Any updates on Tillman?

If Tillman is a no-go, I've seen a lot of you saying that Keyton and Merrill will need to step up. While all that is 100% true, I think the guys that really need to step up are Fant and Warren. I think we'll some more TE usage in this game if Tillman isn't able to go and Ventrell Miller is out for UF.

A lot of people may be forgetting UF will not have their best Defensive player available.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
UT played a C- game against Pitt, who probably played the best they could have. What is largely being discounted, especially in here for some reason, is that UT can and should dictate this game. They are year two into a unique system that puts a ton of pressure on opposing teams. If UT can bring a B-level game and minimize mistakes there is nothing that Florida has showed that they can bring to the table to match it.

Of course these are young football players and anything can happen week-to-week, but as fans speaking about probabilities, this is the reality of this particular season.

Fair take.

Reactions: OHvol40
A lot of people may be forgetting UF will not have their best Defensive player available.

And that’s a huge deal. Florida’s run defense with Ventrell Miller vs their run defense without Miller, is vastly different.

And that’s a huge deal. Florida’s run defense with Ventrell Miller vs their run defense without Miller, is vastly different.

What is his injury? If UF is without their best defender and we are missing our best playmaker, then they kind of cancel each other out.

Reactions: Jaws
It will come down to our receivers, whomever they are, catching the easy ones. Pitt kept it close because we dropped a lot of easy ones. Hyatt held himself back last year because he was dropping easy ones. We can usually get people open and Hyatt is great at getting himself open. This year he's doing that and making catches. We have to have that out of him this time. Especially if Tillman is out, which looks almost certain.

It will come down to our receivers, whomever they are, catching the easy ones. Pitt kept it close because we dropped a lot of easy ones. Hyatt held himself back last year because he was dropping easy ones. We can usually get people open and Hyatt is great at getting himself open. This year he's doing that and making catches. We have to have that out of him this time. Especially if Tillman is out, which looks almost certain.

Agreed
There was a laundry list of mishaps that kept that game closer than it should have been
Drops
Missed tackles that resulted in TDs
Too many penalties
Turnovers
And special teams blunders
Looking back if we correct even a couple of those then we win going away. We must play a better disciplined game Saturday.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
we are the better team, with or without Tillman. Obviously I would love to have the guy, he is a monster. Let's not kid ourselves though the rest of the WR group is extremely talented and can put up points against UF.

What is his injury? If UF is without their best defender and we are missing our best playmaker, then they kind of cancel each other out.

“Lower extremity.” I’ve heard ankle, I’ve also heard stress fracture in foot. He missed last week’s game vs USF, which was a large part of the reason Florida couldn’t stop anyone. Napier said in his press conference yesterday that he “ran around a little bit at practice” and he’s “questionable.” He said it’s a “subjective” injury meaning it’s a pain tolerance thing (suggests ankle).

Pitt thought they could man him up and it cost them the game
True but that may have been the case with someone other than Tillman on the field. For all the claims he's slow, Keyton ran behind Akron's secondary. Merrill seems to have a knack for being wide open. Calloway looked good across the middle. Size is an issue but White made a very nice play on the ball. Holiday has looked good.

And... if you really, really, really don't think you can throw to one of those guys... the Vols have two experienced, athletic TE's who have shown they can catch the ball and attack the middle of the field.

I just don't think UT will be that much easier to stop without Tillman as they are with him.

True but that may have been the case with someone other than Tillman on the field. For all the claims he's slow, Keyton ran behind Akron's secondary. Merrill seems to have a knack for being wide open. Calloway looked good across the middle. Size is an issue but White made a very nice play on the ball. Holiday has looked good.

And... if you really, really, really don't think you can throw to one of those guys... the Vols have two experienced, athletic TE's who have shown they can catch the ball and attack the middle of the field.

I just don't think UT will be that much easier to stop without Tillman as they are with him.
I think you have been spot on throughout this entire thread. Tillman is certainly a loss, but there are several other weapons that can be utilized within this offense.

Reactions: sjt18
I think you have been spot on throughout this entire thread. Tillman is certainly a loss, but there are several other weapons that can be utilized within this offense.

Of course there are other weapons. Besides qb the drop off from Tillman to the backup is the largest on the team.

Elaborate. Tillman to keyton. A top 5 wr in next yrs draft to a below average d1 wr
Keyton is not a below average reciever. And quarterback being the biggest drop is insane. Milton is the best backup quarterback in the country. We also have squirrel white Walker merril, Jimmy Calloway in the second half, and bru and Jalin. Me personally I think the biggest drop is offensive line. The gap is insane in my eyes

Reactions: Shocker0
Heupel said during his presser today he is hopeful they all play Saturday. So where are you getting that Tillman has been ruled out?
Thats just gamesmanship among head coaches. Heupel isnt going to give anything away to Napier and vice versa. Tillman will not play on Saturday. They want to rest him through the bye week so he'll be ready for LSU. We'll need him a hell of a lot worse for that game than we will for this one.

He's questionable. Which means we should expect him to play.
Napier is bluffing. Everyone close to the Florida program is saying that he is out this week and maybe the next. Unless he made the most miraculous recovery I have ever seen

Keyton is not a below average reciever. And quarterback being the biggest drop is insane. Milton is the best backup quarterback in the country. We also have squirrel white Walker merril, Jimmy Calloway in the second half, and bru and Jalin. Me personally I think the biggest drop is offensive line. The gap is insane in my eyes

I could definitely see an arguement for RT

Of course there are other weapons. Besides qb the drop off from Tillman to the backup is the largest on the team.
That's an opinion. But that's all it is. An opinion.

I'm going to tell my age. As a young guy I started college at NCSU... the same year they won the NC in basketball under Valvano. State's best player was Derrick Whittenburg. He broke his foot mid-season. State had to regroup with a squad that really didn't have any other dependable scorers or stars. But they played and grew and ended the regular season with 10 losses and around 20 wins. They had to win the ACC tourney to get into the NCAA's. They did against UNC and other powerhouses. They then played from a mid-level seed to the championship game.

A HUGE part of their success was that guys picked up the slack from Whittenburg when he went out. No one "replaced" him... just a bunch of guys stepped up together.

UT has MORE than enough talent for that to happen at receiver.

Also Milton having no pressure vs ball state and Akron backups is not the same as starting vs an actual team. If Milton had to actually start I would have the same feeling when butch started Peterman.

We are just going to have to trust those other guys and none of them have looked bad at all.

I think the key is Hookers ability to run. We have to have a gameplan to use him as much as we need to in the run game.

USF's QB ran for 102 after only 8 against Howard and 28 against BYU.

With our ability to threaten them throwing the ball and their inability to stop the run it would be really dumb if we don't try and get Hooker to run all over them.

Napier is bluffing. Everyone close to the Florida program is saying that he is out this week and maybe the next. Unless he made the most miraculous recovery I have ever seen

maybe.

VN Store

Back