Geoff Collins out at Georgia Tech ...

JOEY’S ALL VOL !!!

Calling it like I see it
The AJC reporting that Collins is out as Head Football Coach and the AD Stansbury is likely gone as well. A lot of jobs are going to be open this off season.

Reactions: Plecoptera
The AJC reporting that Collins is out as Head Football Coach and the AD Stansbury is likely gone as well. A lot of jobs are going to be open this off season.
I think Georgia Tech will as soon as they get an AD interview Deion Sanders,Jamie Chadwell and Tennessee OC Alex Golesh

GT is where coaches' careers go to die.
huh? Paul Johnson coached there for 11 years, won the ACC and went to 2 Orange bowls winning 1 and then retired on his terms. No doubt the academics make it a tough job but competing in the ACC and sitting in the heart of the best college football recruiting, no reason they shouldn't win 8 games regularly with a special season every so often.

I think he’s a goofball, and his whole branding the ATL, the 404, was very Butch cringe worthy, but he had a huge task in front of him switching from Paul Johnson’s guys to get his guys. Throw in a covid season and that’s pretty tough.

I think he’s a goofball, and his whole branding the ATL, the 404, was very Butch cringe worthy, but he had a huge task in front of him switching from Paul Johnson’s guys to get his guys. Throw in a covid season and that’s pretty tough.
I give Collins credit for realizing that he had to change the culture there and making an effort to do so, but he evidently doesn't know how to do it outside of superficial stuff like slogans. As you said, very Butch-esque.

Their heyday ended in the 1960s when there were 16 NFL teams & football players went to college for an education.

And yet they have a national championship in the early 90s

Some of those late 90s teams with O'Leary as coach and Friedgen OC were lethal. You slept on those teams at your own peril. Go to the restroom and come back and the Jackets had scored 21 while you are away. ACC football was so much better in general back then also. FSU was in their heydey. GT, Clemson, and NC State all could throw down. NC had some absolutely crushing defense back then also. Even Virginia had a decent team now and then

Reactions: Buzzbait
They did win a NC in 1991 with O’Leary

Edit: Sorry - a little late on the draw. See @stolitonic post.

Bobby Ross was the HC when the won the NC. O'Leary was the DC. Ross bolted for the NFL immediately after winning the NC.

GT hired Bill Lewis after Ross bolted. The man who guaranteed that my undergraduate football years were pathetic. I lived literally across the street from the stadium. And we succcccckkkkkeeeeed. O'Leary came in my last year there and it took him a few years to get rolling

Reactions: Jeff Clark

I agree. It was going to be a difficult job for anyone to transition away from Paul Johnson's system and it was never going to happen in less than 3 seasons.

But at the same time, Collins has only gotten worse over time. I do think they should've waited to see how he did in ACC play, but I doubt the result would be any different. GT looks bad.

Dan Mullen would be a homerun hire for Georgia Tech like when they hired Bobby Ross in 1987.
Mullen is too lazy a recruiter. Yes he would be in the Atlanta talent hotbed. Directly between Saban and Smart, probably the two most ruthless recruiters in the country. It would be ugly in all likelihood.

Deion would make a splash. But not sure he is really a good enough coach. He is doing well at JSU, but that could be because he is out-talenting his competition.

Mullen is too lazy a recruiter. Yes he would be in the Atlanta talent hotbed. Directly between Saban and Smart, probably the two most ruthless recruiters in the country. It would be ugly in all likelihood.

Deion would make a splash. But not sure he is really a good enough coach. He is doing well at JSU, but that could be because he is out-talenting his competition.
Deion has done a great job taking advantage of the transfer rules as they are now. I think Deion would be a gamble but sometimes when you're at your most desperate you have to gamble.

He's a lazy recruiter but that style worked at Miss St. The ACC Coastal is a wee bit easier than the SEC West.

Mullen I don't think would ever work out at a big time school because he doesn't do the recruiting necessary. You have to recruit top talent and coach them up to win at those places. GT is not one of those places and, like at Miss St, they'd love him if he won 7 games a year and went to a bowl.

I do think GT is capable of being a decent program, despite the academic restrictions. Their biggest impediment to being that though is that a lot of people associated with the university (alums, boosters, admin, etc.) just don't really care.

He's a lazy recruiter but that style worked at Miss St. The ACC Coastal is a wee bit easier than the SEC West.

Mullen I don't think would ever work out at a big time school because he doesn't do the recruiting necessary. You have to recruit top talent and coach them up to win at those places. GT is not one of those places and, like at Miss St, they'd love him if he won 7 games a year and went to a bowl.

I do think GT is capable of being a decent program, despite the academic restrictions. Their biggest impediment to being that though is that a lot of people associated with the university (alums, boosters, admin, etc.) just don't really care.
Most people around GT are satisfied with just having a winning record and going to a bowl game somewhere. I think that's the best you can pretty much do at Georgia Tech.

If Mullen took the GT job, GT automatically has the best play caller in the league. They could make a lot of noise. He’s proven he can put lots of guys in the League, even non-Blue Chip prospects. That could be a good fit.

If Mullen took the GT job, GT automatically has the best play caller in the league. They could make a lot of noise. He’s proven he can put lots of guys in the League, even non-Blue Chip prospects. That could be a good fit.
Mullen would like it more too. His personality and demeanor just aren't great for a big time, microscope job. If he's left alone to dial up plays, he's a pretty good coach, which is why I suspect he wanted to ultimately jump to the NFL.

Dan Mullen would be a homerun hire for Georgia Tech like when they hired Bobby Ross in 1987.
Yep. A lot of speculation he's headed to ASU, but I think the NCAA cloud makes GT a better job. Plus Mullen can win with lesser talent as he did in Starkville.

VN Store

Back