The 4th and 3 that UT failed to pick up at the end...

That was a terrible series. Run 3 straight plays and only got 7 yards. It will forever baffle me as to why Heupel didn’t go for the throat. We could have easily put that game away.
It will forever baffle you in a win against a team we have only beat twice in 18 years ? Lol talk about dramatic just enjoy the win.

I re-watched the game and noticed on the 4th and 3 with just over a minute left. If we pick that up, the game is over and UT wins by 17, covers the spread, and no one complains about Heupel being too conservative at the end. And we don't have to sweat out the onside kicks and heave towards the end zone at the end.

Bru McCoy was wide open for the 1st down about 5 or 6 yards deeper than Fant, but Hooker didn't see him. One of the few mistakes HH made all game. If he makes that throw, game, set, match. Take a knee, 17 point win.

Word is Hooker was hurting bad.

I re-watched the game and noticed on the 4th and 3 with just over a minute left. If we pick that up, the game is over and UT wins by 17, covers the spread, and no one complains about Heupel being too conservative at the end. And we don't have to sweat out the onside kicks and heave towards the end zone at the end.

Bru McCoy was wide open for the 1st down about 5 or 6 yards deeper than Fant, but Hooker didn't see him. One of the few mistakes HH made all game. If he makes that throw, game, set, match. Take a knee, 17 point win.
Or he over shoots him, and throws a pick six and we lose.. I’m glad it turned out the way that it did

It will forever baffle you in a win against a team we have only beat twice in 18 years ? Lol talk about dramatic just enjoy the win.

Where did I say I didn’t enjoy the win? I loved the win. Why is that when fans voice their concerns even in a win that that means they don’t enjoy it?

You have to call better plays at the end of the game than handoff into the line. At least run it outside. That option play would have been perfect with Hooker having the option to keep it.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
That was a terrible series. Run 3 straight plays and only got 7 yards. It will forever baffle me as to why Heupel didn’t go for the throat. We could have easily put that game away.

Much like me, Heupel thought that the enemy was the clock at that point. Not a fan of 3 runs and a semi - run, but I do understand the logic. Run clock, run clock, run clock. In hindsight, a bootleg and hitting some one wide open or letting HH run might have been a good fairly safe option.
Still, you don't want a turnover and you want to run clock. Against anyone other than our pass defense and on side kick team and it is the end of the game and it's a moot point.

HH had a guy in his face and two defenders near Bru so he probably didn’t have time or worse he throws a INT. Fant should have ran a 3 yard route.

If you’re gonna risk an int, 4th down is a good time to do it as long as you throw it such that there’s no chance of a run-back.

Because the clock is your friend in that scenario. I was honestly more upset we didn't kick a FG. I guess maybe he didn't want to change it getting blocked. But a FG and an ensuing kick off (assuming a squib) would have drained another 10-15 seconds off the clock, leaving UF with under 1 minute to score 14 points.

Reactions: ksgovols

I know we all understand this problem, but why can't we find a at least fairly big, average speed for big,un, running back. It's not like the only place to look is high school, just seems we are not looking very hard or working prospective backs very hard.

I haven’t rewatched the play, but was the issue Fant’s route (did he fail to run past the marker before his cut)?

Sorry, but this is Fant's first weakness second is when he does run a good route he doesn't catch the ball very often. I guess he must block pretty well. The problem is if you replace him things get worse on all counts.

they should have run the option play there... but Hooker was hurting so too risky

Last edited:
I know we all understand this problem, but why can't we find a at least fairly big, average speed for big,un, running back. It's not like the only place to look is high school, just seems we are not looking very hard or working prospective backs very hard.
I get the sentiment, Savannah, but keep in mind: unlike many teams (including past versions of us) who alternate between scat backs and big, bruising halfbacks depending on the situation, down and distance, this offense usually won't do that.

Our lightning pace means no substitutions, often for an entire series of plays. That means your personnel for 1st and 10 is often the same as for 3rd and 2.

Which means we need 1 Swiss Army knife. Not a Bowie knife for some things and a stiletto for others.

And that fella is normally going to be more average-sized for the position, with speed and quickness.

There is a cost to every advantage. This is the price we pay for extreme hurry-up offense.

Go Vols!

Not only that those plays were run between the tackles, no attempt to run wide out of the rpo. UF just stacked the box and made it easy for themselves.

Disagree. Hook was hurting to be sure, but you don't run a route short of the marker in that situation. That one is on Fant IMO. Hope he learns from it.

Some of y’all act like if it’s not a called pass the play isn’t designed to pick up more than 3 yards. We have to get to a point where we can punish teams with the run when they only have 6 guys in the box. Heup/Golesh gave the OL the opportunity to impose their will on that series and we didn’t get it done.
Wrong wrong wrong….This offense is not built around run run run AND trying to stand around to burn the clock down. This is still the SEC and they have good to great defenses. Hell even Vanderbilt would be hard to end it that way.

Reactions: dlturner00
Wrong wrong wrong….This offense is not built around run run run AND trying to stand around to burn the clock down. This is still the SEC and they have good to great defenses. Hell even Vanderbilt would be hard to end it that way.
Watch any great team and you’ll see them execute run plays well when the defense gives it to them. Heupel knows this.

Some of y’all act like if it’s not a called pass the play isn’t designed to pick up more than 3 yards. We have to get to a point where we can punish teams with the run when they only have 6 guys in the box. Heup/Golesh gave the OL the opportunity to impose their will on that series and we didn’t get it done.
You have a QB that’s top tier, Wide receivers that have been great, and an O line that couldn’t punish the likes of Akron and Ball StAte.
Trying to close out the game wasn’t a good time to be trying to get to that point of punishing the other team. That’s what practice and the weight room are for.

Fant not running to the sticks first didnt help doodley squat. Gotta have better play from our upperclassman, especially when the game is on the line. Pretty sad for a 9th year veteran iyam.
This. Fant not being aware of the first down is a huge mistake especially for a senior even more so for a tight end. Tight ends are made for that kinda conversion, big body, strong hands right in front of the qb.. the dude just had no awareness of where he was on the play. I agree our tight ends need to step up. Not complaining just saying I know they can do better.

Or kick the FG
Let me ask you and everyone else a serious question. You have the following options:
1)Kick a 51 yard FG.
2)Punt and trust our defense. 😂
3)Put the ball in the hands of your offense that hasn’t been stopped all game.

What do you think gives the highest probability of a win out of the above?

VN Store

Back