Horston still getting used to 4" increase in her vertical

kamoshika

Horston didn't even realize just how much she had increased her vertical initially. "I knew I was jumping higher, but I didn't know it was four inches," Horston said. "And I thought back and I was like, 'Wait, four inches is kind of high.' But our strength coach is amazing. I locked in, been doing things differently this year, and the results are showing."

Lady Vols coach Kellie Harper said the jump Horston made is "unheard of" when she spoke to the Knoxville Rotary Club on Tuesday. "For her to be elite and then to go elite-r, it just shows you the kind of work that she did with our strength and conditioning coach over the summer," Harper said. "And I mean, she is loving it. She is just bouncing." If the right situation arises, Harper told Horston she can try and throw down a dunk during a game this season.

Tennessee guard Jordan Horston adjusting to 4-inch increase in vertical

I've never heard of someone at her age and athletic development increasing their vertical jump by that much. It makes me think
that something was off with her effort or technique or the measurement with her last (or earlier) jumps. I've also never, ever heard of a basketball player
having to "get used to" his or her new jumping ability.

Reactions: Rooster1
She mentioned in some interview I heard or saw a while back (paraphrasing) that her injury had shown her just how quickly the game could be taken away from her, and so it made her appreciate everything she had WAY more. She said she started taking the game and her workouts way more seriously and was giving maximum effort all the time now.

I think the injury made her grow up, frankly. Or, rather, the realization of how quickly life dreams can be taken away. She got a big ol' injection of GrowTFU. lol I suspect she had the kind of epiphany that usually happens a few years after college. Lucky us!

Last edited:
I've never heard of someone at her age and athletic development increasing their vertical jump by that much. It makes me think
that something was off with her effort or technique or the measurement with her last (or earlier) jumps. I've also never, ever heard of a basketball player
Leave it to you to find something nefarious in a relatively innocuous bit of info.

This is all true. I don’t think anyone is trying be be deceitful obviously, it’s probably something that has an explanation and tbh, it’s not something I think most people will push too hard.

technique factors into everything,,,even jumping.
If she was jumping off of two feet instead of thrusting the non-lift-off foot to propel the body,,,she could easily add 4 inches

technique factors into everything,,,even jumping.
If she was jumping off of two feet instead of thrusting the non-lift-off foot to propel the body,,,she could easily add 4 inches
Well, you can just watch videos of previous games. She did not begin her jumps off of two feet. Watch her climb to the rim on any of her moves to the basket.

Well, you can just watch videos of previous games. She did not begin her jumps off of two feet. Watch her climb to the rim on any of her slashes to the bucket, normal jumps done just like athletes do all the time. Had she been starting her jumps from two feet or even “flat footed” (she wasn’t) it would have been so noticeable everyone would have remarked.
I was being very basic
How hard you throw your non-jumping leg into the jump affects it
How hard you thrust your upper body/arm upward affects it
How you go into your "gather" affects it
want more?...

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I was being very basic
How hard you throw your non-jumping leg into the jump affects it
How hard you thrust your upper body/arm upward affects it
How you go into your "gather" affects it
want more?...
She is an elite athlete, she has always had good leaping ability. Pretty sure none of those things were issues for her. Like I said above, most, including me, won’t kick this around anymore. What’s the point? I hope her newfound hops gets her several dunks per game, not to mention all the additional rebounds, blocks etc. that comes with 4 extra inches of liftoff. Attached video from 2019, she was attempting dunks for fun.

Last edited:
She is an elite athlete, she has always had good leaping ability. Pretty sure none of those things were issues for her. Like I said above, most, including me, won’t kick this around anymore. What’s the point? I hope her newfound hops gets her several dunks per game, not to mention all the additional rebounds, blocks etc. that comes with 4 extra inches of liftoff. Attached video from 2019, she was attempting dunks for fun.

But adding 4 inches to an already pretty good vertical, in just one off season, is impressive. I definitely want to find out what specific training routine she did. If could add 4 inches to my current vertical, I would be able to jump 4 and a quarter inches. I need that boost!

Maybe she has to "get used to" the landing. She has to wait four Inches longer to hit the ground. LOL. Don't want to twist an angle.

Reactions: VollyParton

VN Store

Back