The Dugout - General Topics, Chat, Random Photos and Memes.......No Politics

That’s some interesting stuff. I’m assuming it hit him in the temple. Wow.
I love old newspapers!
They have always interested me, even when I was little, I would find things that my grandmother packed away, using old newspapers and I would always check them out.
🤷‍♂️

On August 16 in Baseball History...

• 1873 - At Baltimore's Newington Park, Baltimore Canaries outfielder Lip Pike races against a horse. Pike has a short lead after 75 yards when the trotter breaks into a run. Pike holds on to win in 10 seconds flat.

• 1890 - It's a bad day for Pittsburgh's Bill Phillips as he becomes the first pitcher in major league history to give up two grand slams in one inning. Tom Burns and Malachi Kittridge each hit one in the fifth inning en route to an 18-5 victory at Chicago's West Side Park.

• 1920 - At the Polo Grounds Cleveland shortstop Ray Chapman, 29, is beaned by a Carl Mayspitch. A right-handed batter who crowds the plate, Chapman freezes and fails to get out of the way of the submarine delivery. He is carried from the field and he dies the next day from a fractured skull.

• 1927 - Babe Ruth inaugurates the newly-constructed Comiskey Park grandstand roof by cranking a Tommy Thomas pitch over the addition.

• 1947 - Ralph Kiner hits three successive home runs for the Pittsburgh Pirates, for a 12-7 win over the Cardinals in a game in which the two clubs bang out 10 homers. Kiner matches the major league marks of seven home runs in four games, six in three games, five in two games, and four in consecutive at bats.

• 1950 - Hank Thompson hit two inside-the-park home runs in the Giants' 16-7 rout of the Brooklyn Dodgers at the Polo Grounds.

• 1954 - In a throwing contest between Jim Piersall and Willie Mays before a Red Sox-Giants charity game in Boston, Piersall hurts his arm. He starts the game but leaves midway. He wakes up the following morning with a sore arm that stays with him a year, and he will never throw quite as well again.

• 1964 - Curt Flood of the St. Louis Cardinals had eight straight hits in a doubleheader against the Los Angeles Dodgers. The Dodgers won the first game 3-0 and the Cardinals took the second, 4-0.

• 1964 - Sandy Koufax (19-5) hurts his elbow sliding into second base in a 3-0 win against St. Louis. He will miss the rest of the season. In the nightcap, Curt Simmons matches Sandy Koufax with a 4-0 shutout of the Dodgers. Cards center fielder Curt Flood has eight straight hits in the doubleheader split.

• 1966 - Willie Mays hits his 534th home run, matching Jimmie Foxx's record for right-handed batters, as Gaylord Perry beats the Cardinals 3-1.

• 1967 - Jim Maloney of Cincinnati retired 19 consecutive Pirates but had to leave the game after he injured his ankle by stepping in a hole at Forbes Field. Billy McCool allowed two hits over the final 2 2/3 innings to complete a 4-0 victory over Pittsburgh.

• 1976 - With the help of three picked-off Oakland runners at first base, the first such occurrence in the American League since 1910, the Brewers beat Oakland 4-3. Another oddity happens when Oakland's Billy Williams is called out on strikes after refusing to enter the batter's box. He is then thrown out of the game.

• 1984 - After nearly six years, Pete Rose is reunited with his hometown Cincinnati Reds when the Expos trade him for infielder Tom Lawless. The Reds immediately name him player-manager, replacing Vern Rapp.

• 1996 - The Padres and Mets play the first regular season major league game ever played in Mexico, and it isn't pretty. The Padres take a big lead in support of Mexican native and starting pitcher Fernando Valenzuela, but the Mets close the gap with seven runs in the ninth inning in a 15-10 Padres triumph. The series is moved from San Diego because of a perceived conflict with the Republican National Convention. The Padres take two of three games in "La Primera Serie" in Monterrey, Mexico.
Was not prepared for 1920 Ray Chapman. Things just got serious.

VN Store

Back