4th down defense

Stacmot

With our offense being as good as it is and our defense with the question marks they have, are we gonna start seeing more teams going for it on 4th down and not punting. I know it’s got to be aggravating to our defense holding them on 3rd down then still not getting off the field.

Reactions: FBtime
With our offense being as good as it is and our defense with the question marks they have, are we gonna start seeing more teams going for it on 4th down and not punting. I know it’s got to be aggravating to our defense holding them on 3rd down then still not getting off the field.
If head coaches think, just like FL did, that they have to score on every possession to "hold serve", then, yes, we will see more people go for it on 4th down...especially when there's some prior success.

I have not yet been impressed by Tim Banks.
I'm not so much believing it's Tim Banks's scheme/playcalling as much as it is Martinez's DB coaching. DL gets a lot more pressure than they did last year, but still has work to do. However, going back to last year, Martinez's secondary has been toasted consistently and been completely out of position multiple times. Hard to tell who deserves more blame at this point, esp. since we don't have a ton of great talent or depth in the secondary.

Reactions: SoddyAllVol
Water finds it's level. The score could have been 52-14 the way the Napier played it. I think USCjr, Vandy and Mizzou will play like Florida. I think UGA, Bama, UK, and LSU will play it more straight up.
correct...if team thinks they have the chops to stop our offense, then there will be less gambling...because the downside of giving us a short field can be dangerous.

Our 4th down (and 3rd down) defense is hot garbage. Realistically, every SEC team on our schedule probably thinks the game against UT is winnable after watching UF's blueprint.

That game should have never come down to being decided on the last play. Never. We should have put that game away up 11 by converting that 4th down. They should have never been able to drive the length of the field and score with no timeouts and 1:17 left.

But, Tennessee can't play a big game without stepping on our own nuts and doing everything to give the game away. Heupel's squad managed to hold on and I'm happy because I despise UF. Pruitt/Butch/Dooley teams would have lost the UF and Pitt games.

I'm glad we got a win, but I have no confidence we'll make any real noise this year. We're a few years away, defensively. If's a shame we won't have Hooker when the defense catches up because we would be really special.

I'm not so much believing it's Tim Banks's scheme/playcalling as much as it is Martinez's DB coaching. DL gets a lot more pressure than they did last year, but still has work to do. However, going back to last year, Martinez's secondary has been toasted consistently and been completely out of position multiple times. Hard to tell who deserves more blame at this point, esp. since we don't have a ton of great talent or depth in the secondary.
We are not at an SEC level talentwise in the secondary. We have to get pressure with four, or five max to hold up in the back end. That's the bottom line and it will be fixed only through recruiting.

Our 4th down (and 3rd down) defense is hot garbage. Realistically, every SEC team on our schedule probably thinks the game against UT is winnable after watching UF's blueprint.

That game should have never come down to being decided on the last play. Never. We should have put that game away up 11 by converting that 4th down. They should have never been able to drive the length of the field and score with no timeouts and 1:17 left.

But, Tennessee can't play a big game without stepping on our own nuts and doing everything to give the game away. Heupel's squad managed to hold on and I'm happy because I despise UF. Pruitt/Butch/Dooley teams would have lost the UF and Pitt games.

I'm glad we got a win, but I have no confidence we'll make any real noise this year. We're a few years away, defensively. If's a shame we won't have Hooker when the defense catches up because we would be really special.

I would almost bet my salary that Heupel doesn't play it safe again. If he just runs his offense instead of draining the clock the ending never happens. Someone else stated it as well in another thread. He brought his WR's in to block and UF didn't have to guess where the ball was going. Had they stayed wide and ran the normal offense I think we put another TD on the board.

Just a reminder- we won the Pittsburg game on the back of the defense. Florida played out of their minds and still lost.

Yep they took a bunch of chances and they worked out but percentage wise it doesn’t. They played like a team that thought they were not good enough to win straight up. Players will finally realize that and when the odds go against you and you get blown out players jump ship like they did last year for UF. What Napier did could have went really bad he was very fortunate putting it mildly. I’m sure he will roll the dice more because they will be underdogs 3 or 4 more times. He showed how he coaches he won’t last long in the SEC , IMO.

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol
Banks said at the Quarterback Club that he "expects" to go back to our normal "press man", aggressive, philosophy on defense. He said the staff thought it best to contain 15 and make him guess about coverages, etc. Banks also said he did a very good job of doing just that. I feel a bit better about our secondary moving forward if we don't have to play zone too much. We are a much better man coverage secondary.

I would almost bet my salary that Heupel doesn't play it safe again. If he just runs his offense instead of draining the clock the ending never happens. Someone else stated it as well in another thread. He brought his WR's in to block and UF didn't have to guess where the ball was going. Had they stayed wide and ran the normal offense I think we put another TD on the board.
His gut told him to not be throwing the ball around like that. No need to risk it with a lead. The run game should end games and when we are great again we'll use it to do just that. A late interception that led to a loss Saturday would have had all of the arm-chair qb's up in arms all bye week. I'm glad he did what he did, which was win baby!

I thought they played all right.Richardson threw some dimes that he hadn't done all year,Of course he played his best game against us.We just need to make sure on 4th and 4 we run a 5 yard pass play not 3.Other than that we win by 11.

Reactions: TJSVOLS
His gut told him to not be throwing the ball around like that. No need to risk it with a lead. The run game should end games and when we are great again we'll use it to do just that. A late interception that led to a loss Saturday would have had all of the arm-chair qb's up in arms all bye week. I'm glad he did what he did, which was win baby!

I understand what he did and why. I will say if you leave your WR's wide you force them to leave the DB's and possibly the safety's out of the box. If we were running on just their front 7 we likely put the game away there as well. Then again we still left points on the field prior to that.

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol

VN Store

Back