Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then this tells me the DC has no control and lacks leadership. They secondary has sucked all year. Its an excuse period bothing more. How about gameplan and execute... No excuses and own what you put on the field. It starts with DC Banks and Heupel is the one to ultimately hold him accountable

Players have to play. I'm guessing the coaches didn't tell them to go out there and wait for South Carolina to roll over.

If you want to burn down Knoxville, fire all the coaches, and restart the 5 year rebuild while pining for Super Coach - godspeed. I'm done with that stuff personally - it hasn't worked for the past 15 years and I doubt it works going forward. Invest in the coaches we have, give them space to grow and learn, and bring some stability to the program. That's the ticket to glory. I submit the 1980s and 90s as evidence in support of my position.

Neither was Mitchell at the beginning of the year. New status, “unavailable.” Which really means rampant rumors and speculation. This is NIL times and putting protecting their “image” over truth.

So exactly what every program, and business, has always done

Reactions: LA Vol
What I don’t like is the narrative by some that “we just don’t have the horses” …. I mean look Pruitts defenses sucked at times but the DBs were not part of that. Somehow we went from “man these dudes are awesome recruits” to man we don’t have the horses.

That is coaching. When all your DBs are running with their backs turned to the ball and not staying stride for stride with a receiver that is coaching. When your DBs are constantly getting beat on every play and you leave them in there, that is coaching. When receivers are catching the ball 5 yds in front of you and that is the only player near you, and you don’t break on the ball to try and break it up, that is coaching.

I know we aren’t super deep in the secondary but coaching is the cause of how bad our Secondary is. I mean we are playing two safeties that almost never record a Pass Breakup.

This is just recency bias. Jeremy Pruitt’s team gave up 30+ points six times in 2020 in a 10 game season. That was with Taylor and Bryce Thompson, two who were rated better than anyone we have now. We’ve given up 30+ three times in 11 games. That’s also with opposing offenses who get the ball more now because of our great offense.

Remember GSU? Remember the end of BYU? Remember the end of 2018 when Mizzou and Vandy put up 50 and 38? Apparently not. Just face it, the recruiting the last 3 years in the secondary has been awful. Pruitt did not do well on the way out, and we lost Lawrence. I’ve seen it all- we are 9-2 and people think Pruitt did a better job at something.

I've stayed off social media. Turned off recordings of SEC Nation/Now and Gameday. I won't watch ranking reveal tonight either. It has helped. Haven't heard a thing Beamer said or did, turned it off after we scored in the 4th with a minute to go so didn't see any of the postgame. It helps.

Next year Heupel will score as much as he wants on Beamer in Neyland. Butch won some games here too and then it all crumbled because it was built on sticks. Same thing there.

Do you think having considered what happened he would just have let Banks travel with the team and play? This is big boy semi-pro now, you let the locker room handle bidness and then play the best guys.

Personally I think Heupel made the right call. He's still in year 2 and you still got a lot of snakes in the swamp. You can't let one player regardless of who said player is or how important they are continue to just get treated differently. And I don't care if it was because Banks was chewing gum in a team meeting, small or large you build culture from set rules and standards and regardless of how small they seem you uphold them.

I think Banks decided to "phone it in" this year for some reason, I'd almost bet he won't be eligible for bowl games anyway.

My opinion is he took someone's advice internally to return rather than try and get drafted last year and I think he feels like he made the wrong decision, but rather than work harder to make it work and not let his stock drop he's played half heart all year.

Felt like we abandoned the run pretty early against Scar but I haven’t gone back to rewatch. With Milton in against Vandy I hope we get back to the 60/40 run pass ratio again.

Agreed. Small and Wright are very serviceable, but I would love for UT to find an elite RB one day. I’d love to find a back that’ll catch a lot of passes out of the backfield. The NFL is full of guys that can do that now.

I'm good with any WR in the room catching balls honestly. And Milton has more game time reps with Squirrel, Keyton, Walker and Holiday than the starters anyway.

Personally looking forward to seeing Hyatt & Squirrel both on the field with Milton throwing. Vandy is the 2nd worst passing defense in league in yards allowed, we're worse by .2 yards. But they give up a higher completion % and more TDs.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
Personally I think Heupel made the right call. He's still in year 2 and you still got a lot of snakes in the swamp. You can't let one player regardless of who said player is or how important they are continue to just get treated differently. And I don't care if it was because Banks was chewing gum in a team meeting, small or large you build culture from set rules and standards and regardless of how small they seem you uphold them.

I think Banks decided to "phone it in" this year for some reason, I'd almost bet he won't be eligible for bowl games anyway.

My opinion is he took someone's advice internally to return rather than try and get drafted last year and I think he feels like he made the wrong decision, but rather than work harder to make it work and not let his stock drop he's played half heart all year.

I had never really noticed but the numbers back it up.

Jeremy Banks last 2 yrs -

2021: 128 tackles, 11.5 TFL's, 5.5 sacks

2022: 46 tackles, 4 TFL's. 0 sacks

Granted he's probably playing less snaps this year with Mitchel playing but that's still a pretty significant drop-off.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
Do you think having considered what happened he would just have let Banks travel with the team and play? This is big boy semi-pro now, you let the locker room handle bidness and then play the best guys.

I think an unfortunate situation, bad timing and mounting frustration led to swift judgment. I doubt anyone thought UT was in jeopardy of losing that game... and I think blaming a blowout loss on the absence of one player is overlooking the failure to execute on dozens of plays by dozens of guys-- starters, backups and coaches. One player's off-the-field issues didn't cause the team's on-the-field issues; it's two separate problems.

I had never really noticed but the numbers back it up.

Jeremy Banks last 2 yrs -

2021: 128 tackles, 11.5 TFL's, 5.5 sacks

2022: 46 tackles, 4 TFL's. 0 sacks

Granted he's probably playing less snaps this year with Mitchel playing but that's still a pretty significant drop-off.
Yeah, he has played less snaps and the d-line has also improved and is making more tackles...so that can explain the drop.

Personally I think Joe Milton is about to throw all over Vandy. He had some misses against SC. But that is going to happen. When you are just trying to make something happen. You just can’t beat a guy who can hit a receiver like Hyatt or Squirrel in stride over 60 yds down field.
Yeah he won't be rushing everything Saturday like we're down 30.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back