Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

I stopped reading after you said SC wouldn’t be able to matchup in the backcourt LOL.
Not with the guards they have. Hell, South Carolinas guards are gonna have a heck of a time matching up with AA guards or highly experienced guards in this league. Georgia, LSU, Mississippi State, Ole Miss or Tennessee's gurards are all experienced in the SEC. I don't care who Dawn Staley is, she can't dribble or pass for the players she has on the court. South Carolina's backcourt is not elite at this point; they are young and without Raven Johnson getting that experience last year, it is going to be interesting to see how they handle the pressure of the SEC guards night in and night out. I can't wait to see a Diamond Battles Raven Johnson matchup and don't think Kim Mulkey hasn't already thought out the game plan she will run against freshman guards with her seniors.

Not with the guards they have. Hell, South Carolinas guards are gonna have a heck of a time matching up with AA guards or highly experienced guards in this league. Georgia, LSU, Mississippi State, Ole Miss or Tennessee's gurards are all experienced in the SEC. I don't care who Dawn Staley is, she can't dribble or pass for the players she has on the court. South Carolina's backcourt is not elite at this point; they are young and without Raven Johnson getting that experience last year, it is going to be interesting to see how they handle the pressure of the SEC guards night in and night out. I can't wait to see a Diamond Battles Raven Johnson matchup and don't think Kim Mulkey hasn't already thought out the game plan she will run against freshman guards with her seniors.

SC has won the SEC regular season and Tournament 2 out of the last 3 years and has 2 guards that has been apart of that returns in the starting lineup… so no that’s not a fact that those teams have more guard experience. Honestly I don’t see how you can win a national Championship but not be deemed Elite lol but I digress. Beal is the best backcourt defender in the country and Zia is an All-SEC guard. I’ll take that any day, the other guards are slept on and will be bonuses.

You can make a claim to this or that but in reality the games will have to be played to know for sure.

Reactions: Peas29 and mcannon1
Raven Johnson was the No.2 player in the country out of high school...lol....she will be a great guard. We have Fletcher a transfer from GT and Cooper coming in. We will be fine. I think the Lady Vols will match up well....but it's not like there is going to be a SC problem with the talent we have.

Raven Johnson was the No.2 player in the country out of high school...lol....she will be a great guard. We have Fletcher a transfer from GT and Cooper coming in. We will be fine. I think the Lady Vols will match up well....but it's not like there is going to be a SC problem with the talent we have.
So was Jordan Horston the number 2 player and number 1 point guard out of Highschool not to mention, the McDonald All-American game MVP and a member of Team USA. I thought our fans would lose their minds because of her turnovers as a freshman. Freshmen are freshman and game experience means everything at the college level, especially in the SEC

Reactions: mcannon1
So was Jordan Horston the number 2 player and number 1 point guard out of Highschool not to mention, the McDonald All-American game MVP and a member of Team USA. I thought our fans would lose their minds because of her turnovers as a freshman. Freshmen are freshman and game experience means everything at the college level, especially in the SEC

Just because Horston struggled with turnovers doesn’t mean Raven will. You’re projecting very hard. Ty Harris started her freshman year and was outstanding running point with veteran leadership around like Raven will have. Players vary in abilities and IQ and Raven has a very high IQ similar to Olivia Miles at ND and she has been killing it since she stepped on campus. And it’s not like she’s running the position by herself or the fact that she isn’t a true freshman. She’s been around the College game a year learning.

Just because Horston struggled with turnovers doesn’t mean Raven will. You’re projecting very hard. Ty Harris started her freshman year and was outstanding running point with veteran leadership around like Raven will have. Players vary in abilities and IQ and Raven has a very high IQ similar to Olivia Miles at ND and she has been killing it since she stepped on campus. And it’s not like she’s running the position by herself or the fact that she isn’t a true freshman. She’s been around the College game a year learning.

Agreed. Every player has there struggles and roles being played are going to be different. Raven obviously as anyone who is new to the college game may have her growing pains and but will be outstanding I’m sure and if she isn’t Dawn has more than enough returning and incoming to ensure her team is ready for the season and to defend their title. I’m ready for the games to be played and see how all the teams improve, with my hope being when it’s all said and done my Lady Vols come out on top but this season is looking like it should be one of the best in terms of just team talent and coaching around WCBB. So many schools have made changes with coaching staff and players that you have to think some teams are going to surprise you in good and bad ways.

Olivia Miles struggles with turnovers herself. She just has an almost 2:1 assist/turnover rate that covers it up.

You can look at all the teams and you will find that there is about a three to four turnover difference average per game. Turnovers only hurt you if your not forcing any and not getting on the offensive boards. Three or four turnovers more a game won't beat you unless your shooting a lower percentage than the other team and not getting to the free throw line. Turnovers cost you shots at basket and that is the main possession your trying to win. You can cover up any turnover deficiency with offensive rebounding and that should be a strength of our team and SC as well. The overall goal of the game is to get more shots at basket than you opponent and more opportunities at the free throw line. Were going to force more turnovers this season and while we might still have the same amount of turnovers offensively If we can make it a negative factor. force as many as we make, then it will not be a factor as to winning games.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I agree partially. I love Ravens game so it’ll be interesting to watch her career progress throughout college. But UT guards and team as a whole will be a problem for any team we go up against if they reach their true potential this season. There won’t be a team that can beat us if clicking on all cylinders.

I agree partially. I love Ravens game so it’ll be interesting to watch her career progress throughout college. But UT guards and team as a whole will be a problem for any team we go up against if they reach their true potential this season. There won’t be a team that can beat us if clicking on all cylinders.
Tennessee, Stanford and many other teams could make that statement. The problem is...no team clicks on all cylinders in every game. That is when you need a steady team that has played together for a few years. That is where Stanford and South Carolina have a real advantage to start the season. I am very high on Tennessee. I think they are the 3rd best team and could beat either Stanford or South Carolina on any given night.....but it is also more likely to go the other way as it stands now. Tennessee is poised to make a great run....but don't get ahead of the game.

Tennessee, Stanford and many other teams could make that statement. The problem is...no team clicks on all cylinders in every game. That is when you need a steady team that has played together for a few years. That is where Stanford and South Carolina have a real advantage to start the season. I am very high on Tennessee. I think they are the 3rd best team and could beat either Stanford or South Carolina on any given night.....but it is also more likely to go the other way as it stands now. Tennessee is poised to make a great run....but don't get ahead of the game.
Well first, don’t put words in my mouth. I never said they’d click every game. I’ve played the game myself so I know there will be those games where you will have to find ways to win without having your best day. And I’m not getting ahead of anything. But like I said if they maximize their true potential as a team they will cut down nets this year. Never said it’d be easy or that they will reach it. We’ve brought in the right pieces and if players’ games have gotten better, especially Key’s then they’re about to take us on a great ride. Expecting nothing less than a Final Four for this group. Have my hotel booked already and if they don’t make it then I’ll have this same energy for next season.

The dreaded knee injury in women's basketball strikes again :(. Kansas State's Ayoka Lee to miss the season to have knee surgery.
Sad thing is she already wears a brace on the knee so this could be a chronic issue. She has already pledged to comeback to KSU for 23-24 so hopefully she stays healthy enough to have a fruitful pro career. Another injury and GM's may back off of her .

Sad thing is she already wears a brace on the knee so this could be a chronic issue. She has already pledged to comeback to KSU for 23-24 so hopefully she stays healthy enough to have a fruitful pro career. Another injury and GM's may back off of her .

Agreed. I think it's an older injury where she's been playing on a bad knee for a couple of years now, and it's finally just all it could take maybe?

Well i think the LV' is the best team and will beat both SC and Stanford so im guilty of being ahead of the game but im perfectly fine with that.this year's squad has me feeling real confident and borderline cocky if you want to know the truth

Not too much now lol TK/Jordy have played 3 years together and are two of the main leaders of this squad both on and off the court. Tess/Jordan Walker have played 2 years now with this both. And we have 4 freshmen who got real life experience last season so should be taking steps forward in chemistry this season. Marta also has previously played a huge role in this team prior to injury sand the team again seems to have great chemistry by all reports. While we have 4 transfers and a freshman coming in, we’re hopeful based on how it’s been done previously, that Kellie will(and has already) integrated them in the culture of this LV bball team and vetted them to ensure there would be no chemistry concerns.

I don’t think it’s “more likely” to be the opposite I think the top 5 or so teams quite honestly have a legit shot at beating the other on any given night. I pray all teams are healthy this season and players can go out there and ball out. Looking forward to a great season. Very excited for the SEC battles

I’m not sure what Uconn needs most right now, but suffice to say I believe the final 4 thingy is over with PB on the shelf and Jerko (sp?) coming off that injury. Fudd is awesome, but not PB like and she disappeared in some big games. Great team, great players and coach….but not this year.

Who is their leader now? And not sure how they can compete on the boards with the big teams this season. SC showed how a dominating defense and rebounding team will short circuit their style and players. Just look at the box score, I don’t have the energy/time to explain. Nothing against Uconn.

Need Orange is going to need a friend this season. Problems won’t come so much from the Big Easy, but in the tourney and quality OOC games. And they will be desperately fighting for a 2 seed this year imo. 4-5 losses best case for regular season….watch. Btw, Geno losing a step lately, cannot count on him out coaching a quality opponent all the time anymore.

Husky fans don’t know how to deal with this reality.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back