4th down defense

Three of our drives ended in no points. Potential of 21 right there. To not be forced to punt without our best offensive player was remarkable and a sign of things to come.. We are going to be good. Real good.

Reactions: rocketskates
Florida had a lot of success because of their offensive line. Napier didn’t inherit much in Florida but one thing that he did get on the house was the line. Even the announcers stated it was Florida’s strong point. We weren’t able to get enough push on the line in the passing game which gave Richardson too much time.

DBs can only lock down for so long. The bad news is that LSU also has a mobile QB. The good news is that their line isn’t as good as Florida’s. Hopefully Banks dials up some good blitz packages.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Three of our drives ended in no points. Potential of 21 right there. To not be forced to punt without our best offensive player was remarkable and a sign of things to come.. We are going to be good. Real good.

I agree. We made some crucial errors and still won. In the past those would’ve cost us the game. If we don’t fumble on two of the drives we win the game handily. We shot ourselves in the foot and our offense still delivered.

Just a reminder- we won the Pittsburg game on the back of the defense. Florida played out of their minds and still lost.
Yep and had they missed 2 of those 4th downs and we had not quit playing offense we would have beat them by 30+. If we could get our secondary fixed and stop the other team on 4th down we would be a really good football team.

I'm not so much believing it's Tim Banks's scheme/playcalling as much as it is Martinez's DB coaching. DL gets a lot more pressure than they did last year, but still has work to do. However, going back to last year, Martinez's secondary has been toasted consistently and been completely out of position multiple times. Hard to tell who deserves more blame at this point, esp. since we don't have a ton of great talent or depth in the secondary.

GA didn’t care when he left them as their DB coach. Most UGA fans were happy he left. I’ve never been impressed with Martinez but I’m not a coach so…. Just a fan.

I'm not so much believing it's Tim Banks's scheme/playcalling as much as it is Martinez's DB coaching. DL gets a lot more pressure than they did last year, but still has work to do. However, going back to last year, Martinez's secondary has been toasted consistently and been completely out of position multiple times. Hard to tell who deserves more blame at this point, esp. since we don't have a ton of great talent or depth in the secondary.
You may be correct but the defense is Tim Banks' responsibility, period. If the problem is Martinez and/or players, Banks is paid to fix it. He has had two years now to fix it and very little progress has been made. Huepel is not a defensive minded coach which make Banks even more critical. Decisions and changes will have to be made if we want to reach the elite level. Unless drastic improvement is made in the next few weeks, somebody needs to be held responsible.

After two years, whatever the problem is, this defense is not performing, period.

With our offense being as good as it is and our defense with the question marks they have, are we gonna start seeing more teams going for it on 4th down and not punting. I know it’s got to be aggravating to our defense holding them on 3rd down then still not getting off the field.
Florida kind of had to. A lot of teams will rely more on their defense to stop us instead of going on fourth down on their side of the field.

Florida had a lot of success because of their offensive line. Napier didn’t inherit much in Florida but one thing that he did get on the house was the line. Even the announcers stated it was Florida’s strong point. We weren’t able to get enough push on the line in the passing game which gave Richardson too much time.

DBs can only lock down for so long. The bad news is that LSU also has a mobile QB. The good news is that their line isn’t as good as Florida’s. Hopefully Banks dials up some good blitz packages.
Their Oline held quite a bit. Holding happens every game. Holding as bad as it was in some plays usually gets called. Crew was completely inept.

Reactions: rocketskates
4th Down for what?

1/6 is not impressive. Florida was smart enough to make the plan, but backed off by trying to kick a field goal and punting is down to the 1.

I expect several teams will continue the trend. I don’t expect they will do much better than Florida. 5/6 is impressive. They just couldn’t seal the deal.

Our defense shows spunk. Make the play or lose the game. 2/2 that’s perfect.

We’re also 2/2 at stopping 2 pt conversation.

Stuff the run and sack the QB forcing them to go for it on 4th down early. I think our offense feeds off the respect it shows for them.

4th down for what!

Coach 30 on YouTube does satire on bad defenses, usually the losing team. He just released one that covers both Fla and Tn. Brutal but hilarious and at least we won!

Every situation is different...team strengths and weakness, weather factors, specific players' injuries, etc, etc..

but FWIW here's more than you ever want to know about 4th down statistics based on NFL games

4th down research

VN Store

Back