Is Hooker Huepel's Dobbs?

To the poster who said that Drew Locke didn't improve when he got to the pros,maybe because the qb coach is a recycled coach who bounces around the NFL.You see that all the time up.in the league.Heupel is legit as a qb coach and so is Hazle(spelling).

Reactions: njvols
We will see after this season but I'm curious on everyone's opinion. Dobbs made us think Butch was the next great coach. Is huepel legit or riding a great qbs coattails? And for the love of God don't ask me what I'm smoking or drinking lol I'm genuinely curious what the rest of VN thinks.
Dobbs had to improvise way too much. It was clear 2017 would be a significant drop off in offense. To be honest, even the Dobbs led offense was frustrating to watch for probably half the game. The scheme was absolutely terrible, IMO. Heupel at least thus far has been scheming guys wide open. Its definitely a QB friendly system. Butch had a lot of NFL level talent on that team and they were lucky to go 9-4. Heupel has gone 9-2 with less talent and a harder schedule.

Reactions: Stephen Gray
Dobbs had to improvise way too much. It was clear 2017 would be a significant drop off in offense. To be honest, even the Dobbs led offense was frustrating to watch for probably half the game. The scheme was absolutely terrible, IMO. Heupel at least thus far has been scheming guys wide open. Its definitely a QB friendly system. Butch had a lot of NFL level talent on that team and they were lucky to go 9-4. Heupel has gone 9-2 with less talent and a harder schedule.
Dobbs is probably more a pure athlete than HH and made CBJ inferior coaching look better but HH is better passer and I don’t think it’s really that close, playing for a much better coach.

I totally agree. So many great guys on those teams and even really good coaches at times but Jones sure did manage to mismanage so to speak.

Jimmy Hyams says he thinks Hooker has been the best QB at Tennessee since Manning. Do you all agree?

I think he’s probably performed the best. Depends on what we mean by best. He’s not the most athletic or even most accurate at times but it’s not like he is inaccurate or slow, but he has thrived in Heupel’s offense and ran it incredibly effectively, and been really good with making decisions.

I think just looking at his completion % can be misleading. The stuff I’ve watched about CJH’s offense suggest that it can actually simplify decision making but I don’t hold that against Hooker. He’s given us the best results in a really long time.

He’s not as good a pure runner as Dobbs who can improvise quite as well, but he still does make things happen with his feet and can get something when things break down, so it’s not like he is terrible at that.

Can he thrive in more traditional pro style systems? I think he is super high character and will certainly give it his best and I do think he could be great, but could also struggle. Also NFL quarterbacks who struggle might be really good in some systems but look bad because of where they end up and who is working with them.

So many variables go into whether a guy will succeed. It’s a positive that more spread stuff is being used effectively these days. I think someone should give him a chance. That injury he took was heart breaking. He’s given his all here and will succeed in life as a whole, I have no doubt. Dude is a winner.

Other quarterbacks like Clausen, Ainge, and even Bray had a lot of good things about them. Clausen is one of the quarterbacks who should get more credit I think. He was legitimately good not only in talent but also he executed it and was a good leader. Ainge was really good too and since I became a fan in 2003 those two guys were sort of my first glimpse at Volunteer football.

Dobbs was a great leader but those offenses suffered due to other reasons. His passing game was not the best in the world but I would have liked to see what a more competent offensive coaching staff would have done with him. Dude is brilliant and really seems like he would be an asset to any organization in any field he wanted to pursue.

Bray could put up great numbers with his guys sometimes but if you need to fight your way back into a game, those teams seemed to struggle. I don’t think they quit, I just think it got to a point where the players and coaches did not have a lot of mutual respect and trust. Also he gets some criticism for his maturity, which is fair, but I also think a lot of that still goes back to his coaches. Like Jones, teams under Dooley did less with more. Dooley was figured out quicker though.

I’m going to say hard no. Dobbs was forced to improvise. HH knows the offense, makes his reads and usually makes a good decision. No offense to Dobbs because I love the guy, but Butch Jones’ offense didnt seem nearly as effective as CJH’s with HH.

Why this thread is still going, I assume it evolved into something else. Surely to goodness it is not comparing Butch and Heupel as on the same level coaching quarterbacks or offense. Folks we got one of the best in the business in spotting out and developing quarterbacks. Butch Jones isn’t in the same universe as Heupel. GBO!

1) Comparing Butch to Heupel is ridiculous.
2) Milton is our next T Martin.

Bookmark this and rub my nose in it.

Why this thread is still going, I assume it evolved into something else. Surely to goodness it is not comparing Butch and Heupel as on the same level coaching quarterbacks or offense. Folks we got one of the best in the business in spotting out and developing quarterbacks. Butch Jones isn’t in the same universe as Heupel. GBO!

Yeah I agree. I wish Heupel had guys like Dobbs, Jennings, Kamara, Patterson and more. Don’t get me wrong he has some great pieces and they have flourished but it’s more like seeing how good those guys did despite Jones makes me wonder what someone who can get as much out of his athletes, not just individually, but how they operate as a group, as Heupel. Also the whole Hurd thing was very sad. Sure egos and so on got out of hand, and as young adults they have some blame, but the toxic environment created probably wasn’t great for developing the best character at times.

We will see after this season but I'm curious on everyone's opinion. Dobbs made us think Butch was the next great coach. Is huepel legit or riding a great qbs coattails? And for the love of God don't ask me what I'm smoking or drinking lol I'm genuinely curious what the rest of VN thinks.

This team isn't as talented as the 2016 team, imo.

He could have been. That's why we do not push any crazy extensions out there. The wheels came off this season. Let's see how Heupel performs the next couple of years.

I smell another Trollraw (5).gif

Your definition of common sense probably does not align with mine. People keep comparing previous coaches to present
coaches with the paranoid belief that history is repeating itself.

Way I see it? Different day, and what your "common sense" crap does is stir up paranoia. At least the orange helmets looked good.
Whats huepel doing right now against vandy? Not a damn thing. Hooker made this team lmao

Reactions: mattlock3tt
Bro they got Jackson and Nico coming. Either Heupel did it to Hooker and will do it again or you're suggesting those 2 are going to suck.

Reactions: Jeff Clark
Dobbs never made me think Butch was a great coach. I did think Butch was good at selling the program and leading young men.....until he wasn't. His game management might've been the worst I've witnessed though.

1) Comparing Butch to Heupel is ridiculous.
2) Milton is our next T Martin.

Bookmark this and rub my nose in it.

If Milton is QB1 this season we lose to Pitt, FL, and Alabama, and potentially even LSU and finish 7-5 or 6-6.

If Milton is QB1 next year we are back to hoping to get to bowl eligibility.

If Milton is QB1 this season we lose to Pitt, FL, and Alabama, and potentially even LSU and finish 7-5 or 6-6.

If Milton is QB1 next year we are back to hoping to get to bowl eligibility.
Lololol
Same things people were saying before this season

VN Store

Back