CFP Scenarios (merged)

Jerry Palm of CBS Sports has Tennessee #4 playing #1 Georgia in the FBS Playoff Semifinals in the Peach Bowl.

His Top 4 teams are

Georgia
Ohio State
TCU
Tennessee

Reactions: BLEBYU
I don’t see TCU jumping that when they struggled with Texas Tech.

Most likely rankings will be

1. UGA
2. Mich
3. OSU
4. TN
5. LSU
6. TCU

I like this. I think it is more likely to be following:

1- Georgia
2- Michigan
3- Ohio State
4- Tennessee
5-Oregon
6- LSU

TCU stays at 7 in my mind. 10 point wins in back to back weeks over WVU and Texas Tech aren’t booster for them to move up.

Reactions: zydane47
I don’t see TCU jumping that when they struggled with Texas Tech.

Most likely rankings will be

1. UGA
2. Mich
3. OSU
4. TN
5. LSU
6. TCU

No way TCU is behind us. There was already controversy of their ranking. They are undefeated and we just lost, in a big way. Struggle or not they won.

Reactions: volwindy and FBtime
The justification would be SEC champ and wins over UGA and Ala. But SEC champ would be the kicker.

If winning the Championship really means that much, then NO SEC team will get in if LSU wins out. They will select the 1 loss conference champs from the other conferences instead.

If after the championship - there is an undefeated Big 10 team, a one loss B12 team, a one loss Pac 10 team, a one loss ACC team and a 2 loss SEC champ - if the committee doesn't feel comfortable like you are saying picking a 1 loss SEC team over the champion - then they could leave the SEC out entirely. That has never happened. UGA may not get in if they lose to a SEC team that has 2 losses - they would be in with all the "other" 1 loss team category with a weaker resume that some of those 1 loss teams.

Reactions: VFL21
No way TCU is behind us. There was already controversy of their ranking. They are undefeated and we just lost, in a big way. Struggle or not they won.
And they aren't moving up as much at UT, Bama and Clemson are moving down.

An absolute miracle. We won't remain in the top 7 after this loss. I bet we fall outside the top 10. We got dominated in every way you can imagine.
Which one loss team has a better resume? Just my guess but I think the committee will make us the first one loss team, and that still gives us an outside shot at making the CFPs, but we definitely need some help.

Good thing about the CFP media types are not voting members. TCU can’t struggle to win week in and out vs bad teams and expect to move up. I would be shocked if Oregon and LSU don’t leap them tomorrow night.

From a playoff perspective our beatdown of LSU at LSU will go a long way. We are a bit fortunate they played so poorly in their opener against FSU.

If winning the Championship really means that much, then NO SEC team will get in if LSU wins out. They will select the 1 loss conference champs from the other conferences instead.

If after the championship - there is an undefeated Big 10 team, a one loss B12 team, a one loss Pac 10 team, a one loss ACC team and a 2 loss SEC champ - if the committee doesn't feel comfortable like you are saying picking a 1 loss SEC team over the champion - then they could leave the SEC out entirely. That has never happened. UGA may not get in if they lose to a SEC team that has 2 losses - they would be in with all the "other" 1 loss team category with a weaker resume that some of those 1 loss teams.

Not at all. Arguing for a 2 loss SEC champ with a win over the previously undefeated number 1 is a lot stronger resume than selecting any non-conference champ (except UGA). And yes, winning the SEC carries more weight than winning the Pac 12 or ACC. What I am arguing against is the idea that LSU wins out and the committee takes 2 one loss non-champions from the SEC leaving out at least 3 other conference champions, including the SEC champ. Not saying you can't make an argument for UT and UGA to go if LSU wins it all, just saying it will not happen. OSU/Mich and UGA will get 2 of the spots. If either USC/Oregon/UCLA win out they get the third. TCU is in if they win out. IF Clemson wins out they would might go before a 2nd SEC team but LSU would have a better chance than we do with a last weekend win in the SEC championship over #1 UGA.

Last edited:
Michigan and Ohio State play on 11-26. One will lose.
1-Geogia
2-Ohio State
3-TCU
4-Vols
I would love another shot at Georgia!

Reactions: BLEBYU
Yesterday sucked but everything broke our way last night with Clemson and Bama losing. I have zero doubt TCU will get beat by Texas or Baylor. The only teams that really worry me is a 1 loss Oregon or USC who is a conference champ. Ole Miss will lose again at some point, probably this week against a pissed off Bama. It's hard to beat a good team twice in the same year. I fully believe we get a rematch with Georgia.

Regardless, I think it is clear we want UGA to win the SEC. Idea scenario is for TCU to lose to Texas and Clemson to get beat by USCjr or someone else.

I am extremely excited that we are even in the conversation at this point, little less have a real chance of still making it into the playoffs. I guess it is a matter of point of view.

Reactions: LadyVolette
TCU has Texas, Baylor and Iowa State left plus a likely rematch with Texas or Oklahoma State in a Big 12 championship. If TCU wins out I think they get in but Texas and Baylor and Oklahoma State are all solid teams and I bet they loose one.

1. GA
2. Ohio state
3 Michigan
4. Tcu
5. Tenn
6. Lsu
7. Clemson
8. Oregon
I think we will drop a spot with the weak schedule we have left and probably be around 6 in the next few weeks. Michigan probably beats Ohio state their both playing poorly but Michigan seems to be less poor right now. That will help us and definitely need tcu to lose for us to have a shot. We will be penalized the last weekend for not being in conference championship more than likely.

Reactions: FBtime
I possibility. The CFP has made it clear that conference champions matter.

Several years back, Penn State won the B1G but Ohio State went to the playoffs and Penn State stayed home. I could see the same thing happening to LSU.

Several years back, Penn State won the B1G but Ohio State went to the playoffs and Penn State stayed home. I could see the same thing happening to LSU.
Yes, with UGA going. I don't see 2 teams (US) going in front of them as champs

No way TCU jumps from 7-4 on a subpar performance against Texas tech
They end up 4th and should. Last week was a slight against TCU.

The committee will make up for it Since 3 teams lost in front of them.

At this moment, the CFP system is just beginning and there is enough football left to see a bunch of changes.

This is why we need to expand to the 12 system and if we did have one this year it would be easier to include the teams that would be left out.

Then No guess work and no one could complain with the exception of seeding.

Reactions: TNBV
I guess some just skimmed the scores and didn't pay attention. TCU had trouble, Oregon won't jump us with the same record Ohio St looked bad too. Tenn drops no further than 4.

VN Store

Back