Zakai Ziegler won’t be the starting PG

We're in trouble if Key is starting at PG. SV having to take back over PG responsibilities takes away his best asset as an off-ball guard.

Won't be surprised if Edwards ends up getting the nod.

What’s the difference in Zeigler coming off the bench and playing 32mpg at PG or starting the game and playing 32mpg at PG? Either way 8mpg are going to someone else at PG…

What’s the difference in Zeigler coming off the bench and playing 32mpg at PG or starting the game and playing 32mpg at PG? Either way 8mpg are going to someone else at PG…

The article and how Barnes is speaking seems to indicate Zakai is gonna play a lot off ball as well

Yeah, it's not like the starting five sign a contract. Barnes knows how to distribute the minutes and plenty of hell as needed. Go Vols!

Reactions: The Dog
The article and how Barnes is speaking seems to indicate Zakai is gonna play a lot off ball as well
Where did you get that impression? I didn't read it and walk away with that same impression. Not saying he won't eventually do some of that, but I didn't see any explicit statements stating that. Maybe I missed it.

FWIW, I think a lot of the headlines around this idea are being sensationalized for clicks and reads by the sites releasing it. Some editorial liberty being taken with the statement, it seems.

It's being sold in some headlines as though Tennessee is now somehow in a lurch because ZZ has "made the call" that he doesn't want to start, which seems to be overstated. Rick Barnes is not going to roll Edwards or Key out there to start if it is detrimental to his team, and ZZ is not going to refuse to start, or pout, because he's hellbent on coming off the bench.

FWIW, I think a lot of the headlines around this idea are being sensationalized for clicks and reads by the sites releasing it. Some editorial liberty being taken with the statement, it seems.

It's being sold in some headlines as though Tennessee is now somehow in a lurch because ZZ has "made the call" that he doesn't want to start, which seems to be overstated. Rick Barnes is not going to roll Edwards or Key out there to start if it is detrimental to his team, and ZZ is not going to refuse to start, or pout, because he's hellbent on coming off the bench.
If there’s one thing I’ve learned over the years, our beat writers have very little real insight on the pulse of the basketball team, ESPECIALLY in the preseason when they’re focused on football. This is 100% them just taking this quote, running with it, and making a story out of, likely, nothing.

Reactions: cncchris33
I see nothing in that article suggesting Zeigler is gonna play a lot off the ball?

Santi (Vescovi) obviously has played some there,” Barnes said. “But with Tyreke Keyand BJ Edwards, those guys got a lot of reps at the point this year. Because what we like to do is have as many guys that we can that can rebound and go with (the ball).

“I think it will be done by committee,” Barnes said. “It’s normally (done like that). It was like that a year ago and I think it will be pretty much the same way now.”

Santi (Vescovi) obviously has played some there,” Barnes said. “But with Tyreke Keyand BJ Edwards, those guys got a lot of reps at the point this year. Because what we like to do is have as many guys that we can that can rebound and go with (the ball).

“I think it will be done by committee,” Barnes said. “It’s normally (done like that). It was like that a year ago and I think it will be pretty much the same way now.”
Still not reading that how you read it…I read it to say they repped other guys (along with Zeigler) at PG because they want to have options and that much like last year they want multiple guys on the court that can take it and go…even if they aren’t the PG. We saw Santi do that alot from the 2 & 3 spot last year, I read that to mean that they want similar, not that Zeigler will be off the ball.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
Still not reading that how you read it…I read it to say they repped other guys (along with Zeigler) at PG because they want to have options and that much like last year they want multiple guys on the court that can take it and go…even if they aren’t the PG. We saw Santi do that alot from the 2 & 3 spot last year, I read that to mean that they want similar, not that Zeigler will be off the ball.
Same. I'm not seeing what he he seems to be inferring.

Reactions: jp1
What I took from the article was that Key was willing to be the one to step up and play some point when needed and that people were going to be surprised with his versatility.

For first time in Barnes' tenure, I don't really want to think about bball right now. Usually, about this time, we're dreaming of another trip to the Music City Bowl and how can't wait until start of bball season.

I think we'll be fine with Edwards running the show. He's much better than people think.

I will admit I was thinking that ZZ would jump on being the starting PG since that would appear to be his best shot at the next level. Guess that is why I am way to familiar with this humility thing. I am not going to raise a flag till Coach does.

I guess you and I have a different opinion on what “by committee” means.

I’m not saying ZZ is going to play off ball all the time but seems to indicate a 50/50 split

I’m not saying ZZ is going to play off ball all the time but seems to indicate a 50/50 split
That was not at all what I took from those quotes. The "multiple players capable at PG" refers to allowing multiple players the freedom (as they prove capable) of grabbing a rebound and instantly initiating our transition. Not needing to always get the ball into the hands of only one certain player every time we gain possession.

Reactions: walkenvol

I took “by committee” to mean handle the other PG minutes, not “all the PG minutes”.

VN Store

Back