What do board members think is the problem of this team?

See, I don't get or like this--- Barnes has been a coach long enough and been at UT long enough that he shouldn't have to "figure it out"--- at this point, he should know what it takes and have his team ready mentally and physically. That only tells me their practices have been lacking.

Most of Barnes teams other than when Williams and Admiral have been very emotionally fragile, not a lot of confidence and swag... If they come out and are in sync and hitting, then they can keep it and beat anyone... they come out cold or hit some cold spells and their confidence plummets and they hardly ever come out of it... That's coaching. Sorry.

Very early in the season, so most likely they will get it together sooner than later. Definitely a head scratcher coming off last season and a great showing pre-season to look and act like they did against CO...Guess we'll see.
Well, let's be fair here. First, ZZ was great off the bench, but Chandler was the qb of that team last year. No way to know what the additional burden of starting and being THE man would do to ZZs game. Barnes also knew that Key could play some at the point along with Vescovi, but he really didn't know how things would work out due to my first point. Both are great threats off the ball, but with the added pressure of playing point, you really don't know how it will impact them. What astounds me is that we appear to be somewhat reliant on a player like Plavi. Never would have imagined losing him would cause such a hiccup on this team. Very, very disappointed in ON. It appears he is what he is. So now Barnes has to turn to Aidoo and Awaka and force feed them in the early part of the schedule. No easy task especially with Awaka being so inexperienced. All in all, it's clear this years team will not be getting off to a fast start. It's going to have growing pains. Won't be the least bit surprised to see us drop tonights game, too. Imagine what our offense would look like if we take Hooker and Mayes out of the lineup and plug in Jackson and Nichols. Pretty sure we'd have some rough moments. That, IMO, is where this years hoops roster is.

Reactions: volinbama256
Well, let's be fair here. First, ZZ was great off the bench, but Chandler was the qb of that team last year. No way to know what the additional burden of starting and being THE man would do to ZZs game. Barnes also knew that Key could play some at the point along with Vescovi, but he really didn't know how things would work out due to my first point. Both are great threats off the ball, but with the added pressure of playing point, you really don't know how it will impact them. What astounds me is that we appear to be somewhat reliant on a player like Plavi. Never would have imagined losing him would cause such a hiccup on this team. Very, very disappointed in ON. It appears he is what he is. So now Barnes has to turn to Aidoo and Awaka and force feed them in the early part of the schedule. No easy task especially with Awaka being so inexperienced. All in all, it's clear this years team will not be getting off to a fast start. It's going to have growing pains. Won't be the least bit surprised to see us drop tonights game, too. Imagine what our offense would look like if we take Hooker and Mayes out of the lineup and plug in Jackson and Nichols. Pretty sure we'd have some rough moments. That, IMO, is where this years hoops roster is.

I agree, but you can't ignore what we did against Gonzaga... we weren't playing their B-team and even though it didn't "count", you know both teams were out there giving it all and wanting to prove something, so we have the talent, it's just not being used or executed the right way or consistently...

I think the posters who mentioned missing Chandler is the issue right now. Every team needs that guy that can just make something happen when the shooters are off or everyone is just standing around. They don't have that guy yet this season. I was hoping Key was going to be the new Chandler but maybe not.

Lacking guys who can create their own shot.

As a subset of that, need more points from the paint.

Right now, we have a group of streaky perimeter shooters.

Reactions: Hbg
Lacking guys who can create their own shot.

As a subset of that, need more points from the paint.

Right now, we have a group of streaky perimeter shooters.
This team looked dominant in the paint against Gonzaga. They did nothing against Colorado. I’m hoping this team is last years UNC who was absolutely awful at the beginning of the year.

KY does this every year, they look bad starting the season and by tournament time they are humming along. This year we may need to do the same thing, develop as the year goes on. Last year's team was good in the regular season but tanked in the tournament.
Yepper

This team looked dominant in the paint against Gonzaga. They did nothing against Colorado. I’m hoping this team is last years UNC who was absolutely awful at the beginning of the year.

Well good! I was too cheap to pay for the Gonzaga. So, just going off the Nashville game....bunch of shooting and missing!

The original question posed was, "What do board members think is the problem of this team?"

I suspect there is not a unsolvable problem. What this looks like is maybe too much, unexpected, early success (MSU and the Zags) coupled with a bit of immaturity by the team. They started reading how great they were and assumed it just happens because they are breathing. I would bet there have been corrections and there will be no complacency tonight or anytime in the future. The team that dominated Gonzaga should be right back. We'll see. Go Vols!

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
We supposedly have a very talented team, but it seems all this talent is not being utilized properly.
It's chemistry, they have practiced a lot together, but have played very few real games together. They will hopefully jel in the next month or it could be a subpar year.

I am curious as to why Barnes has never hired an assistant from the Big Ten conference who always have consistent inside post play and surely one of those assistants could help improve Tennessee's post players.

I'd venture to guess most every regular poster in this forum can name the assistant coaches without blinking. The same way most football regulars can name the Tennessee OC and DC without any problem.
This is correct I posted Rod Clark because he was recruiting Cason Wallace last year and Justin Gainey brought Aidoo with him from Xavier I think the other I would have never guessed

Reactions: cncchris33
This is correct I posted Rod Clark because he was recruiting Cason Wallace last year and Justin Gainey brought Aidoo with him from Xavier I think the other I would have never guessed
Marquette

Polinsky is the one who might fly under the radar a bit because he was simply an internal promotion when Schwartz left.

Reactions: knoxvol52
Correct, with Chandler gone we have no one taking it inside, tonight Mashack took on that role. In my opinion we need that on a nightly basis somebody that will do it with conviction not just miss a layup.

Correct, with Chandler gone we have no one taking it inside, tonight Mashack took on that role. In my opinion we need that on a nightly basis somebody that will do it with conviction not just miss a layup.
I think our best hope for doing that consistently is Phillips. Hasn’t shown it yet but has shown the potential to make it happen as a great slasher.

They played much better last night-- Not just trying to win with threes.

In other news, Gonzaga obviously wasn't as good as they were rated.

I am curious as to why Barnes has never hired an assistant from the Big Ten conference who always have consistent inside post play and surely one of those assistants could help improve Tennessee's post players.
If the Big 10 plays such great basketball then why do they never win the Championship. I'm pretty sure the last Big 10 team to do so was Mich State in 2000?

I'd say that he's pretty good at hiring assistants, since there's a revolving door of him hiring assistants, who then leave to get head coaching jobs.

There are no post players who demand a double team nor are there any who can consistently beat P5 defender and score. There is no one on the perimeter who can beat their man off the dribble and score at the rim. This team will live and die by the 3 and their defense.

There are no post players who demand a double team nor are there any who can consistently beat P5 defender and score. There is no one on the perimeter who can beat their man off the dribble and score at the rim. This team will live and die by the 3 and their defense.
I’m going to go out on a limb and say Uros can consistently beat single coverage in the post and score when he has the floor spacing for that baby hook. When we’re not shooting the 3 well other teams pack it in and dare us to make those long range shots. Would be interesting to space the floor and give Uros a few designed post opportunities

VN Store

Back