‘23 TN LB Arion Carter (Tennessee)

This kid just got bumped from 5.4 to 5.8 on Rivals…they did that two weeks after their recent update…they are notorious for only changing ratings during these updates and not in between…them making such a drastic bump in between updates is just another sign of how much this kid is blowing up…he’s a helluva prospect at ILB and I hope we get him

This kid just got bumped from 5.4 to 5.8 on Rivals…they did that two weeks after their recent update…they are notorious for only changing ratings during these updates and not in between…them making such a drastic bump in between updates is just another sign of how much this kid is blowing up…he’s a helluva prospect at ILB and I hope we get him

Once again, these sites are reactive, not proactive. They know nothing about player evaluation.

Once again, these sites are reactive, not proactive. They know nothing about player evaluation.

But they do offer a platform to follow recruiting in a way we did not have before.
Also the rankings systems motivate some players to get better.

There are simply too many recruits for them to cover these days. Too many good players.

In reality there are probably over 1,000 FOUR stars every year and growing.

But they do offer a platform to follow recruiting in a way we did not have before.
Also the rankings systems motivate some players to get better.

There are simply too many recruits for them to cover these days. Too many good players.

In reality there are probably over 1,000 FOUR stars every year and growing.

I agree with all of that. I just don’t get too worked up about recruit ratings because I think far more highly of a coach’s evaluation than a nerd’s “rating.”

I am in Rutherford County and speak regularly with coaches and refs. Spoke to a couple of them and asked what is happening here. They do not know. He was at Smyrna last season so it is not like he just moved here. He was a good player last season but not someone that everyone talked about. Still trying to see what happened over the course of the first month of this season that resulted in the rapid increase in elite-level interest.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
I am in Rutherford County and speak regularly with coaches and refs. Spoke to a couple of them and asked what is happening here. They do not know. He was at Smyrna last season so it is not like he just moved here. He was a good player last season but not someone that everyone talked about. Still trying to see what happened over the course of the first month of this season that resulted in the rapid increase in elite-level interest.
It’s my understanding he had previously only ever sent tape of him at running back, but he sent out tape of him at backer this year, and I guess it’s really good.

The answers you seek are here

so he initially put himself out there as a rb and wasn't that highly recruited. his fall tape of him at linebacker caused him to blow up. he just kills kids.

so he initially put himself out there as a rb and wasn't that highly recruited. his fall tape of him at linebacker caused him to blow up. he just kills kids.

we'll see but i dont think being two days late to offer is going to be a major swing here. now beating bama straight up for a kid they want is another story.

he's on the same 7-7 team as conyer and herring and there's some nice tenn support around him so we should be in it.
AP just said the exact same this morning. Must be impressive tape.

If we can win Saturday and close on this guy, Hobbs, Lang, Ray, Davis/Parker, and one of our remaining corner targets I’ll get Heupel’s face tattooed on my cheek like Gucci Mane has the ice cream cone

If we don’t close with that are you gonna complain about it?

That tape is impressive, great instinct and vision, takes the right angle and works through traffic. If like to see him take on more blocks but he can't help no one is in front of him

Reactions: Smokey19rt
So they are completely wrong about guys like Nico and Echols?

Didn’t say that. I’m saying they didn’t get there through their own expert evaluation.

Let’s say Nico was the EXACT same QB, but major colleges/coaches misevaluate him and didn’t offer or pursue as heavily. They decide he’s way too skinny. So his best offer is Fresno State. You think these sites would rate him a 5*? Nope. He’d be a 3*. Same QB.

In fact, I just described Tyler Bray going into his senior year. Bray eventually got bumped to 4* late because Tennessee and Kiffin pursued. Sites respond to what coaches do. They have very little ability to evaluate.

Last edited:
What changed during the past week? The biggest change came when Carter was moved back to playing defense again, something he hadn't done since his sophomore season. After picking up a modest list of offers as a running back, he has turned heads with his play at linebacker. He has a team-leading 29 tackles, three sacks, two pass deflections and two caused fumbles in just four games.

...Carter, who wants to study to be an orthopedic surgeon, said academics still played a big part in his decision. He said Michigan and Tennessee have good medical programs and that USC "was one of the best in the county, as far as that goes." "You're a student before you're an athlete," said Carter, who also has offers from the Ivy League. "But it will be a mixture of academics and my ability to go in and make an impact while I'm there."
https://www.tennessean.com/story/sp...on-carter-blowing-up-recruitment/69510350007/

Four years ago, Smyrna senior Arion Carter made quite an impression on athletic trainer Everett Boutwell when he approached him to discuss a potential injury. "I told him I had a torn labrum ... in my hip," Carter said. Boutwell quickly corrected him that the labrum was located in the shoulder. But it didn't take long to figure out Carter knew what he was talking about. There is a labrum in the hip. Boutwell knew that, but was stunned that Carter did. "It's between the hip and the muscle," Carter said, of the lesser-known labrum. "I was able to locate it. I researched it and was able to figure it out."

"Arion has always been an interested kid," Boutwell said. "You have to explain things to him because he's interested. He wants to know the 'why.' "
https://www.tennessean.com/story/sp...ouchdowns-tn-high-school-football/7975207001/

VN Store

Back