‘23 AL RB Jeremiah Cobb (Auburn commit)

Yeah, I just think the hiring of a new AD changes that. New leadership is designed to provide stability and to create unity. At a place like Auburn, the new AD's tenure will be defined by the (assumed) upcoming football hire. That coach will be given every opportunity and resource to succeed, which is what, to me, differentiates Harsin's tenure under Allen Greene vs a potential new hire under a new AD.
Bad assumption - we hired a new AD and ended up with cornbread.

Currie tried to hire the loser at Rutgers. And look at the failures Hart hired. Switching AD’s is just as risky as switching Football coaches it would appear.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Yeah, I just think the hiring of a new AD changes that. New leadership is designed to provide stability and to create unity. At a place like Auburn, the new AD's tenure will be defined by the (assumed) upcoming football hire. That coach will be given every opportunity and resource to succeed, which is what, to me, differentiates Harsin's tenure under Allen Greene vs a potential new hire under a new AD.
With Auburns boosters, nothing will ever change that. The boosters run that athletic department, not the AD.
Still think Cobb signs with Auburn though.

Reactions: DarthVol1

Currie tried to hire the loser at Rutgers. And look at the failures Hart hired. Switching AD’s is just as risky as switching Football coaches it would appear.
We are looking at the issue thru two different lenses. I'm looking at it thru the lense of a kid who is looking for any reason to go to AU. You're looking at it thru the lense of an unbiased, logical third party.

Obviously, it could all blow up in their face. See your examples for proof. I just don't think this kid is going to look at Auburn thinking they may potentially screw either of these hires up. He certainly isn't going to compare it to Tennessee's past failures. He just wants to see, and Auburn is going to sell him on the idea that they pulled all the right strings, nailed the hires, and are pointed in the right direction.

Reactions: walkenvol
With Auburns boosters, nothing will ever change that. The boosters run that athletic department, not the AD.
I think the same could be said for Tennessee up until the point Danny White stepped on campus and grabbed the reins, to an extent. But at the end of the day, money talks and bull$#^+ walks. The major boosters are almost always ultimately in charge at schools where athletics matters.

Until you get it right! Unless you think the upgrade to Dan White was RISKIER than sticking with Fulmer?

I think the same could be said for Tennessee up until the point Danny White stepped on campus and grabbed the reins, to an extent. But at the end of the day, money talks and bull$#^+ walks. The major boosters are almost always ultimately in charge at schools where athletics matters.
Agreed. Think Auburns are worst than most however.

Reactions: cncchris33

Do you have any information about WHO is really on the priority list for our staff now? Spots now more limited than when most relationships were initiated and practices and our first game may have rearranged the priorities based on that good or bad. I am never sure how many players we are dancing with for tactical reasons and how many would be seriously prioritized, and current commitment encouraged. The whole portal thing and ONE TIME have created a dynamics I don't know how to factor. Even more now that the 25 new counter limit is turned off. Not going to freak out badly without some serious support the staff is all in. Very few no-brainers out there.

That’s what I’m saying though here. Until they get an AD that can get most everyone on the same page it’s still going to be boosters backstabbing each other at every corner just like it’s always been.

At a point here at Tennessee, Anderson and Fulmer cared more about getting Haslam’s AD Currie out of the AD than helping the program. Haslam had up to that point decided who would be hired each time, Kiffin, Muschamp, Dooley, Butch, Mullin, Schiano were all vetted through Haslam before they ever got offers. Once Fulmer was in the AD, Haslam cared more about ousting Fulmer than helping the program as well. Point being when you have boosters that care more about who is in control of the athletic dept than how successful the program is you have problems. Auburn is a lot worse than we were and a lot dirtier at sabotaging each other.

Idk that Auburn can hire a slam dunk at AD. Imagine if White was forced out for no reason at Tennessee right now. That’s where the perception of Auburn is across the country. They probably get what they want and hire an “Auburn guy” as AD but that may not wash either depending on who that guy is beholden to likely Rane.

That’s what I’m saying though here. Until they get an AD that can get most everyone on the same page it’s still going to be boosters backstabbing each other at every corner just like it’s always been.

At a point here at Tennessee, Anderson and Fulmer cared more about getting Haslam’s AD Currie out of the AD than helping the program. Haslam had up to that point decided who would be hired each time, Kiffin, Muschamp, Dooley, Butch, Mullin, Schiano were all vetted through Haslam before they ever got offers. Once Fulmer was in the AD, Haslam cared more about ousting Fulmer than helping the program as well. Point being when you have boosters that care more about who is in control of the athletic dept than how successful the program is you have problems. Auburn is a lot worse than we were and a lot dirtier at sabotaging each other.
I don't disagree. I just think we're making different points. You're viewing it as a rational adult considering all possibilities with no vested interest. I'm attempting to describe how a kid who wants to go to Auburn is probably viewing it. Rose-colored glasses, I guess.

It still kills me that they fired Currie before he could hire Leach. I still think it would’ve been a homerun hire

It still kills me that they fired Currie before he could hire Leach. I still think it would’ve been a homerun hire
In 21 years as a HC, Leach has won 10 or more games...twice; and, he has never put together a recruiting class ranked better than 26th. I like the man, and I think he's a good coach; but, he is far from elite, far from homerun, imo. Would rather have Heupel any day of the week.

Now, Leach's DC? That's a different story.

VN Store

Back