked 4th and I think they are also a very good team. They have depth, experience and great 3 point shooting. Im going with MSU in the head to head with Bama though based on Carter. Just do not think they can guard a talented post like that.

So far we have picked up some quality SEC wins.

One thing MSU has to sort out to be elite is their rebounding. Someone outside of Carter needs to put a body on someone. They need a couple players to step up and start hitting the boards.

We slaughtered them on the offensive boards.

As flawed as Hayes is, she is still a tremendous basketball talent and it's clear Purcell has no idea how to use her...
Totally disagree. This was the most under control usage of Wild Annie I've seen in the 42 years she's been playing. For those unfamiliar, if you get frustrated with our undersized guards doing headlong drives and throwing up prayers, you ain't seen nothin unless you saw Hayes in her "prime". I thought MS was well coached in general, but this guy deserves an award for talking Hayes, and her parents, into more of a distributor role. Announcers said it was his pitch to her for coming back and amazingly, it worked. Score less, pass more. She had 11 assists! I admit I probably have an irrational dislike for the whole Hayes operation, but I was SO glad to see her walk off our floor for the very last time. And oh yeah, she does palm the ball constantly, always has.
Really impressed with Rowe and Carter. Maybe Rowe was just very lucky with her 3 point shooting last night. I respected them for the way they withstood the 1st quarter and fought back.
Carter is just good. Period. Rowe looked spectacular, in that mysterious way we are able to make 3 pt superstars out of career 25% shooters. Many of her 3s had hands in face. I'm not sure why that happens to us so much, but we need to figure it out!

Last edited:
One thing MSU has to sort out to be elite is their rebounding. Someone outside of Carter needs to put a body on someone. They need a couple players to step up and start hitting the boards.
We slaughtered them on the offensive boards.
It was odd; they almost appeared to be conceding rebounds, which we were happy to gobble up. I get its harder to rebound out of a zone, but many times they gave no effort, just retreated downcourt.

RJ had several tipped balls on rebounds to teammates, one directly to Jill for an easy bunny. Both she and JH make rebounding fun to watch. KJH said in postgame both are so athletic and savvy they can time their jumps before everyone else. RJ mentioned this in her interview as well.
Awesome duo performance from Jackson and Horston! Walker finally got a 3! And what about Tess Darby these last few games?! She’s needed for her outside shooting! Hopefully Puckett can blatant clicking again, she’s been off the last few games.
I hope more people will come out to see the Jordy and Jackson show. It's the most fun I've had at LV games in a long, long time. This is special. They compliment each other's games perfectly.

Could not be happier for Jordy - what a spectacular 4th qtr. A couple of those late rebounds and putbacks were breathtaking. Pure hustle and heart. That's exactly the way JH can be an effective closer and have a great game.

Tess! Her made 3s are very well timed. A couple were huge answers to MS runs. Another newly fun thing is watching a player so roundly dismissed (including by me) become so incredibly solid. The reason Justine didn't play has a simple 4 letter answer: Tess. But JP will get there for sure.

Poor Sara seemed very, very frustrated. Her shot (and RJ's) were good shots just not falling. But KJH has great faith in Sara and she will be fine. I also thought Powell seemed quite frustrated. She did some good things, but a PG not knowing the clock at the end of the half is troubling.

It's telling that RJ is considered to have an off shooting night - and her shot was not falling as well - yet she was 9-20. And one of those was an end of quarter heave. LOL we got spoiled quickly, a 9-19 night is usually a highlight for us.

VN Store

Back