22-23 Roster Management & Lineups

I would start Tamari also, as you can't teach height. I hope Coach brings Tamari away from the basket more to handle the ball more, a la WNBA "centers". She needs to take the 15 footers and maybe a 3 pointer, and also make the great pass. In the pros, you have to be able to play and move in more open space.

Reactions: dapeak
I think Walker may be the two and Powell the point guard starting. Horston, Jackson, and Key are no brainers although Hollingshead is really versatile and will probably see close to as much time as Key even if off the bench. Franklin is a dynamic player if she is over her injury she is definitely in the rotation. You then certainly will see Puckett, Miles, and certainly Darby will get some time on the floor. Hard for me to figure where Suarez fits in all this. You have to play Justine a few minutes. Then you wonder if Striplin and Kaiya have progressed enough from last season to make it really hard on the coaches to figure it all out. That is 14 players vying for time and all could be factors. Right now JMO Striplin, Wynn, Suarez and Tess are working on the short end of the rotation that may turn out to not be true but we can't play 14 every game so at least three players are on the short end and they appear to be the ones to me just looking at the roster. Coaches could go a tandem of Puckett, Darby, and Pissott as one forty minute position. Powell probably play 23 to 25 minutes and Miles getting the other minutes at that position. Key, and Hollingshead are the fives with Striplin getting the work when were well ahead. Expect to see Jackson and Horston both over 30 minutes in every game that is close. If Wynn has progressed offensively then she could take away from Walker at the two.

An overall minute breakdown could look something like this:

Horston 25
Jackson 25
Key 20
Hollingshead 15
Franklin 15
Powell 23
Miles 12
Walker 14
Puckett 16
Darby 10
Pissott 10
Wynn 5
Striplin 5
Suarez 5

We may see a lot of saving Key in the second and third quarter so she can play most of the fourth. I figure everybody will average 5 minutes per game as some will play 15 in blowouts and none in some other games. We'll see Horston and Jackson go over thirty in some games while in others may only play 15 to 20 when were well ahead and don't need them on the floor. There are at least 10 games on the schedule where we will have to shorten the rotation, but coaches can keep everyone happy if they play the others when were 20 ahead with five minutes to play.

To me the shortened rotation would be:

Horston, Jackson, Key, Hollingshead, Franklin, Powell, Miles, Walker, and Puckett, maybe a short stint for Darby or Pissott.

I would start Tamari also, as you can't teach height. I hope Coach brings Tamari away from the basket more to handle the ball more, a la WNBA "centers". She needs to take the 15 footers and maybe a 3 pointer, and also make the great pass. In the pros, you have to be able to play and move in more open space.

Idk about the 3 point shot but that free throw line shot needs to become MONEY. She’s tall enough to where it could become an unstoppable shot for her without being fouled and with the way Jordy and Rickea are going to be able to move and score all over the floor she should be open both there and in the post from due to setting screens and either rolling or taking that shot. Soooo excited for this squad.

Idk about the 3 point shot but that free throw line shot needs to become MONEY. She’s tall enough to where it could become an unstoppable shot for her without being fouled and with the way Jordy and Rickea are going to be able to move and score all over the floor she should be open both there and in the post from due to setting screens and either rolling or taking that shot. Soooo excited for this squad.
I was thinking about this yesterday, that the 6'4"-6'5" WNBA player needs the three point shot nowadays and the 6'6"+ absolutely has to be able to hit from the top of the key.

So for Tamari, getting comfortable a bit further from the basket will be really important in her longevity as a pro, and hitting a consistent 3 for someone like Jillian (inspired by Candace, the archetype of that style of play at that height) is essential.

I was thinking about this yesterday, that the 6'4"-6'5" WNBA player needs the three point shot nowadays and the 6'6"+ absolutely has to be able to hit from the top of the key.

So for Tamari, getting comfortable a bit further from the basket will be really important in her longevity as a pro, and hitting a consistent 3 for someone like Jillian (inspired by Candace, the archetype of that style of play at that height) is essential.

Jillian should push Tamari to expand her game in this way as well. Jillian has a beautiful shot and shoots confidently from all over the floor. If her knees can hold up I think she’s destined for a great pro career.

TK has a beautiful stroke. She needs to let it fly with confidence from 17’ in this season. I swear she didn’t miss an elbow jumper last season. Only problem was she only took about 4 of them lol

Seems to me that if we're going to continue to sell the program as being a "family," then you stand by your players like you would a member of your family. Obviously not every player who has come through Tennessee has been a star, and quite a few have fallen well short of being capable of playing significant minutes.

But even those players have a role to play, and each and every one of them works hard, studies hard, and loves the program hard. Tennessee Lady Vols Basketball has never been, and hopefully never will be, just about the game of basketball.

If someone who has ridden the bench for years has earned an extra season, then I'm all for honoring their commitment to the program by honoring THEM as a valued member of the family. I don't know about anyone else here, but in my family we don't wish for anyone among us to go away just because they might not be as successful as we want them to be. We stand by them as long as they are doing their best.

Seems to me that if we're going to continue to sell the program as being a "family," then you stand by your players like you would a member of your family. Obviously not every player who has come through Tennessee has been a star, and quite a few have fallen well short of being capable of playing significant minutes.

But even those players have a role to play, and each and every one of them works hard, studies hard, and loves the program hard. Tennessee Lady Vols Basketball has never been, and hopefully never will be, just about the game of basketball.

If someone who has ridden the bench for years has earned an extra season, then I'm all for honoring their commitment to the program by honoring THEM as a valued member of the family. I don't know about anyone else here, but in my family we don't wish for anyone among us to go away just because they might not be as successful as we want them to be. We stand by them as long as they are doing their best.

Sometimes the best thing your family can do is encourage you to venture out to expand yourself and grow as a person.

Jessie would be a LVFL, just like Emily, but she really isn’t going to benefit from another season of riding the pine. Nor is the program.

Sometimes the best thing your family can do is encourage you to venture out to expand yourself and grow as a person.

Jessie would be a LVFL, just like Emily, but she really isn’t going to benefit from another season of riding the pine. Nor is the program.

How can you be sure she wouldn't benefit from another year of riding the pine? Like I said, it's not all about the basketball. We've got plenty of great players. The program is not going to crumble if a faithful end-of-bencher sits another year. A player like that can teach the young ones a great deal about loyalty and perseverance.

I think there is a little bit of denial around Franklin's ACL return. If you check all the protocols, 9 months is just about where athletes move from general strength and conditioning to competitive activities like cutting etc. Maybe she is ahead of schedule, but I think there is a good chance she will be working her way back over the course of the season. I don't see her playing big minutes right off the bat.

Franklin's status aside, the LVs have not had this kind of depth since the glory years (and on paper, this team might be deeper than any other LV team ever). Depth can be a blessing and a curse. I expect that early season games to be on the disjointed side, as the Kellie and company experiment with line-ups and roles. I would bet the house that there will be surprises as well in terms of which players end up being more central to the rotation when the crunch part of the season arrives. It will be fun to see how this all plays out.

Last edited:
Everyone seems to be forgetting that Marta was a freshman starter before her injury. I think she will be in the main rotation along with the others. There are so many combinations available, opposing coaches will go crazy trying to guess who Kellie will put out there. One thing's for certain; there is NO excuse for not going 100% when on the court!

Everyone seems to be forgetting that Marta was a freshman starter before her injury. I think she will be in the main rotation along with the others. There are so many combinations available, opposing coaches will go crazy trying to guess who Kellie will put out there. One thing's for certain; there is NO excuse for not going 100% when on the court!
Exactly Marta is the X-Factor she came in as a freshmen with no fear and became the game changer we needed. Now she has more talent to go against but i fully expect her to work her way in the rotation as a 6th man if not a starter by seasons end.

Hear, Hear!!

Exactly Marta is the X-Factor she came in as a freshmen with no fear and became the game changer we needed. Now she has more talent to go against but i fully expect her to work her way in the rotation as a 6th man if not a starter by seasons end.

I haven't seen her play very much, but she is going to have to be an incredibly skilled player to start on this team, given the wealth of top-drawer experienced talent we have accrued.

This all started in soccer,,, you know.
Participation trophies
If she's gonna be on my team she has to show growth in both Practice, and, game.

I haven't seen her play very much, but she is going to have to be an incredibly skilled player to start on this team, given the wealth of top-drawer experienced talent we have accrued.
She started as a freshman. She can start on this team hands down . Anywhere from SF/PF if need be . Puckett is not a lock at starter with Marta back . She can do everything puckett can plus some. Both are a great luxury to have.

Kellie has the depth of talent to full court press, keep players fresh and wear opponents down. I continue to be amused by our fans who do not realize that Franklin is one of the top 25 to 30 best players in the nation, or at least was prior to her injury. This is not an exaggeration at all and she without question she would have been an honorable mention AP All-American last year if not injured. What a pleasant surprise to them it will be when they realize that she is more than a player who will be in the rotation or a top reserve

Last edited:
Hollingshead is going to be huge for this team. Last season, when Key got into foul trouble or played poorly, it put the LVs into a scramble mode. Green did a nice job as back-up, before her injury, but she was an undersized post and some match-ups were not great for her. And we know, after Green went down, that is when the struggles really began. Hollingshead has the size and I don't think there will be much drop off when she is on the court.

Imo, Powell, Jackson, Horston, and Key are locks to start and play the most minutes. I think the best option is to put a shooter out there with them and that shooter should be Puckett, although an argument could be made for Darby.

Participation trophies
If she's gonna be on my team she has to show growth in both Practice, and, game.

I agree Coach....The final score does not care how you are, but which team scored the most...That will never change.

Finally, Coach Kellie has assembled a team full of scorers...It seems logical once these players get use to each other in game conditions, this squad may become legendary...

By the time SEC play starts, wcbb, will be asking "Who are those girls?"
Lady_vols_logo_eQlMX7l.max-640x480.jpg

Last edited:
Participation trophies

I have never seen her in a game in which I wasn't impressed by how much she hustles. If she's in there a minute, she is going hard that entire minute. That should mean something to fans. It certainly means a lot to me. So does the concept of loyalty.

Her bugaboo has obviously been that she has yet to pry off the lid that suddenly appears over the hoop every time she puts up a shot in a game. She hits them in practice. She hits them in pre-game warm-ups. She just worries too much about missing in games.

Still, there have never been anything but positive thoughts and vibes around her, and the way she hawks the ball on defense, dives for loose balls, etc., is inspiring. I can't believe you, supposedly a coach, don't see any value in that. Seriously. You may think your semi-regular references to "participation trophies" about exceptionally hard-working players such as the one we're discussing makes you sound like a bad-ass coach's coach but, to me, it makes you sound like you're not particularly observant in regard to the full player/ person and plainly lacking in both empathy and loyalty. To me, those are extremely important qualities every GREAT coach has.

Last edited:
I have never seen her in a game in which I wasn't impressed by how much she hustles. If she's in there a minute, she is going hard that entire minute. That should mean something to fans. It certainly means a lot to me. So does the concept of loyalty.

Her bugaboo has obviously been that she has yet to pry off the lid that suddenly appears over the hoop every time she puts up a shot in a game. She hits them in practice. She hits them in pre-game warm-ups. She just worries too much about missing in games.

Still, there have never been anything but positive thoughts and vibes around her, and the way she hawks the ball on defense, dives for loose balls, etc., is inspiring. I can't believe you, supposedly a coach, don't see any value in that. Seriously. You may think your semi-regular references to "participation trophies" about exceptionally hard-working players such as the one we're discussing makes you sound like a bad-ass coach's coach but, to me, it makes you sound like you're not particularly observant in regard to the full player/ person and plainly lacking in both empathy and loyalty. To me, those are extremely important qualities every GREAT coach has.

You obviously really like this young lady/this is good...She appears to be a fabulous person that gets along well with everyone/again this is very good....

Her scoring average is .06 per game/this is not so good. Would you not agree?
Not going to win many championships with that kind of scoring average.

Since she is lost for the season, due to an injury, perhaps she will continue her career here when she heals for next season, or she may move on to a program where she can find her shot again, and actually play.

In any event, Jesse is a fine young lady and we all wish her the best....
TENNESSEE_RENNIE_JESSIE.jpg

you had it right in the early part,,,I am a bad-ass coach
I want bad-ass players.
Bad-ass players may start at the end of the rotation,but they don't stay there!
That is what I respect and expect.
Same from coaches, Coach K included,,,she can start in the middle, but I expect her to continue to climb,,,and so do you and so does all LV fans

you had it right in the early part,,,I am a bad-ass coach
I want bad-ass players.
Bad-ass players may start at the end of the rotation,but they don't stay there!
That is what I respect and expect.
Same from coaches, Coach K included,,,she can start in the middle, but I expect her to continue to climb,,,and so do you and so does all LV fans

lol
No actual bad-ass coach would ever feel the need to type or say the words you just did. You just told us all we need to know.

Reactions: Hooper22
Kellie has the depth of talent to full court press, keep players fresh and wear opponents down. I continue to be amused by our fans who do not realize that Franklin is one of the top 25 to 30 best players in the nation, or at least was prior to her injury. This is not an exaggeration at all and she without question she would have been an honorable mention AP All-American last year if not injured. What a pleasant surprise to them it will be when they realize that she is more than a player who will be in the rotation or a top reserve

If she is 100%, I think she starts at the four.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

VN Store

Back