'22 Recruiting Forum: Official South Carolina Pregame/Game Thread

Well. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say somebody should probably be fired over this one.

I think Banks made the most sense considering the entire defense outside of the D-line has been suspect all year.

But his replacement will probably also be a DIE hire... so who knows if they want to go down that road.

Willie might be dunzo if somebody gets scape goated for this one.

Reactions: Big Orange#1
Our defense has plenty of weaknesses and over the season we had overcome those weaknesses. Tonight was a perfect storm similar to Florida game. Richardson played a near perfect game, but it was not perfect. Tonight Rattler was perfect. Even when we had coverage, he threw perfect passes. He played the game of his life, hewill never play a better game.
We may have been overconfident, I think that was part of the problem even last week versus Missouri. Hadden is a problem. Too much mouth and nothing to back it up.
Heupel’s greatest challenge will not be offense, but defense. Will he recruit a better staff?
It was embarrassing how much talking our DBs were doing on the road to giving up 60. We were basically Akron tonight.

It happens when you are 2-3 yrs ahead of schedule.
You know what sucks? I have been holding on all year to being pessimistic because of that very reason....thinking every week that this will be the week when the house of cards falls..

Just when I FINALLY believed this team was for real....this awful nightmare happened. If it is a horrible joke on anyone, it is on me.

We peaked in October. The team that showed up against UGA/Mizzou/USC isn't the same as the team that showed up against LSU/Bama/UK. Now we need to beat Vandy and get into a NY6 bowl. At the beginning of the year I would've been thrilled with 10-2 and NY6 bowl, so hopefully we can achieve that, even if it seems like a disappointing result tonight.

Now we'll start to learn a lot about Heupel...
- Can he motivate the team and beat Vandy? Or will he pull a Butch '16 and let one disappointment lead to total season collapse?
- Will he be stubborn and stand by members of his staff who aren't cutting it? Or acknowledge now that he needs to make changes to get where we want to get?
- Can he close out a recruiting class and pull key players from the transfer portal to get the pieces we'll need to win next year?

Reactions: Enki_Amenra
I mean we’ll beat Vandy next week and play in a good bowl game after. I will be checking out, in two games time. Follow recruiting some. We’ll be fine, but geezus Christ this was really really bad. Tim banks needs to be gone and our next DC needs to be bigtime.
I meant the thread...not the team...I'm going to check out of here in a bit and calm down and think.

Reactions: Clevegasvol
So the rumors about discipline with Heupel are true? How do you not get banks in line for two more damn games? You cost yourself the playoff and maybe the team the way they looked tonight.
Idk, the discipline thing I remember I4Jay talking about it. Early on it seemed to be true with a ton of penalties. Then you have things like tonight where the team just doesnt com prepared. I understand Heupel wants to be the family friendly fun guy, but sometimes you gotta be the ******* and chew on someone when they need it. If the players respect him enough theyll take it to heart and come around.

Reactions: Smyrna ATL Vol
I have to finally agree...this was absolutely inexcusable incompetence from the defensive staff. I am now firmly on board with keel hauling Banks and Martinez....post haste. They shouldn't get paid for this garbage.
Banks, evidently was the only one that would take the job. If so, I get. I probably would have went with an up and comer from a lower level before I would have paid Banks $2mil. I would have went and found the next Josh Heupel on the defensive side. It was evident to me Banks was way put of his league last year. There's got to be a change during the off season.

If we can win next week and win a big bowl it will equal one of Fulmer's best years. We could finish 11-2. And Heup didn't start with peak Majors. Let's don't overreact, although this is painful.
I agree, but lord that was some of the worst defense I’ve ever seen.

Reactions: Orange.
Kirby showed the way you defend this offense, you keep everything in front of you, make sure tackles, make Tennessee March the field in time consuming drives. That's exactly what SC did and we didn't handle UT well. We scored enough for most teams but when you're defense is DIV II level that's not good enough.
We scored f'n 38 points...do you understand that?

Reactions: yourstruly23
Banks, evidently was the only one that would take the job. If so, I get. I probably would have went with an up and comer from a lower level before I would have paid Banks $2mil. I would have went and found the next Josh Heupel on the defensive side. It was evident to me Banks was way put of his league last year. There's got to be a change during the off season.
I was shocked when I heard $2mil for him.

Reactions: InVOLuntary

VN Store

Back