The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

So our defense will be elite once again and we're going to still have droughts scoring since we shoot it from deep so much.

ZZ, Phillips, Aidoo, Mashack all have crazy upside and if they progress during the season we'll be a very strong team come March.

ZZ: 12 points, 2 rebounds, 5 assist, 2 steals in his 28 minutes
Phillips: 8 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 block, 0 turnovers in his 24 minutes
Aidoo: 3 points, 2 rebounds, 1 steal, 0 turnovers in his 10 minutes
Mashack: 5 points, 2 rebounds, 3 assist, 3 steals in his 19 minutes

Key is a big time addition, having another good shooter than can help handle the point and works as hard as he does rebounding and on defense is big. He's a better shooter than KC was, but obviously no where near as fast or good of a driver.
Santi & JJJ we know who they are, just need them to be consistent throughout the season I think once more chemistry develops with the new additions we'll see their play elevate some. Just hope they stay healthy all season.

So at this point I'd say our question mark player is Nkamhoua. He's not played as much as Santi, Key, or JJJ so I think there is still room for him to take a big step. But he's also coming off missing most of last season and an injury. He had a rough first game back honestly. Played more minutes than Uros & Aidoo combined but didn't really out produce them on the boards. If he plays more like he did against Gonzaga then we'll be a better team for it.

BJ Edwards, Awaka, & DJ all three I hope we get to redshirt and they are here for the long haul. Awaka is a beast already on the boards in his 6 minutes he grabbed 3 rebounds I'm excited to see where his game is in year 3-4.

Wow….. I knew the Peay weren’t going to be great, but a 49 point beat down to NC State?

I think we're going to shoot a bunch of teams out of the gym, but I worry about the games where the 3 ball isn't hitting or we run into another Michigan game scenario. Who's going to take charge and get us a bucket underneath?

I was hoping to see more of Phillips making plays with the ball.

Edwards looks like he's going to turn into a fine player in the next few years.

Reactions: kxtop and berryvol
I think we're going to shoot a bunch of teams out of the gym, but I worry about the games where the 3 ball isn't hitting or we run into another Michigan game scenario. Who's going to take charge and get us a bucket underneath?

Agreed. Although we also won't see 12 players getting minutes most games either. It's TTU and first game of the season, I think the team was given a lot more freedom to just shoot when open.

JJJ, ZZ, and hopefully Phillips will drive to the rim more as the season progresses. I am also hoping to see more interior scoring from ORN, Uros, Aidoo as well, even just put backs off offensive rebounds would be nice.

Reactions: johnfnkelly
Agreed. Although we also won't see 12 players getting minutes most games either. It's TTU and first game of the season, I think the team was given a lot more freedom to just shoot when open.

JJJ, ZZ, and hopefully Phillips will drive to the rim more as the season progresses. I am also hoping to see more interior scoring from ORN, Uros, Aidoo as well, even just put backs off offensive rebounds would be nice.
I was hoping ORN would develop more of a back to the basket game but from i've seen so far, it seems he's mostly worked on perimeter play and outside shooting in the last year.

I am surprised we didn't see any break away dunks against an inferior team, especially considering how many steals we had.

I was hoping ORN would develop more of a back to the basket game but from i've seen so far, it seems he's mostly worked on perimeter play and outside shooting in the last year.

Sadly at his size playing with Finland and international ball probably hurt any progress towards a back to the basket game. I'd say he was working more as a 3 or stretch 4 away from the basket.

Phillips was aggressive in trying to get to his spots last night, I think you likely see that turning into him getting to the rim more as he gets more comfy. JJJ and Key both showed an ability to get inside at times, as well, so I think we’ll be able to get to the hoop more during droughts as the season progresses and the team gels.

got my BB Time mag today
BBT-Cover-2022-23-for-Website.jpg

Well that didn't take long for the lovefest for the LV to turn sour.
They're still going to be good, but my God, those turnovers were tough to watch.

I'm hoping it's a Chemistry thing...even though it's a upper-class heavy team they haven't got much court time together with so many being recent transfers. But that was sloppy basketball and the lack of adjustment to the press from coaching (using timeouts more, putting more ball handlers on the court to handle it, setting screens and moving on inbounds etc.) was annoying.

Seeing some hot takes after that game. Personally, don’t think we have enough data to draw conclusions.
I'm not gonna torpedo the whole season but I mean today was completely unacceptable. I am not gonna blame people for being angry. This is our worst loss in years and if it is reflective of how this team will perform all year, I will have questions

I'm not gonna torpedo the whole season but I mean today was completely unacceptable. I am not gonna blame people for being angry. This is our worst loss in years and if it is reflective of how this team will perform all year, I will have questions

I already posted some knee jerk reactions that I'll probably back off later, but I'm not going to lie.....I'm pretty pissed off at that performance. That was effin terrible. And FGCU in 3 days is no gimmie.

This is the worst loss of the Barnes era, IMO. Not sure there’s a close second with the expectations for this team.

Reactions: kxtop and Vol49er

VN Store

Back