My Thoughts on the Kentucky Game, After Sleeping on it

NighthawkVol

Great environment again. Not as loud as Florida or Alabama, but still really loud. Neyland at night is special. The added light and pyrotechnics have brought it to another level.

-I have to start with the defense. I know Kentucky doesn't have the best offense in the SEC, but they're decent. I mentioned a few days ago that we were starting to come around defensively against LSU, then experienced the loss of some DBs and played Bama, so we took a step back. When I saw that both Hadden and Charles were out again, I was a little disheartened that our secondary would be moving forward any against Kentucky. I was wrong. Turnage and Slaughter need to be the starting CBs going forward. They played the best combined game by UT's outside CBs against an SEC team since Heupel took over. Slaughter lining up at CB shocked me. He hasn't played that position since he arrived. But he looked very natural there. Turnage was excellent too. Can't remember which of the two it was who turned and played the ball to get an INT on the long bomb, but that's what we've been wanting from our CBs for years.

I know it's hard to tell on TV, but being at the game, I was watching the secondary and they left Kentucky very few openings. Also, Wesley Walker played really well. Might be time to start him at Star. I'm very encouraged about this defense going forward because of the improved play of the secondary.

-The offense was extremely explosive against a very good defense, scoring 44 points (and could've scored more, but we went vanilla in the 4Q), and they really didn't play as well as they could. Squirrel dropped 2 passes that could've been TD. Tillman looked okay, but was kept on a pitch count and didn't play much. Some penalties got UT behind the chains on a couple of drives. And yet...44 points. If the defense is this good going forward and the offense hits its peak, this team will be unbeatable.

-Other than the missed PAT after the hold, special teams were great. Deflected a punt (not sure how Perry didn't block it), punt return game was great, and covered very well. Brooks also got off some great punts. Ekeler has really improved that unit.

-Kentucky is back in our rearview mirror as a program. It's embarrassing that we made them an actual tough game for awhile, we're back to the proper position of Kentucky being a program that is beneath us and should be an automatic win. The only question is margin. That'll be the case going forward.

The best takeaway is the attitude of this team. They come into every game with a business-like approach. They weren't overlooking Kentucky. They don't play intimidated against Bama or Florida (and won't against Georgia). They just go out and compete the way they know they should each Saturday. It's so refreshing.

Great environment again. Not as loud as Florida or Alabama, but still really loud. Neyland at night is special. The added light and pyrotechnics have brought it to another level.

-I have to start with the defense. I know Kentucky doesn't have the best offense in the SEC, but they're decent. I mentioned a few days ago that we were starting to come around defensively against LSU, then experienced the loss of some DBs and played Bama, so we took a step back. When I saw that both Hadden and Charles were out again, I was a little disheartened that our secondary would be moving forward any against Kentucky. I was wrong. Turnage and Slaughter need to be the starting CBs going forward. They played the best combined game by UT's outside CBs against an SEC team since Heupel took over. Slaughter lining up at CB shocked me. He hasn't played that position since he arrived. But he looked very natural there. Turnage was excellent too. Can't remember which of the two it was who turned and played the ball to get an INT on the long bomb, but that's what we've been wanting from our CBs for years.

I know it's hard to tell on TV, but being at the game, I was watching the secondary and they left Kentucky very few openings. Also, Wesley Walker played really well. Might be time to start him at Star. I'm very encouraged about this defense going forward because of the improved play of the secondary.

-The offense was extremely explosive against a very good defense, scoring 44 points (and could've scored more, but we went vanilla in the 4Q), and they really didn't play as well as they could. Squirrel dropped 2 passes that could've been TD. Tillman looked okay, but was kept on a pitch count and didn't play much. Some penalties got UT behind the chains on a couple of drives. And yet...44 points. If the defense is this good going forward and the offense hits its peak, this team will be unbeatable.

-Other than the missed PAT after the hold, special teams were great. Deflected a punt (not sure how Perry didn't block it), punt return game was great, and covered very well. Brooks also got off some great punts. Ekeler has really improved that unit.

-Kentucky is back in our rearview mirror as a program. It's embarrassing that we made them an actual tough game for awhile, we're back to the proper position of Kentucky being a program that is beneath us and should be an automatic win. The only question is margin. That'll be the case going forward.

The best takeaway is the attitude of this team. They come into every game with a business-like approach. They weren't overlooking Kentucky. They don't play intimidated against Bama or Florida (and won't against Georgia). They just go out and compete the way they know they should each Saturday. It's so refreshing.
Something else that's refreshing....waking up on a gameday like next Saturday and being in THE game of the day....the one that everyone will be watching. And on top of that, it will be the second time this year that we've been in that spot. Man, you cannot spend enough money to get that much positive pub. Just amazing to this old vol fan.

Good write-up. I agree completely with your comments on Turnage, Slaughter, and Walker. Those dudes have been on the sidelines too long. Slaughter is very instinctive.

-Other than the missed PAT after the hold, special teams were great. Deflected a punt (not sure how Perry didn't block it),.

The punter changed the angle of the kick to get it off, which is why it went so far to the right and out of bounds. If he had straight-up kicked it, it 100% gets blocked.

Good summary. Was there and agree on pretty much everything. Hard to believe we still are not playing our best ball. Neyland would be very proud though. We check all his boxes.

Great post.

Reactions: Ratvol
Did Keyton play last night? I never heard his name and he didn't catch a pass--which was a bit strange and disappointing after the quality of his play
in recent weeks, Tillman or no Tillman.

Did Keyton play last night? I never heard his name and he didn't catch a pass--which was a bit strange and disappointing after the quality of his play
in recent weeks, Tillman or no Tillman.
He dropped one in the endzone, but otherwise nothing. We only ran 65 plays. Maybe the only thing Kensucky was successful at last night was shortening the game.

-The offense was extremely explosive against a very good defense, scoring 44 points (and could've scored more, but we went vanilla in the 4Q) . . . .

Nice summary -- I'll add that it seemed like Kentucky was trying to run out the clock in the 4th quarter to prevent us from breaking fiddy.

Reactions: Ratvol and CPA

-The offense was extremely explosive against a very good defense, scoring 44 points (and could've scored more, but we went vanilla in the 4Q),

Excellent analysis. We missed a FG, but blocked UK'd lone PAT attempt.

Before the game I predicted 48-17 Vols. If we hit those two kicks my good guy score prediction would have been dead on.

I'm very pleased with the defensive effort, especially Slaughter's lights out play.

Stoops was building a nice little program in KY. I think we may have blown up that program. The SEC East has been looking for that serious contender for battling Georgia for several years now. It's pretty obvious that Florida isn't that team and prior to this year, Tennessee hasn't shown much of a heartbeat. Kentucky saw itself as someone rising to that occasion. I think we just flushed that entire mindset right down the drain. I think most anyone with common sense will see that Kentucky will Almost Never compete for anything more than fourth place in the SEC East. I think Stoops better find a new program quickly. Kentucky is about to start circling the bowl again......

I think most anyone with common sense will see that Kentucky will Almost Never compete for anything more than fourth place in the SEC East. I think Stoops better find a new program quickly. Kentucky is about to start circling the bowl again......

I think we've finished higher than UT the last 4 out of 5 years. Say what you want about the instability of UT or scheduling or whatever, but I'm just saying...

I'll await my roasting peacefully

I think we've finished higher than UT the last 4 out of 5 years. Say what you want about the instability of UT or scheduling or whatever, but I'm just saying...

KY enjoyed a very down SEC East for 4-5 years other than last year even the media darling UGA wasn't very good (guess what they aren't all that this year either).

The world is correcting and the ship is being righted, you will go back to being a 4th with an occasional 3rd best in the SEC East, but hey its basketball season.... right?

KY enjoyed a very down SEC East for 4-5 years other than last year even the media darling UGA wasn't very good (guess what they aren't all that this year either).

The world is correcting and the ship is being righted, you will go back to being a 4th with an occasional 3rd best in the SEC East, but hey its basketball season.... right?
I’m rooting for UF to go through their own version of the hell we lived for 15 years and grow tired of Napier really fast and stay on the couching carousel permanently. I’m fine with UK living in the third spot if it supplants Florida.

Hollow stats. Your program has peaked. You won't break the top 25 at this seasons end. Kentucky fans are foaming at the mouth happy over a program that peaks at a 10-3 season. And don't be fooled. Those 10-3 seasons weren't due to some radical improvement in the KY football program. They were due to significant downgrades in the SEC East in general. UT, FL both were walking through the valley over the last decade. MIZZU came into the SEC and was a ball of fire but even they petered out. SC has been lost in the desert since Spurier left but they have a heart beat again. They beat you this year and have the same record as you right now. So they have already improved beyond KY with a first year coach. Kentucky didn't rise in the SEC like some phoenix. They floated to the top like a turd in a toilet. FL and Mizzu are still struggling. Mizzu will likely continue to struggle for a very long time. But FL will not struggle forever. They will get their house in order in the next few years. You're 5-3 now with at least 2 more losses in your future. That's right. Louisville will beat you this year. You're not even the best team in your state.

You have the 2nd longest tenured coach in the SEC. He's had over a decade to build his program. CLH has done more at UT in 1 year than Stoops has done in KY in a decade. Stoops is a decent coach but his success at KY has been smoke and mirrors. He better move on to another conference while his reputation is in tact.

Everyone said Kentucky needed to keep the plays for Tenn in the 60s... they did and still got blown out.

Hollow stats. Your program has peaked. You won't break the top 25 at this seasons end. Kentucky fans are foaming at the mouth happy over a program that peaks at a 10-3 season. And don't be fooled. Those 10-3 seasons weren't due to some radical improvement in the KY football program.

You remind me of the kind of kid who gets beat at home and then takes it out on the others kids at school lol

Tennessee fans own how bad we’ve been and how bad the string of coaches we got after Fulmer was until CJP. The roasting we can give you is that even with our wandering through the wilderness for a decade and a half we have a winning record against y’all over that time. Y’all snakebit against us even when we were very down.

I give Stoops a lot of credit for what he's done at Kentucky. It's not an easy place to win. He was perfectly within his rights to say what he said in his retort to Calipari...Kentucky football wasn't born on third base. He had to build at a tough place to build. But it can both be true that Stoops' accomplishments are impressive and that he did it during an abnormal time in which Tennessee and Florida were both down. Tennessee, in particular, was experiencing its worst run in program history from 2008-2021. Further, the fact that Kentucky only beat Tennessee 3x during that abysmal 14-year run (Stoops just twice) is telling of the two programs' relationship.

Lastly, it would be extremely myopic not to consider that Kentucky gets the easiest schedule in the SEC most years, while Tennessee has been getting the toughest. If Tennessee played Mississippi State and LSU last year while Kentucky played Alabama and Ole Miss, I think we all know that Tennessee finishes ahead of Kentucky. Y'all weren't going to beat either Alabama or Ole Miss. Schedule matters...Tennessee beating Kentucky most years and still finishing below Kentucky in the standings is reflective of that. "We finished ahead of you in the standings" doesn't always mean "we're better." Winning head-to-head on Kentucky's home field last year was the better indicator. In the two years that Stoops beat Tennessee (2017 and 2020), Kentucky was better.

So yes, it's fair to point out that Kentucky has been much better under Stoops. But it's also fair to point out that Tennessee has still owned Kentucky for the most part, even while Tennessee was at its worst and Kentucky was at its best, and, given that Tennessee is obviously back, we can expect that Kentucky will be a win for Tennessee going forward and will not be much of a threat to Tennessee when it comes to head-to-head meetings or contending for the East championship. That will be a Tennessee, Georgia, and perhaps (if Napier can get it going) Florida thing.

VN Store

Back