2023 Recruiting

After having endured the trauma of “The Dark Years” when our beloved program received only negative, painful, butt-of-jokes-type attention, I’m actually thrilled that time, new leadership and obvious success has made adding Tennessee to their visits list a badge of honor again.

We’ll take that any day of the week! 🧡
The last will be first

Reactions: chuckiepoo
The last will be first

Ha: We'll certainly be the last major program to get a commit, that's for sure. I don't think that can be spun as good. If we end up
signing at least two of these last four prospects we're chasing, then we'll have had a decent recruiting effort, but our high-school recruiting continues
to seem a bit of a struggle.

Ha: We'll certainly be the last major program to get a commit, that's for sure. I don't think that can be spun as good. If we end up
signing at least two of these last four prospects we're chasing, then we'll have had a decent recruiting effort, but our high-school recruiting continues

It’s more than a struggle if you ask me it’s been since October 2020 since we have had a high school commitment that has to be a record..

It was strange to me that she visited Tennessee unofficially instead of getting it paid for unless the staff didn’t offer an official visit
We were after her so I don’t see why they wouldn’t have if she was apart of the Top 5 targets. But I wasn’t there I can only go off the info I was told. Not saying it was accurate or inaccurate.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

What if we win with transfers then is the HS aspect still a problem? Not trying to start an argument. I'm actually curious as to what people think. I can see where it's a problem but if you solve the problem with another solution is it still a problem?

Also, just to be clear i want a HS commit as much as the next person and am intrigued to see why it's been such an issue. The coaching staff has to know this is the narrative.
So they are supremely confident they can haul in good players or just unbothered lol.

I know we are pulling in and offering TOP recruits, it just seems we can't land many of them. We did get some out of the portal, but what are HS kids not liking. ?
What do you all feel is the problem?
We obviously have one of the best arenas and the Pat Summit legacy. TN uses to be the MOST DESIRED school in the country for women's basketball, not so much anymore. WHY???

Reactions: lfvol and mcannon1
I know we are pulling in and offering TOP recruits, it just seems we can't land many of them. We did get some out of the portal, but what are HS kids not liking. ?
We obviously have one of the best arenas and the Pat Summit legacy. TN uses to be the MOST DESIRED school in the country for women's basketball, not so much anymore. WHY???

For HS kids no clue why they wouldn't come here. The one thing that is prevalent is that a HS kid has a lot more people in her ear (family, AAU coaches, handlers, people with brand associations) than transfer athletes do. They also may have people that delay the process because they want to enjoy the ride a little longer.

Jillian Hollingshead said she was seriously considering TN but couldn't get on campus and she and her family went with the decision that felt get familiar (UGA). NIL deals have played a part and will continue to play apart. You may see kids visit us and go to places like LSU because of what they r allowed to do because of state rules when it come to NIL deals.

In short we need to do better with HS students but if we keep getting the players we get in the portal that will ease some pain (we also turned away some really good players).

Official Visits (effective Aug. 1, 2022)
Q: How does the new legislation impact 2023 recruits
who start taking official visits prior to Aug. 1, 2022?
A: The changes to the official visit legislation take effect
on Aug 1, 2022. Therefore, prospective student-athletes
(2023 recruits) that may have started taking their
permissible official visits would not be permitted to take
a fifth visit after this date.

Reactions: 1reVOLver
Bottom line: Until we can have a couple of seasons in which we make deep runs into the NCAA Tournament, opposing coaches vying for the same recruits we are going for are going to hammer endlessly on the fact that it has been a good while since we've gotten beyond the Sweet 16. The recruiting chatter can be brutal.

This is why this upcoming season is the most critical of Harper's career. If her team plays up to expectations and is a legitimate contender for championships, that line of insult will be stopped. Until then, opposing coaches are going to be as harsh as they can be to convince kids to dump us.

THIS IS OUR YEAR TO TAKE THE NEXT BIG STEP.

There is most certainly a disconnect somewhere. Kellie needs to figure it out.These kids should be committing right after their visit.

VN Store

Back