Who is the best DB coach money can buy?

You're telling me that if Jarrod Mayo left the NFL and came here and was a co-DC of an incredibly talented team helping us compete for national titles he'd leave for a lateral move at Alabama/Florida and take over a much worse roster?

You're delusional.
First I agree with you bc I think Muschamp wants another shot at head coaching and probably Georgia gives him that chance.

But there’s always pros and cons to one place vs the other. Muschamp is Co DC on a team with a defensive minded head coach. If he wants more control and probably more cash then he could get that here.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
We are dead last in passing yards given up in the entire country. Does anyone here truly believe that we have the absolute worst physical talent of every D1 team in the nation? There have been walk-ons that have played better defense than what we saw against USCe. There are teams with zero 4 and 5* players doing much better than what we saw Saturday night. We don’t need a bunch of 5* players to have a serviceable secondary. If we had a top 30 secondary it would suffice against most every team we will face, especially considering how effective our offense can be. It boils down to one thing, and one thing only. The secondary is and has been poorly coached.
Not every D1 team plays Georgia, Alabama, Florida, and LSU. Apples and oranges comparison by you and others.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Scheme is just horrible. Every 3rd or 4th down we sit in zone, let their receiver run right into a hole and boom, 3rd and 20 converted. If you’re going to sit in zone we have to pressure the QB. With our defense, if we don’t get pressure period we are getting roasted on the back end. Heupel sees this and needs to step in.

Agree, There is an old saying in football, “it is not the Xs & Os, it’s the Jimmies and Joes”. If your Jimmies & Joes are better than your opponents’, you’ll likely to win most games.
Let's say our talent on D is middle of the pack, 50th-60th best talent in the FBS. Banks has coached them down to almost worst.

Let's say our talent on D is middle of the pack, 50th-60th best talent in the FBS. Banks has coached them down to almost worst.
Then how did we manage to stay in the Georgia game despite all of the issues on offense? Cause from what I saw the defense kept us in that game.

Then how did we manage to stay in the Georgia game despite all of the issues on offense? Cause from what I saw the defense kept us in that game.

Cue the party line that uga allowed us to remain close and could have named their own score because bestest, awesomeness, and all things uga in 3.....2......1.......

This is actually pretty fun!

Reactions: theFallGuy
Our style of offense means our defense isn't going to be very good. I get that Saturday was a disaster and I'm not saying it was acceptable, but calling for coaches to be fired from a 9-2 team that has overachieved all year is pretty ridiculous in my opinion. Face it, South Carolina isn't as bad as we think and they have good players too. Our corners are too slow and they took advantage of that.
Bull crap! You recruit D to stand on it’s own merit. We can have a dominant D and offense. If you think we can concede defense and win championships in this league you are mistaken. You could put Georgia’s D with this offense and they would stand up fine. They may give up a few more points but not that many. I have said it and will continue to say it, if your going to win the SEC in this league your gonna have to be solid all the way around and that means a very good D. Your going to run into D’s in this league that can slow you down a little even if you are a top O. We can’t just be average on D and expect to win or contend for titles. Having said that I think Heupel is fully aware that we have to be strong on both sides of the ball. We also have to develop a more physical running game overall while still utilizing our speed. We will get there. GBO

Our style of offense means our defense isn't going to be very good. I get that Saturday was a disaster and I'm not saying it was acceptable, but calling for coaches to be fired from a 9-2 team that has overachieved all year is pretty ridiculous in my opinion. Face it, South Carolina isn't as bad as we think and they have good players too. Our corners are too slow and they took advantage of that.

Overall the team has overachieved. Specifically the offense has led the Vols to a 9-2 record. The defense has been very porous to put it nicely. The only coach on the D that should have their job after the season is RG. The LB’s can’t wrap up. Yards after contact for our opposing offenses prove that. Every now and then one of our blind squirrels finds a nut. The secondary, God help up. Atrocious. Bottom of the barrel. This defense reminds me of Sal Sinseri’s D. It’s horrible.

Talent excuse is pathetic at this point. Period. Vandy and directional universities are putting better defenses on the field. This wasn’t a good offense we faced. Look at Rattlers QBR all year then look at it versus us.
Playing defense is so much more about athleticism than offense. DBs must have superb reaction and fluid hips to change direction. Recruiting is by far the best way to find these types of players.

Reactions: tbones0711
Bull crap! You recruit D to stand on it’s own merit. We can have a dominant D and offense. If you think we can concede defense and win championships in this league you are mistaken. You could put Georgia’s D with this offense and they would stand up fine. They may give up a few more points but not that many. I have said it and will continue to say it, if your going to win the SEC in this league your gonna have to be solid all the way around and that means a very good D. Your going to run into D’s in this league that can slow you down a little even if you are a top O. We can’t just be average on D and expect to win or contend for titles. Having said that I think Heupel is fully aware that we have to be strong on both sides of the ball. We also have to develop a more physical running game overall while still utilizing our speed. We will get there. GBO
I disagree. Even Alabamas D had taken a step back once they adopted a big play mentality on offense.

Have to agree with this. Can't be dead last in pass defense when we should have far better players than every MAC team AAC team SUNBELT team.

You're both wrong. You can't simply look at team rankings. Who did those teams play? UT currently has the 3rd toughest schedule in the nation, AND put pressure on every team except for Georgia to throw the ball all game. I guarantee you if the Vols played a MAC or AAC schedule that they'd be rankeduch higher than 130 in pass defense.

Best DB coach? Someone earlier said Saban. That's close, and might have been at one time. Currently, the best DB coach and DB recruiter is Kirby Smart.

I didn't even realize Willie Martinez is UT's cornerback coach. That's funny on so many levels.

Reactions: wmcovol
The defense Saturday mailed it in to protest Banks not being allowed to play.

I don't care what's going on internally but it needs fixed immediately!

Lol

If we have players doing that then everyone involved should be in Knoxville with #33.

I disagree. Even Alabamas D had taken a step back once they adopted a big play mentality on offense.
See Georgia, and Alabama still has talented players on D. They just had breakdowns against a very good offense like ours that was clicking. If you don’t think defense is important in winning the sec I don’t have enough time to prove it to you. All the top teams Georgia and LSU and Bama have big athletic guys in the trenches and fast linebackers and Db’s. This is a LOS league and the winners are strong across the board. Nobody is going to win the SEC that doesn’t have a defense that is at least very good in general. If you think otherwise you are mistaken. GBO

Exactly Carolina is not loaded with talent on offense, that was a 100% preparedness, scheme and coaching fail.

I’d like to go after Muschamp as DC (co dc at UGA right now) and let him pick his position coaches
Yep him and Heupel would gel like oil and water

VN Store

Back