The 4th and 3 that UT failed to pick up at the end...

NighthawkVol

I re-watched the game and noticed on the 4th and 3 with just over a minute left. If we pick that up, the game is over and UT wins by 17, covers the spread, and no one complains about Heupel being too conservative at the end. And we don't have to sweat out the onside kicks and heave towards the end zone at the end.

Bru McCoy was wide open for the 1st down about 5 or 6 yards deeper than Fant, but Hooker didn't see him. One of the few mistakes HH made all game. If he makes that throw, game, set, match. Take a knee, 17 point win.

I re-watched the game and noticed on the 4th and 3 with just over a minute left. If we pick that up, the game is over and UT wins by 17, covers the spread, and no one complains about Heupel being too conservative at the end. And we don't have to sweat out the onside kicks and heave towards the end zone at the end.

Bru McCoy was wide open for the 1st down about 5 or 6 yards deeper than Fant, but Hooker didn't see him. One of the few mistakes HH made all game. If he makes that throw, game, set, match. Take a knee, 17 point win.

Yep, and even with the pass to Fant seems we got close. I know lots of people say kick the fg there, but that would’ve been a long try and I’d be interested to see the odds of making that verses picking up 3 yards.

I haven’t rewatched the play, but was the issue Fant’s route (did he fail to run past the marker before his cut)?

Reactions: Falcons02
I think you back it up in that possession further than the 4th down play as to questionable decisions.

5 straight runs sandwiched around that string of procedure penalties. FL gifted them a 1st down with an off sides then a delay of game and they still weren't able to finish off the game running a 4 min offense.

I would rather have the game decided by running my regular offense to finish it off than rely on the defense that couldn't get Richardson on the ground or cover their receivers.

Not kicking the FG I understand due to distance and potential for a block.

Win is a win though.

Some of y’all act like if it’s not a called pass the play isn’t designed to pick up more than 3 yards. We have to get to a point where we can punish teams with the run when they only have 6 guys in the box. Heup/Golesh gave the OL the opportunity to impose their will on that series and we didn’t get it done.

Last edited:
I didn't have a problem running the first 3 downs, but on 4th, HH has to throw it past the sticks. That's my only complaint from a near perfect game by him. The defense on the other hand showed no resistance. Prevent D until Florida scores..

It was the same play as the TD we scored on right before the half. I’m sure coaches told Hendon to not take any chances throwing over a defender or within a defenders reach. Bru was open on both plays.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
From the angle we saw on tv, it looked like Bru was wide open, and easy for us to say Hooker missed him. But there could have been a corner or a safety over there we didn’t see that was ready to jump it, so Hooker made the safe play and dumped it down..

One thing I trust about Hooker is his decision making.

#2 from UF seemed to be directly between Hooker and Bru. Maybe he could have floated it over him but floating a pass to the middle of the field seems ill advised. I also see no issue with Fant's route. The only good option was letting the play play out a little more.

Reactions: PlanetVolunteer
Some of y’all act like if it’s not a called pass the play isn’t designed to pick up more than 3 yards. We have to get to a point where we can punish teams with the run when they only have 6 guys in the box. Heup/Golesh gave the OL the opportunity to impose their will on that series and we didn’t get it done.

Was there only 6 in the box? I thought Florida was stacking the box when it was obvious we were running up the middle.

What I recall it came down to 4th and 3 because they got really conservative and ran it straight up the middle 3 times.

VN Store

Back