Game Thread: (RV/RV) Lady Vols. 56 - (9/9) Virginia Tech 59

Doesn't have anything to do with your second leading scorer benched! Horston should be all over her "best friend"
Va Tech’s second leading scorer didn’t play either. But again with the talent the Lady Vols
Have, just insert another 4-5 star.

I think were now in just make the NCAA tournament mode. I think if these players all come together it still would be a fairly scary feeling for a one seed to play them at the end of the season. Of course they all have to get on the same page and if some are breaking rules they have to either change or leave the team.

So now us fans worried we wouldn’t make the tourney aren’t so crazy are we.

Reactions: Voluble2
I really dont know which is sadder. The fact that this team has fallen to this level or the sunshine pumpers who still believe that the coaching is going to get this team to the next level.

Reactions: xtpsrh08123
What ashame. Tamari again basically shut Kitley down and put up decent numbers. Tamari is the better of the two if she was more of a focal point the offense.
Tamari outplays Kitley head to head. But Kitley against other teams is much better than Tamari. So have to say that Kitley is the better player of the two. Key needs to up her game in every game, not just in games against someone her size.

Looks like we going to need 11 or 12 SEC wins to get there. The non conference schedule is totally shot. We may be able to get UConn if everybody gets to play that is a big if. Notre Dame thus far is handling them fairly well still a half to go.

TK came in as a top 50 overall 4-star she's done ok but I thought she'd be more of a scorer than she has been.

We easily will make the tournament. The tough part of the season is over. We were playing 3 short and almost pulled this win out including our leading scorer. Rickea & Jillian probably pulled a Candace Parker type infraction. Meanwhile, Uconn is having their behinds handed to them by Notre Dame. Top 7-8 teams in the SEC will make the SEC tournament and Tennessee will be one of those teams.

Do not lay on poor dog. He can only be as smart as human owner.
Your poor dog isn't too bright; otherwise, he would have informed you that the "perennial middle of the road ACC team" is currently ranked #9 nationally. His being a big fan of WCBB and all.

He does have a fairly impressive vocabulary...for a mutt.

Tamari outplays Kitley head to head. But Kitley against other teams is much better than Tamari. So have to say that Kitley is the better player of the two. Key needs to up her game in every game, not just in games against someone her size.
Va Tech decided not to double team. Key is still so vulnerable to the double team still can't even tell that it is coming and when to pass out of it. If you don't double Key she will play this well everytime.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I’m about to stand on business, if you fans can’t tell everybody what in the world you are talking about as it relates to Rickea Jackson then just shut up. You probably are just looking to blame anyone instead of placing the blame where it should go.
I'm not your fan boy and far too grown for you to be telling me or anyone else to shut up on a thread where we don't speak but type , goofy.

Four Points:

First: The defensive effort was good but our guards have GOT to stop switching when it can be avoided. Dumb defense. You don't give the opponent a mismatch unless you absolutely have to. We have opponents with good guards too many mismatches.

Second: our supporting cast is simply not productive.

Suarez: 32 minutes, 6 points on 3 of 10 shots from the floor. Had 9 rebounds--but 0 assists and 4 turnovers.
Walker--20 minutes, 0 points. NO assists.
Darby: 21 minutes, 2 points (missed all 3 of her three-point attempts).
Puckett: 13 minutes, 2 points
Striplin: 11 minutes, 0 points (0-2 from the floor)

Powell: 30 minutes, 9 points (missed 4 of 5 treys; missed 2 of 4 FTs; had 6 assists but also 4 TOs. Not good enough across the board, and to quick to switch on defense, giving the opponent mismatches they could exploit.

By any measure, in toto, that is an absolutely awful performance by the supporting cast.

One reason for the terrible can be attributed to talent--not enough individual talent. BUT two or three of them can shoot when OPEN, yet we don't run sets that get them open shots. Sets featuring lots of picks and QUICK ball movement to pull defenders out of position and get our players open shots. If they take contested shots, they miss more often than not. I didn't see the first half so I don't know how many of the missed shots by this group in the first half were open--but I don't recall seeing any open shots by them in the 2nd half. I'm sure there were a couple that I missed--but on the whole we have the SAME problem we've had for 15 years: Our TEAM offense is poor. Too much standing around, slow ball movment--and then relying heavily on Horston and Jackson to go 1v1 and score. But even with 2 excellent talents like those two, it's probably not enough to beat good teams--because the opponent can focus its defense on those two.

Third: You're not going to beat good teams if you can't make 3s. We were 2-14 from the 3-line. That's a losing stat--14 percent shooting. That is sad for a veteran team like ours. VT didn't shoot the three very well--28 percent--but nevertheless made 9, and took 32 threes. We don't need to shoot that many threes, but good teams can shoot the three. We don't make enough 3s. Eve when Jackson and Horston are playing well, they tend not to don't take many threes, and so even if they are scoring, if our opponent is making 7+ 3s, we're losing ground.

Four: We obviously, as we've seen in many of these games, simply don't make plays down the stretch. Walker missed a three at the 4-minute mark; Suarez made 2 key bad mistakes (one physical and one mental), and while Horston had an excellent game and carried us, she had two open shots to tie in the waning seconds and missed them both. We missed a bunch of shots in the last 4/5 minutes--and that always adds up to an L.

We easily will make the tournament. The tough part of the season is over. We were playing 3 short and almost pulled this win out including our leading scorer. Rickea & Jillian probably pulled a Candace Parker type infraction. Meanwhile, Uconn is having their behinds handed to them by Notre Dame. Top 7-8 teams in the SEC will make the SEC tournament and Tennessee will be one of those teams.
I'm believing the SEC is crap other than four teams so hopefully this is true. Jillian had concussion protocol as did Franklin evidently they collided in practice. Jackson seems to be a violation of a rule as she didn't look sick today. Always a possibility that it is health related though still no word except she was out. Jillian and Franklin was explained.

Reactions: VolGirl05
Four Points:

First: The defensive effort was good but our guards have GOT to stop switching when it can be avoided. Dumb defense. You don't give the opponent a mismatch unless you absolutely have to. We have opponents with good guards too many mismatches.

Suarez: 32 minutes, 6 points on 3 of 10 shots from the floor. Had 9 rebounds--but 0 assists and 4 turnovers.

Powell: 30 minutes, 9 points (missed 4 of 5 treys; missed 2 of 4 FTs; had 6 assists but also 4 TOs. Not good enough across the board, and to quick to switch on defense, giving the opponent mismatches they could exploit.

By any measure, in toto, that is an absolutely awful performance by the supporting cast.

One reason for the terrible can be attributed to talent--not enough individual talent. BUT two or three of them can shoot when OPEN, yet we don't run sets that get them open shots. Sets featuring lots of picks and QUICK ball movement to pull defenders out of position and get our players open shots. If they take contested shots, they miss more often than not. I didn't see the first half so I don't know how many of the missed shots by this group in the first half were open--but I don't recall seeing any open shots by them in the 2nd half. I'm sure there were a couple that I missed--but on the whole we have the SAME problem we've had for 15 years: Our TEAM offense is poor. Too much standing around, slow ball movment--and then relying heavily on Horston and Jackson to go 1v1 and score. But even with 2 excellent talents like those two, it's probably not enough to beat good teams--because the opponent can focus its defense on those two.

Third: You're not going to beat good teams if you can't make 3s. We were 2-14 from the 3-line. That's a losing stat--14 percent shooting. That is sad for a veteran team like ours. VT didn't shoot the three very well--28 percent--but nevertheless made 9, and took 32 threes. We don't need to shoot that many threes, but good teams can shoot the three. We don't make enough 3s. Eve when Jackson and Horston are playing well, they tend not to don't take many threes, and so even if they are scoring, if our opponent is making 7+ 3s, we're losing ground.

Four: We obviously, as we've seen in many of these games, simply don't make plays down the stretch. Walker missed a three at the 4-minute mark; Suarez made 2 key bad mistakes (one physical and one mental), and while Horston had an excellent game and carried us, she had two open shots to tie in the waning seconds and missed them both. We missed a bunch of shots in the last 4/5 minutes--and that always adds up to an L.
I liked your post simply because it says 3 points and you made 4. Awesome.

We simply aren't or NOT playing like a good team...having played 5 Top 25 teams, means nothing if you go 0-5...might of well have scheduled 5 of the bottom ncaaw teams and be 9-0...🤔

It don’t even sound right coming from you.. I need some competition.
Like I said, what did she do? Shut up if you just going to rant with no facts!
I stand on business.
This time or in the past? She’s had noticeable attitude since the IU loss, Kellie adjusting her and getting her in the handshake line…walking off the court after a loss in Atlantis. Those are just the things we see.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Four Points:

This is true and the reason I was talking about these players not playing much a lot less. Unfortunately when three players are out that usually grab about 60 of that 95 minutes you have no choice. Why these players are not better is the big question cause none are freshmen anymore.

We didn‘t have to have Rickea to win today, IMO.
Agree, but also shows you how much we need Horstons to be in the 25 point range to have a chance. If no Jackson and Horston has a bad night then it won’t end well.

Looks like we going to need 11 or 12 SEC wins to get there. The non conference schedule is totally shot. We may be able to get UConn if everybody gets to play that is a big if. Notre Dame thus far is handling them fairly well still a half to go.
Aside from Horston and Jackson, the talent level is extremely low.

I'm believing the SEC is crap other than four teams so hopefully this is true. Jillian had concussion protocol as did Franklin evidently they collided in practice. Jackson seems to be a violation of a rule as she didn't look sick today. Always a possibility that it is health related though still no word except she was out. Jillian and Franklin was explained.
I believe if they were available we win..

VN Store

Back