Game Thread: (11/12) Lady Vols. 72 - Gonzaga. 73

No need to put the ball on the floor so quick in hindsight. If she had just secured the ball they would have fouled her

And that's another reason a time out would have helped. Easier to get the ball in bounded cleanly to your best free throw shooter who has just been told to just squeeze it and take the foul instead of worrying about getting the ball away from her own basket and across the half court line which I assume was what she was thinking. No way they were going to let her dribble away 15 seconds.

Reactions: olddog
I just saw that when I rewatched the end of the game. Yeah, that was uncalled for. Her behavior after the losses has been atrocious, and she needs to learn how to win AND lose with some class.
Was she mad she did not get ball on last possession or that we lost. Either way her actions were wrong but if the former well that is really selfish.

You're assuming we would have not had a problem getting the ball in from the side. I understand it's easier, but all inbound plays for us are difficult for some reason.

But isn't easier better? Not taking the timeout and advancing the ball was a mistake. Could TN still have lost the game? Sure. But the odds of winning would have been better and figuring and playing those odds is a coach's job.

Reactions: glv98
It was a 50 50 call but I probably gamble it would've took her last timeout and she was worried about needing to use it for a possible 5 second call if we couldn't get the ball in. I would've gambled but she decided not to.

Five second calls are much more prevalent when throwing the ball in from under your own goal. It wasn't a 50 - 50 decision at all.

I see people trying to predict all our big games, but for me it is so difficult to know as I think this team could go in three different directions: get mired in their current mediocrity, continue to get better and become a good to very good team (be 2nd or 3rd in SEC but not beat the top rated teams) or develop into the great team that most people thought was possible before the season. A key is to get our best 5 starts and let them jell. The starters should earn it through effort, team-work, and overall performance, not by reputation or what they did last year. It will also be important to establish who the best 3 to 4 replacements are and keep that steady as well. The others can play in games that are a route, as they did against Rutgers. This team needs to build chemistry and this seems to be an approach to .give them the best chance to develop it.
Gonzaga (5-1,0-0 WCC) -vs- Tennessee (2-4,0-0 SEC) (PDF) - University of Tennessee Athletics

Really shorten the bench minutes. It appears she has a plan…. 😏

Looks like the Maria burner accounts are in full effect today.

"Golly, they've made so much progress making it a competitive game against an unranked team!"

"Gee whiz, they would have won if it wasn't for the refs!"

Well, Gonzaga took down your boy Jeff Walz so maybe pump the brakes a bit on your predictable post-loss gloating.

Last edited:
But isn't easier better? Not taking the timeout and advancing the ball was a mistake. Could TN still have lost the game? Sure. But the odds of winning would have been better and figuring and playing those odds is a coach's job.

I see your point but don't agree, simply because from what I've seen we are bad at inbounding the ball no matter where we try it. That's part of what I don't understand about this team.

I see your point but don't agree, simply because from what I've seen we are bad at inbounding the ball no matter where we try it. That's part of what I don't understand about this team.
We inbounded the ball fine but we made an unforced error against pressure that was not that intense, even though it was a questionable call

6'6" and she only had 1 stinking rebound against under-sized Gonzaga?? Key is PATHETIC! I don't care about her nails, her lashes, her race or any of that; but she's atrocious?? Does she even give a damn?? A damn midget could out-play her lazy ar$e? Worst start in my memory and right about now I'm so fed up with their lack of teamwork, hustle and basketball smarts?? Sure, a lot of that is on the coach, but players need to also self-motivate themselves and take responsibility?? Will anyone on this team step up?? I won't hold my breath?
To get excellence as a coach you have to demand it. Sometimes you have to get up in players grills in order to get their best. I can’t blame this situation on the players. If a coach does not have the ability to determine which players hustle, which players have the right physicality, which players have the fire and desire, each player’s skill sets, and which players are fundamentally sound then they shouldn’t be in coach, especially at the power 5 level.

Reactions: Harvey Peak
I watched to and she did not lay into Key who was bad did she ?. Forget the refs your not gonna change there mind on a call. So let not make this about the refs, Marta was out of control many times today and i watch when she went to the bench nothing said to her.
Going to the bench was the statement!

Our import from across the pond needs time to get in flow after redshirting foot last year. Her foot or feet was not much better her first year on rocky top.

Looked like ace so far but the season has just begun .

Peaked last year late January. For a change I’ll pump some shine and hope that TLV’s will be peaking when it counts , which is late February - mid March .

Been a disappointment so far but the season has barely started so for now as Aaron Rodgers would say ……

1669090516904.jpeg

Holly had a higher bar than Kellie did. We were all b!tching about the fact that Holly could "only" make the E8 and were calling for her head after 2 E8s and 1 S16. Even that E8 appearance wasn't enough to make up for the crummy season because she couldn't get them to the FF. I'm by no means defending Holly because she was proven to be a poor coach, but there's no question that we're all giving Kellie a longer leash than Holly ever got, and it's disheartening that she hasn't been able to match even those lower standards.
How about some patience. So far, Kellie has only had the opportunity to be in 2 NCAA tournaments at TN. Covid cancelled one year and put limits on recruiting opportunities. Even so, she made it to the Sweet Sixteen on the second trip, with a team that had lost several players to injury. You‘re wanting to compare 2 years against the many years of Holly? Kellie had to start over with recruiting, unlike Holly who started with Pat’s players, and had been in contact with players with Pat, for decades. You want to defend Holly’s Coaching? Leash, disheartening, lower standards? Ridiculous words to use for a Coach who has improved this team each year since she’s been here. You say ‘we’ like you’re a Tennessee fan, but you’re really a fan of another team, I just don’t remember which. You spout troll talk.

Some posters are voicing their displeasure with the team and coach and with the record and coaching mistakes they have a right to and that doesn't take away from them being a true fan but for the ones who think being critical of the team right now is wrong that to me is a you problem.im still in the give it more time thinking but Im absolutely ok with the posters who are critical of this poor start and think they are well within their rights and freedom of speech to speak on it and if the Lady Vols turn it around and all is well with everyone then we shouldn't criticize the ones who were disappointed at the start because they are speaking facts as to the start of the season isn't what we expected so all opinions whether criticizing or staying positive or somewhere in the middle should be respected

How about some patience. So far, Kellie has only had the opportunity to be in 2 NCAA tournaments at TN. Covid cancelled one year and put limits on recruiting opportunities. Even so, she made it to the Sweet Sixteen on the second trip, with a team that had lost several players to injury. You‘re wanting to compare 2 years against the many years of Holly? Kellie had to start over with recruiting, unlike Holly who started with Pat’s players, and had been in contact with players with Pat, for decades. You want to defend Holly’s Coaching? Leash, disheartening, lower standards? Ridiculous words to use for a Coach who has improved this team each year since she’s been here. You say ‘we’ like you’re a Tennessee fan, but you’re really a fan of another team, I just don’t remember which. You spout troll talk.
AMB3096 is a Tennessee fan. He even defends Tennessee on other forums. AMB3096 explicitly states, in his post that you responded to, that he by " no means defending Holly because she was proven to be a poor coach". Why you would ask him "You want to defend Holly's coaching ?" when he specifically didn't, just doesn't make sense. And really weakens your case.
His point is the CKJH is being given a longer leash than Holly was. I might disagree with him there, but that's the subject under consideration. Btw, Horston and Key made their initial commitments while Holly was coach. Certainly there are issues with this team that are disconcerting (Their current level of play and recruiting are two of them). Would you agree that you can be a true LV fan, while still expressing your concern for the direction the team is going in ?

Last edited:
Does anyone have the last 15 seconds, or more, of the Gonzaga game? Lots of different versions of what happened are being discussed...

Reactions: Raebo
AMB3096 is a Tennessee fan. He even defends Tennessee on other forums. AMB3096 explicitly states, in his post that you responded to, that he by " no means defending Holly because she was proven to be a poor coach". Why you would ask him "You want to defend Holly's coaching ?" when he specifically didn't, just doesn't make sense. And really weakens your case.
His point is the CKJH is being given a longer leash than Holly was. I might disagree with him there, but that's the subject under consideration. Btw, Horston and Key made their initial commitments while Holly was coach. Certainly there are issues with this team that are disconcerting (Their current level of play and recruiting are two of them). Would you agree that you can be a true LV fan, while still expressing your concern for the direction the team is going in ?
He defends Holly, then says he isn’t, but what he is really doing is undermining Kellie, saying she has been found wanting because after all, Holly made it to one Sweet Sixteen, and 2 Elite Eights in her Head Coaching career, and Kellie “hasn’t been able to match even those lower standards.” Kellie has only had the opportunity to go to the NCAA tournament twice, which she did.

This guy said this stuff a couple of years ago, it is not new. I know you mean well, but this guy has been against Kellie from the beginning. He’s just not as obvious as Darth.

He defends Holly, then says he isn’t, but what he is really doing is undermining Kellie, saying she has been found wanting because after all, Holly made it to one Sweet Sixteen, and 2 Elite Eights in her Head Coaching career, and Kellie “hasn’t been able to match even those lower standards.” Kellie has only had the opportunity to go to the NCAA tournament twice, which she did.

This guy said this stuff a couple of years ago, it is not new. I know you mean well, but this guy has been against Kellie from the beginning. He’s just not as obvious as Darth.
Holly was held to a higher standard, as she should have been, considering who was on her team. I think that should be considered as factual. Until this year, I don't think a final four appearance was feasible. So, fortunately or unfortunately, this year's results will be heavily weighted on CKJH's resume.

I agree with you, two years of NCAA tournament participation is not enough, in itself, to draw valid conclusions about a coach's ability. However, there are other factors to consider. Personally, I think it's too early to throw CKJH overboard. Ask me again when the season is over, and I might have a different opinion. And this is from an early member of the out with Holly group.
Since you didn't answer the question in my previous post, I'll try a couple here:
So far this year, do you think this Tennessee team has over achieved, under achieved or performed as expected ?
Would you agree that you can be a true LV fan, while still expressing your concern for the direction the team is heading in ?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1reVOLver
Holly was held to a higher standard, as she should have been, considering who was on her team. I think that should be considered as factual.
Holly could recruit very well, inspite of her coaching inability.

I agree with you, two years of NCAA tournament participation is not enough, in itself, to draw valid conclusions about a coach's ability. However, there are other factors to consider. Personally, I think it's too early to throw CKJH overboard. Ask me again when the season is over, and I might have a different opinion. And this is from an early member of the out with Holly group.
Since you didn't answer the question in my previous post, I'll try a couple here:
So far this year, do you think this Tennessee team has over achieved, under achieved or performed as expected ?
Would you agree that you can be a true LV fan, while still expressing your concern for the direction the team is heading in ?
1. I think our expectations of immediate meshing of the new players with the rest of the team, were too high. I still have high hopes for a very successful season.
2. Of course.
It’s 5:09am, I am sleepy, have a good night.

VN Store

Back