Tim Banks comments on defensive performance vs UF (2022)

I told my husband that I felt the coaching staff would watch film and be honest with themselves about the D performance and play calling. I realize now, I was naïve. Afraid his take on good D play this season is going to bite him in the backside with a team we should beat. :rolleyes:

**Edit** I do think the team surely continues to improve now that we're in SEC play. How much, is it enough.... I have no idea.

Some quotes from Tim Banks at the Knoxville Quarterback Club:

“The stats don’t always tell the story… Being able to make the plays that we needed to make to give us a chance to be successful, that’s what we’re always looking for.”

“The only thing I’m concerned about is, ‘Did we win or did we lose?’… Winning plays give us a chance to be successful.”

“When we break down the tape, there are some things we would liked to have done betters… But to sit here and say it was the D-line or say it was the DBs, it’s always a combination. I think we’ve played some good defense for most of the season.”

Despite mistakes, Tim Banks proud of Vols' late-game grit in Florida win

Fire him and Martinez......poach Gary Patterson from Texas.

I told my husband that I felt the coaching staff would watch film and be honest with themselves about the D performance and play calling. I realize now, I was naïve. Afraid his take on good D play this season is going to bite him in the backside with a team we should beat. :rolleyes:

**Edit** I do think the team surely continues to improve now that we're in SEC play. How much, is it enough.... I have no idea.
I don't think you were naïve, Sara. I think that's exactly what the staff are doing.

What a coach does at the facility, and what a coach says at the Kiwanis Club luncheon, those often have very little relationship to each other. A good coach isn't going to give away the team's secrets, and he's not going to throw his lads or fellow coaches under the bus, and he's not going to cut his own throat. That often leaves him saying things that are no reflection of what he's actually doing to make things better.

Trust. If you have faith in Josh Heupel (and I think we all agree he has earned it), and Josh has faith in Tim Banks (he clearly does), I think that alone merits us trusting the process they're in. We're going to brighter places, it just won't always be a smooth path getting there.

Go Vols!

This is dumb.

We ought not be firing anybody this year. At all.

He just showed his mindset. Do you think Saban or Kirby would have said the same thing?

No. We have to start demanding a perfection mindset attitude. Secondary played like dog shite and and has been for a while. At the very least Martinez has got to go.

He just showed his mindset. Do you think Saban or Kirby would have said the same thing?

No. We have to start demanding a perfection mindset attitude. Secondary played like dog shite and and has been for a while. At the very least Martinez has got to go.
He showed nothing. To believe something was revealed at that luncheon, that's naïve.

Some quotes from Tim Banks at the Knoxville Quarterback Club:

“The stats don’t always tell the story… Being able to make the plays that we needed to make to give us a chance to be successful, that’s what we’re always looking for.”

“The only thing I’m concerned about is, ‘Did we win or did we lose?’… Winning plays give us a chance to be successful.”

“When we break down the tape, there are some things we would liked to have done betters… But to sit here and say it was the D-line or say it was the DBs, it’s always a combination. I think we’ve played some good defense for most of the season.”

Despite mistakes, Tim Banks proud of Vols' late-game grit in Florida win
Don't think anyone is pointing a finger at the DL...or the LB. Yeah, I know it takes great play from each level, but this has to be one of the worst defensive backfields we've fielded at UT in a long, long time. What's worse is that I don't see a lot of hope on the current roster. Guess it's why we're loading up in this recruiting class. It's been said by others and I agree. We're getting killed on the back in no matter who we put back there so the idea that we might give something up by blitzing, while true, results in the same outcome. If we let any SEC qb sit back there, he's going to have his pick of open targets and it won't take a special talent to hit wide open guys like we're seeing. At least speed up his decision making process by bringing the heat. Maybe....just maybe....he'll make a mistake or 3 and we can get off the damned field defensively. I'm tired of a death by a thousand cuts. We go down...so be it, but I'd sure as hell go down swinging my best shot. Let's get aggressive with the pressure packages.

He showed nothing. To believe something was revealed at that luncheon, that's naïve.
The Legion of the Miserable are always looking for anything they can use to justify their constant angst over everything. Wanting to fire coaches after game FOUR of year TWO, especially after the disaster of a roster after Beldar, it idiotic. Last year they had zero depth. This year, they have more depth, but still new in this system. The secondary is the weakness, but that was known at the beginning of camp. This D has should potential, but finding a balance of enough pressure without exposing the weakness of the D is what they need to fix.

Hopefully it was just coachspeak and internally the staff (Banks) know they have to improve big time.

Yes we won and that’s the most important thing. Stats don’t tell the story??? Yes they absolutely do. The stats tell us that our defense is bad. Banks benefits from one of college footballs best offenses. The offense can usually offset the bad defense. But against really good teams, that won’t work.

I am not sold on Banks at all. I really hope he massively improves and quickly.

UT ranks 96 / 131 on Total D (YPG) but that doesn’t tell the story just as Mr. Banks said. We also rank 127 / 131 in T.O.P…. So it’s not hard to see how we get there especially when you look at strategy which to me has focused on stopping the run.

24 / 131 - Rush YPG Allowed - not bad considering how much they’re on the field.

23 / 131 - 3rd Down D efficiency!!

T15 / 131 - Red Zone D efficiency - not bad, huh?

34 / 131 - Scoring D (PPG Allowed) - That’s not bad considering the Pass YPG Allowed and TOP - these guys are on the field a lot. I’m guessing that solid Red Zone and 3rd Down D has much to do with this

So everyone is looking at pass defense I suppose. What I’ve been seeing is a stellar front 7 and a game plan to load boxes - especially against AR which left many DBs on an island. Yes, the DBs need improvement but I think Banks’ unit has actually been impressive in most other areas.

Last edited:
Who does that sound like? I really want to like Coach Banks. My problem is that he spent so much time under Butch Jones. His first DC job was 2007 at Central Michigan. Then he followed Butch to Cincinnati as co-DC until 2011. Banks left for Illinois a year before we botched it up with Butch. I hope Banks didn't take on too many of Jones' traits. His quotes just sound a little to familiar for me to be comfortable with. I hope my worries will turn out to be of no concern.
If he breaks out something about champions of life or stories involving bricks, then your fears will be realized. 😜

Reactions: swampfoxfan
When you're accustomed to turmoil, individuals seek out reasons to create turmoil, even when none is present.

I think we are just so use to things going off the rail after some early success and built up expectations that it’s easy to always be half expecting more of the same. As a result, consciously or not many are looking for evidence that backs this up so if big disappointments do come they aren’t so crushing. BVS is real.

I think you guys might be missing that this is coach speak. Heupel and his staff have shown time and time again that they will not publicly bash any players. As long as they are held privately accountable and taking steps to improve, idgaf what our coaches say to the press. Some of you want to be “right” about players being bad you are willing to torch the culture and everything Heup and his staff have accomplished in the past year and a half.
Remember guys, they haven’t had a full cycle of recruiting yet and we just lost half our program a year ago. I’m happy with the ones who stayed and how they are contributing to our success now.

Yes we won and that’s the most important thing. Stats don’t tell the story??? Yes they absolutely do. The stats tell us that our defense is bad. Banks benefits from one of college footballs best offenses. The offense can usually offset the bad defense. But against really good teams, that won’t work.

I am not sold on Banks at all. I really hope he massively improves and quickly.
Yeah i’m still going to support him but the fact is that even Heupel said the coverage needed to be tighter/better.

Coach Bank's statements are disturbing. If he thinks that performance was acceptable in any way then TN is in trouble. One off day for the offense will mean a butt kicking from the other team.

Reactions: LordVOLdemort
UT ranks 96 / 131 on Total D (YPG) but that doesn’t tell the story just as Mr. Banks said. We also rank 127 / 131 in T.O.P…. So it’s not hard to see how we get there especially when you look at strategy which to me has focused on stopping the run.

24 / 131 - Rush YPG Allowed - not bad considering how much they’re on the field.

23 / 131 - 3rd Down D efficiency!!

T15 / 131 - Red Zone D efficiency - not bad, huh?

34 / 131 - Scoring D (PPG Allowed) - That’s not bad considering the Pass YPG Allowed and TOP - these guys are on the field a lot. I’m guessing that solid Red Zone and 3rd Down D has much to do with this

So everyone is looking at pass defense I suppose. What I’ve been seeing is a stellar front 7 and a game plan to load boxes - especially against AR which left many DBs on an island. Yes, the DBs need improvement but I think Banks’ unit has actually been impressive in most other areas.
But you have played 4 not especially good teams and Pitt and Fla were close games. Lest see what happens with alabama, Kentucky, and Georgia. Then you'll know where your defense really is

We can judge them moving forward, if we see the same defense we saw against Florida again then one can question his logic and ability but if they come out and perform like they did against Pitt then it will calm everyone down, I can see trying something that looks good in theory and being afraid to change it during a game to an extent but if we start out against LSU playing this same style defense and they are chewing us up passing the ball then something is definitely wrong.

VN Store

Back