Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
When he was hired I was, to be honest, underwhelmed. As I got to know him, watched what he did and how he did it. Midwest through last year I was convinced we had backed our way into the right hire...... The right guy at the right time.

I only day backed into the hour because it was reported we were after booger names, I don't think any of those guys could have had us where we are today so quickly. Heupel has earned our trust and faith.

Say what?

Bye week came at a perfect time. No fear of a disappointing loss after an emotional victory
and we get to soak this in for two weeks

Much needed, very deserved

we were the toast of CFB for the first time in a very long time

Today felt like a birthday watching the game again and consuming as much as I could about the game and the weekend from every single source of media. Cannot stop smiling

Dont get it twisted tho. I loved the iceman and spent alot of time defending him on this site back in the day. Just think hooker that guy!
I like Clausen as well, but it’s revisionist history to act like everyone was a fan and he did have some frustrating games.

He made some good plays, but 2001 UT beat the Gators because the defense beat the hell outta grossman and Travis Stephens was unreal.

The ONLY reason I'd still have Dobbs/Casey ahead of Hendo is because I wanna see how this season plays out.

If Hendo keeps doing what he's doing and ends up in the Heisman ceremony then I think he can cement himself firmly in the top 3. He's already surpassed Shuler in every major category, he could surpass Dobbs in career TDs by the end of this season too would need about 3k more passing yards to pass him there though.

But if Hendo's 2 seasons end up putting him in the top 5 in most career numbers stats...then yeah I think he's on the Rocky Top Rushmore for QBs here.
Game was played different back when Shuler was here. Shuler was runner up Heisman and Top 3 draft pick. Some of you guys are really young or just don’t remember Shuler. No way Clausen was better than Shuler.

When he was hired I was, to be honest, underwhelmed. As I got to know him, watched what he did and how he did it. Midwest through last year I was convinced we had backed our way into the right hire...... The right guy at the right time.

I only day backed into the hour because it was reported we were after booger names, I don't think any of those guys could have had us where we are today so quickly. Heupel has earned our trust and faith.
Booger?Screenshot_20220926-001433_DuckDuckGo.jpgor
Screenshot_20220926-001526_DuckDuckGo.jpg

If HH and Heupel had the raw talent and defense of any of those Fulmer teams, he'd win 2-4 national titles.

Those QBs had the luxuries of top recruiting classes and defenses. Jmo but quite a few Fulmer QBs were overrated because their defenses were so elite. Statistically, not that close to HH at all. The ones mentioned were still quite good, not knocking them. But when people mention Andy Kelly because the teams won a bunch of games I just smh.
I agree with this take, but Shuler is an exception.

If we could somehow fix our secondary, I think we could beat any team we face. But as is, our secondary will cost us a game at some point.
Listening to Josh pate and he has a good point about teams and their strengths and weaknesses... Everyone has them, and good teams use strengths to make up for our mask weaknesses. And that week to week, some weaknesses have different values.

So I don't know that we have to fix the secondary, or that it's even possible. And against most of the teams we're gonna play, it may not matter that much is we score 35+/game.

And who knows, maybe we find ourselves in a game against Bama or LSU or Kentucky where our defense only had to make a handful of plays to stay in the game and have a chance to win it?

Georgia... That's a tall order imo. But if the offense operates at a high level... We can play.

I know this... I'm not scared of anyone left.

Listening to Josh pate and he has a good point about teams and their strengths and weaknesses... Everyone has them, and good teams use strengths to make up for our mask weaknesses. And that week to week, some weaknesses have different values.

So I don't know that we have to fix the secondary, or that it's even possible. And against most of the teams we're gonna play, it may not matter that much is we score 35+/game.

And who knows, maybe we find ourselves in a game against Bama or LSU or Kentucky where our defense only had to make a handful of plays to stay in the game and have a chance to win it?

Georgia... That's a tall order imo. But if the offense operates at a high level... We can play.

I know this... I'm not scared of anyone left.

And on the other end I guarantee you teams are scared of us. Dangerous team Heupel’s fielding right now. Enough can’t be said for where he has the program in short order.

Might be a good week for us to sit out and watch the carnage. I also like that LSU has to go to Auburn to play a coach/team in must-win stakes. Hope it's a 12-round bout.

View attachment 494531
View attachment 494532
View attachment 494533
View attachment 494534
View attachment 494535
View attachment 494536

Feels like one of those weekends with a lot of crazy potential. I'm fine to sit back and watch other teams entertain.
Super excited to get to chill and actually care about other games again. Been way to long

There's a reason that the coaches have 6 DB's in this class and are still pursuing more. They know what NFL talent looks like, and it's just not there in the DB room yet. The soft zone against the gators was to keep AR from beating us with his legs and provide support in the run game. The strategy was to force them to have make long drives to score with AR passing. From what you had seen from previous games is that he would make a couple of costly throws. That didn't happen. He played the game of his life. If you play that game 10 times, he plays like that once. We got that one game yesterday, and we still won. Was it really a surprise that a Florida QB would play the best game of their career against us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back