CFP Scenarios (merged)

Thoughts on this…
1 loss Oregon team. I think as PAC 12 champs, they’d get a spot over either 1 loss UT or OSU/UM loser. So if TCU does lose and there’s a fourth spot open, does committee give it to Big 10 or SEC?

So, my priority spots are…
SEC Champ (UGA/LSU)
Big 10 Champ (OSU/UM)
Undefeated TCU
1 loss UGA (if they lose in SECCG)
1 loss PAC 12 champ Oregon
UT vs OSU/UM loser???

Reactions: bjrhodes01
No way TCU is behind us. There was already controversy of their ranking. They are undefeated and we just lost, in a big way. Struggle or not they won.

What controversy? The committee looked at their resume and doesn’t think always coming from behind against inferior opponents is worthy of a high ranking.

TCU won’t jump us.

The more I read posts like this the more disappointing it is. This was a loss for certain. I had hoped we would overcome the talent gap, but we were not able to. Horrific loss?! Did we lose by three scores to a 5-3 unranked team to lose our first game? Did we give up and stop trying when things went south? If they learn something from how the bulldogs handled us on both sides of the ball, then we will benefit. They weren't ready for the atmosphere and it showed. They weren't ready for the noise and it showed. Even when it looked like they had found something on offense and were driving, a monsoon hit and Hooker couldn't keep his passes down at all. How many expected a 75 yard coffin corner punt?
Please understand this isn't directed at your post personally, it just happened to be the OP of a thread that matches so many like it. You phrased it like we were expecting to be in the playoffs and we had blown it up. This team has been languishing in an unprecedented dry spell where we stopped acting like a fan base because of BVS. Now we have started to turn things around, and ONE disappointing loss has many of you acting like we are trash. I have seen many posts stating how horrible opposing teams fans are, some of this group should read your own posts.
Totally fair. I suppose my use of “horrific” stems from being a student who was on campus for the game, surrounded by a ton of VERY negative individuals. In the moment that loss felt earth shattering (especially because it’s my senior year, so any loss at this point feels even worse than it is, unfortunately.) but you’re totally right. Thank you for setting me straight 🫡

Thoughts on this…
1 loss Oregon team. I think as PAC 12 champs, they’d get a spot over either 1 loss UT or OSU/UM loser. So if TCU does lose and there’s a fourth spot open, does committee give it to Big 10 or SEC?

SEC Champ (UGA/LSU)
Big 10 Champ (OSU/UM)
Undefeated TCU
UT vs OSU/UM loser???
That’s how I see it play out. After all the games are played it will be 1 loss Vol or 1 loss Ohio st/ Michigan

Thoughts on this…

SEC Champ (UGA/LSU)
Big 10 Champ (OSU/UM)
Undefeated TCU
UT vs OSU/UM loser???

I would also worry (a little) about a 1-loss USC or UCLA champion...although neither looked impressive in their daylight saving primetime spot last night. Short of stellar performances down the stretch, I doubt they top Vols.

Keep telling yourself that and you will be very disappointed come selection day
He’s right.
Tennessee will have the best one loss resume.
Ohio state or Michigan will fall out.
Georgia beats LSWho in the SECCG
Undefeated TCU is the fourth team.

we still have to win out but the path is still more likely than not.

Keep on trolling, trolling, trolling……

huge freeze is a scumbag who will never coach at Tennessee.
are you not happy with 11-1? c'mon man. this is great season with some quality wins against 2-loss teams, plus a #12 recruiting class waiting in the wings. time to celebrate

Reactions: AllVols
If we finish 11-1 with our only loss to #1 on their home field, there is no way another one-loss team jumps over us. Conference champ or not. None.

Our body of work is too good, and the committee selects the four best teams. If they didn’t, they wouldn’t have convened two years ago to vote Ohio State in even though they hadn’t played the required number of games to qualify.

If we finish 11-1 with our only loss to #1 on their home field, there is no way another one-loss team jumps over us. Conference champ or not. None.

Our body of work is too good, and the committee selects the four best teams. If they didn’t, they wouldn’t have convened two years ago to vote Ohio State in even though they hadn’t played the required number of games to qualify.
If UGA loses the SECC then Vols are out

Reactions: bjrhodes01 and TNBV

Conference championship is actually the biggest priority to the committee when comparing similar records. Oregon as PAC 12 champ with one loss to UGA will ABSOLUTELY get a spot over UT.

Reactions: bjrhodes01 and TNBV
I think a one loss UCLA/Oregon/USC likely gets in before us with a conference championship. All three have a much more impressive final 3 weeks than we do AND would have a win in a championship game against another ranked team while we are sitting at home.

There will be at least two one-loss teams playing conference championship games while Vols are sitting at home. Our best wins are against 2-loss teams, both of which will probably be 3-loss teams by the time the final rankings are released. There is a path but it requires a huge amount of dominoes to fall our way. I say, enjoy the team's success and don't make getting into the playoff a litmus test.

Genuine question, as long as we win out after this horrific loss, what scenario gets us in? Anyone have a solid explanation?
With LSU now controlling the west, Tennessee has a shot to still make the playoffs. Best chance is GA beats LSU in SEC championship.
Playoffs would be:
GA
Ohio st
TCU
Tennessee best 1 loss team

So you want us to look at the scores and believe the committee will give us more credit for a loss at UGA than a win for TCU? But then you state Oregon will not jump us because we have the same record, after a 39 point win? Now I don't think Oregon jumps us (yet) but you seem to be using selective information to fit your ideal scenario
TCU played a very poor game against tech. They were already behind Bama. All things the same we move to where Bama was in front of them. Oregon, we have the same team as our loss and we didn't get boat raced as bad as them. Not sure what you mean by selecting, but those are just facts.

TCU played a very poor game against tech. They were already behind Bama. All things the same we move to where Bama was in front of them. Oregon, we have the same team as our loss and we didn't get boat raced as bad as them. Not sure what you mean by selecting, but those are just facts.

Ok, the CFP committee likes bad wins more than good losses. That is a fact. I think we are a better team than TCU but they will be ranked above us and will stay there until they get beat.

Reactions: Clayton
I don’t understand all the Debbie Downers. Yes Georgia made us look bad but at the end of the day, the score was 27-13. That isn’t exactly getting “dominated.” Clemson lost and they are toast. Alabama lost and they are toast. The LSU win for us is looking very good right now considering we throttled them. The committee isn’t high on TCU because they are constantly having to come from behind against mediocre teams. That being said, come Tuesday, it will be Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan, Tennessee. The biggest concern I have right now is Oregon. They have a legitimate shot at winning the PAC-12. If the committee is high on them, we will need a loss from TCU just for “insurance” purposes. Tennessee is firmly within the top 4 teams in the country. I honestly believe that if the committee would pick the best 4 teams in the country, they’d have to put Tennessee in the mix. Will that be the case? I don’t know. They typically don’t seem to look at it like that. Nonetheless, we still make it to the CFP. I have very little doubt about that as long as we go back to skull dragging these next 3 opponents.

VN Store

Back