Hurts to read this…

iu

You’d think we’d all have built up enough scar tissue after all these years of ineptitude. The irony is this: we’ve made so hungry for progress -REAL progress- that the semblance of hope got us up too high.

In reality, this year’s team took some big steps, probably getting a bit ahead of where they were actually ready to be. The fact that this absolute debacle so closely resembled past no-shows that we’ve seen in meaningful just made it sting that much more.

I am hopeful that this is just a bump in the road,

Last edited:
Timing really is everything. If we had played SC the first game of the season and gotten blown out, only to bounce back to 7-1 before playing Georgia we’d still feel a lot better about things going into the end of the year. Optics can be funny like that.

I guess I need to stop reading this stuff and move on. Learn from history because you can’t change the past! GBO beat Vandy!!!
SEC Round-Up Week 12: Vols blow biggest chance in 24 years in catastrophic fashion — Rocky Top Talk

The same can be said about South Carolina, they have sucked all season, and now they decide to play? what does that say? Their QB decided to take his ADD medication to focus on the game vs. everything else. Sure, they beat the #5 Team a once in 100 years; they decided to play football congratulations! I won't be on earth when it happens again. I can promise you that UT will not overlook them next year.

The worst part was that it was South Carolina that knocked us out of the playoffs. It wasn’t Alabama or LSU or even Florida or Georgia, it’s was South Carolina. That’s embarrassing. I will say that Rattler showed out in a big way. He threw the ball very well and used his feet to his advantage.

It’s always hindsight, but I would have sent more pressure and the game plan vs Vandy would involve a quick pace defense too. Throw the dice and either get the turnover or give up a quick TD.

Against Georgia and South Carolina our defense played vanilla and we lost both.

Nah. We can play vanilla and still beat Vandy. Checker Dudley!

It won’t matter Vols by 49.

Serious missed opportunity. These guys have been fun to watch win and heartbreaking to see them lose.

With Florida and Alabama in the road, we need to figure out the hostile crowd thing.

I’m looking forward to the Vandy game and whatever Bowl we get.

I wonder who will shut it down?

Timing really is everything. If we had played SC the first game of the season and gotten blown out, only to bounce back to 7-1 before playing Georgia we’d still feel a lot better about things going into the end of the year. Optics can be funny like that.
The timing is the critical piece tho. The fact that they lost when they did, to the quality of opponent they did, in the fashion they did, with everything on the line, is the most discouraging part. When the stakes are highest is when competitive character is revealed. This team failed as epically as any team I can remember with so much on the line. They didn’t just lose. The defensive meltdown we witnessed on Saturday was something else altogether.

Is the season still a success? Yes. My prediction was 8-4. I thought 10-2 was possible if they got every break known to man. However, if they lose to Vandy and then lose a bowl game to finish 9-4, it will be difficult to feel great about the season considering what was within their grasp.

The worst part was that it was South Carolina that knocked us out of the playoffs. It wasn’t Alabama or LSU or even Florida or Georgia, it’s was South Carolina. That’s embarrassing. I will say that Rattler showed out in a big way. He threw the ball very well and used his feet to his advantage.

It’s always hindsight, but I would have sent more pressure and the game plan vs Vandy would involve a quick pace defense too. Throw the dice and either get the turnover or give up a quick TD.

Against Georgia and South Carolina our defense played vanilla and we lost both.

Nah. We can play vanilla and still beat Vandy. Checker Dudley!

It won’t matter Vols by 49.

Serious missed opportunity. These guys have been fun to watch win and heartbreaking to see them lose.

With Florida and Alabama in the road, we need to figure out the hostile crowd thing.

I’m looking forward to the Vandy game and whatever Bowl we get.

I wonder who will shut it down?
Kinda of like Fulmers interim year where we beat FL and GA and then lost to USC and ARKY.

There’s beating a dead horse and then there’s beating a dead horse in a way that causes folks to forget about the damn horse and they start wondering what the he!! is wrong with the rider. Might be time to put the whip down and walk away.

Reactions: EasternVol and sami
There’s beating a dead horse and then there’s beating a dead horse in a way that causes folks to forget about the damn horse and they start wondering what the he!! is wrong with the rider. Might be time to put the whip down and walk away.
Then we better hope we win and win convincingly Saturday otherwise the deceased equine flagellation will continue for at least the next year. This was bad and there is no way to sugar coat or spin it. Closure is elusive. Absent a visible personnel change or else a dominant performance, the fan base has no idea as to what, if anything, is being done to remedy the situation

Reactions: obxvol
The same can be said about South Carolina, they have sucked all season, and now they decide to play? what does that say? Their QB decided to take his ADD medication to focus on the game vs. everything else. Sure, they beat the #5 Team a once in 100 years; they decided to play football congratulations! I won't be on earth when it happens again. I can promise you that UT will not overlook them next year.
We should punish them everytime we play them going forward.. foot on the gas till the time runs out

Reactions: FlyFishnVol
Kinda of like Fulmers interim year where we beat FL and GA and then lost to USC and ARKY.
a difference here, of course, is that Fulmer coached the first three games and the bowl game...and the Arky, Bama, and Carolina losses were by a combined 9 points
agree it was awful at the time, especially to a Jack Crowe-coached Arky team that had lost to Citadel and the Taneyhill game
but none of those games were thrashings like we saw last Saturday

Reactions: EasternVol

VN Store

Back