‘23 TN RB DeSean Bishop (Tennessee commit)

The issue is that an athletic scholarship comes with a lot more than just tuition, room, and board. Being a PWO (even if NIL pays your tuition) is not the same.

What are the limits on NIL? Does he, as a local, have access to Hope money?, Pell? Surely the NIL money would be way less to make it cost neutral for him. Coastal would have had pretty big game day costs for family with travel, lodging and food. Appy would be a better option, but…. We APPEAR to be his only option to cost effectively play in a P5. What is that worth to him? Not a clue. How ORANGE is his heart? Not a clue.

If net cost differential was zero, would full ride pride vs package deal be that critical? If not how much would a shot at big time be worth?
How much encouragement has our staff given him he would get a shot if he did? Not a clue. Do his intangibles make him a great fit? Big production in HS MAKES this intriguing for all three sides, including NIL PLAYERS who could become local/instate hero’s.

I don’t expect him to pick us but would not be shocked. Lots of Gray, not a lot of black and white. If these are options I bet wheels have been turning in that house.

Love to know all the facts. Unlikely.

What are the limits on NIL? Does he, as a local, have access to Hope money?, Pell? Surely the NIL money would be way less to make it cost neutral for him. Coastal would have had pretty big game day costs for family with travel, lodging and food. Appy would be a better option, but…. We APPEAR to be his only option to cost effectively play in a P5. What is that worth to him? Not a clue. How ORANGE is his heart? Not a clue.

If net cost differential was zero, would full ride pride vs package deal be that critical? If not how much would a shot at big time be worth?
How much encouragement has our staff given him he would get a shot if he did? Not a clue. Do his intangibles make him a great fit? Big production in HS MAKES this intriguing for all three sides, including NIL PLAYERS who could become local/instate hero’s.

I don’t expect him to pick us but would not be shocked. Lots of Gray, not a lot of black and white. If these are options I bet wheels have been turning in that house.

Love to know all the facts. Unlikely.
None of that matters to an 18 year old kid unless they don't have other options. When I said it's not the same, it mostly has to do with the football aspects. Being a PWO is a vastly different experience compared to being on scholarship.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
None of that matters to an 18 year old kid unless they don't have other options. When I said it's not the same, it mostly has to do with the football aspects. Being a PWO is a vastly different experience compared to being on scholarship.

Nothing is the same as pre-NIL. Risk/reward for playing at UT vs APPY is what it is and has to be calculated. I hope he decides what his ceiling is and does what is best for him to get a shot to prove it. Our room may not be best for him in his eyes. Might be a challenge worth taking.

Dialog with our staff probably THE factor. Could we possibly use NIL for first year trials for the convicted guys? Could some value P5 shot over PWO status? Don’t think that is monolithic for all 18 yr olds. Especially if costs are mitigated. Portaling down option will be there.

Would you put P5 hat on table and risk the SURE factor by picking the other hat? If ours is there we will find out. Brave new world out there.

Nothing is the same as pre-NIL. Risk/reward for playing at UT vs APPY is what it is and has to be calculated. I hope he decides what his ceiling is and does what is best for him to get a shot to prove it. Our room may not be best for him in his eyes. Might be a challenge worth taking.

Dialog with our staff probably THE factor. Could we possibly use NIL for first year trials for the convicted guys? Could some value P5 shot over PWO status? Don’t think that is monolithic for all 18 yr olds. Especially if costs are mitigated. Portaling down option will be there.

Would you put P5 hat on table and risk the SURE factor by picking the other hat? If ours is there we will find out. Brave new world out there.
You must not have been an 18 year old recruit before. No knock on you, but our RB room isn't going to scare him. Then as far as NIL is concerned, kids want the scholarship plus NIL opportunities. This kid led the nation in rushing for the entire regular season his junior year. The only way he's not going the scholarship route is if being a VOL is the most important thing in his life.

You must not have been an 18 year old recruit before. No knock on you, but our RB room isn't going to scare him. Then as far as NIL is concerned, kids want the scholarship plus NIL opportunities. This kid led the nation in rushing for the entire regular season his junior year. The only way he's not going the scholarship route is if being a VOL is the most important thing in his life.

Hope grant along with NIL may be a more lucrative situation. Not to mention his folks don't have to drive to Boone, NC to see him play.

Reactions: Walkman
Hope grant along with NIL may be a more lucrative situation. Not to mention his folks don't have to drive to Boone, NC to see him play.
He's not getting some lucrative NIL as a fringe recruit. I'm trying to tell y’all, even if you get your tuition paid for with NIL, being a PWO sucks ballz.

Reactions: #Vol4Life1991
He's not getting some lucrative NIL as a fringe recruit. I'm trying to tell y’all, even if you get your tuition paid for with NIL, being a PWO sucks ballz.

We'll see soon.
Because i don't think he's a scholarship player.

But...neither is Nate Spillman but here we are 🙄😔

We all know Bishop and his family had no say in the matter.

Make no mistake Swamp.

If this kid becomes a Vol. I will be pulling for him. Needs to Redshirt just to rest his body.

The way many communities out here in California support their HS teams is just night and day from what I've seen in North Knoxville. Not even talking about the private academies that recruit. Had Bishop and Redmond been out here, they both would have been strong P5 players. Both legitimate 4 stars. Redmond would have run track and been much more explosive. Same for Bishop.

Adrian Hall out of Karns was another dude that could have been an SEC player. But there was jackshit to get him any real exposure. Or develop him. Damn human joystick back in 1999.

Make no mistake Swamp.

If this kid becomes a Vol. I will be pulling for him. Needs to Redshirt just to rest his body.

The way many communities out here in California support their HS teams is just night and day from what I've seen in North Knoxville. Not even talking about the private academies that recruit. Had Bishop and Redmond been out here, they both would have been strong P5 players. Both legitimate 4 stars. Redmond would have run track and been much more explosive. Same for Bishop.

Adrian Hall out of Karns was another dude that could have been an SEC player. But there was jackshit to get him any real exposure. Or develop him. Damn human joystick back in 1999.
There's a lot of terrible coaching in TN in general.

I don't know it to be true. There was a rumor about Eric Berry paying for it. Maybe the kid just wants to be a Vol. Or maybe it's a false rumor. Either way, if this staff wants him, I'm fine with it.
The Eric Berry reference is a long running joke on VN. Dating back to Evan and Elliott’s recruitment.

This kid will be a Scholarship player even if it's with us. Stop wit the PWO talk. Every team that played Karns stacked the box to stop him and still couldn't do it. He is a hidden gem due to to who he played for and lack of camps. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he will be a major contributor in the field by his sophomore year. He is a stud

VN Store

Back