Tennessee Lady Vol News

I’m sure the blue uniforms will be pretty, and I will continue to cheer our teams, but I am always disappointed when UT messes with Tennessee team colors. They’re calling it Summitt blue so you should feel guilty if you don’t like the idea of our team wearing some other school’s colors. Blue and orange are Florida colors, black is Vanderbilt. Apparently we only added blue because our Orange is special and no company made uniforms in our color.

“The first version of the Lady Vols' blue accent color appeared in 1968 when Joan Cronan set out to obtain jerseys for the women's basketball team. At the time, no company offered an orange uniform, so Cronan opted for Columbia blue uniforms with orange lettering when the Lady Vols played at home.

Later, when orange uniforms became available, Tennessee switched to the traditional orange jerseys but a touch of Summitt Blue has remained.”

Our orange and white colors are special, and all Tennessee! Forever, GO BIG ORANGE!!!
I think that’s what makes ours so unique is the accent of powder blue. It’s really attractive paired with the Tennessee orange, but that’s just me.

I’m sure the blue uniforms will be pretty, and I will continue to cheer our teams, but I am always disappointed when UT messes with Tennessee team colors. They’re calling it Summitt blue so you should feel guilty if you don’t like the idea of our team wearing some other school’s colors. Blue and orange are Florida colors, black is Vanderbilt. Apparently we only added blue because our Orange is special and no company made uniforms in our color.

“The first version of the Lady Vols' blue accent color appeared in 1968 when Joan Cronan set out to obtain jerseys for the women's basketball team. At the time, no company offered an orange uniform, so Cronan opted for Columbia blue uniforms with orange lettering when the Lady Vols played at home.

Later, when orange uniforms became available, Tennessee switched to the traditional orange jerseys but a touch of Summitt Blue has remained.”

Our orange and white colors are special, and all Tennessee! Forever, GO BIG ORANGE!!!

Been waiting a long time for the Lady Vols to adopt a uniform scheme with the powder blue more incorporated in the uniform. I don't think the blue jerseys will take away from the dominance of the orange. The Summit blue is just another part of the Lady Vol tradition and it's high time it was shown more. From what I understand it will be just one of the many color schemes of the Lady Vol uniforms which will still include Smokey grey and the orange and white checkerboard which the soccer team wears. All can be included and all are part of the Lady Vol tradition.

I think that’s what makes ours so unique is the accent of powder blue. It’s really attractive paired with the Tennessee orange, but that’s just me.
Did you see the thread that just got quickly deleted? It showed our soccer players dressed in blue and orange, Florida’s colors. Teams imitate us, it should not be the other way around. It’s not about what might be pretty, personally I like Michigan’s blue and yellow, but they are not my school and not my school’s colors. Tennessee’s great legacy in several sports was made while wearing our special colors, Orange and white, and I have pride in that. I honestly don’t recognize my team when I see them in some other school’s colors.

Forever, GO BIG ORANGE!!!

I've never understood why someone chose a shade of Florida blue for the (not very strong-looking) LV logo in the first place. Now, thanks, to Vol12, we know: It goes back to 1968 and the fact that, strangely, nobody could make an orange uniform--or a uniform with orange in it--at that time. That doesn't seem to make sense--what, there was no orange thread/material or coloring to be had at that time? Apparently not. The combination of this blue and orange IS very close to the Univ. of Florida's colors, which is also strange. I wonder if our women's basketball program had remained strong and not deteriorated over the last 20 years if the UTAD would still be so fixated on the 1970s/1980s. Got too little going on in the present, so let's look wistfully back in time....

I've never understood why someone chose a shade of Florida blue for the (not very strong-looking) LV logo in the first place. Now, thanks, to Vol12, we know: It goes back to 1968 and the fact that, strangely, nobody could make an orange uniform--or a uniform with orange in it--at that time. That doesn't seem to make sense--what, there was no orange thread/material or coloring to be had at that time? Apparently not. The combination of this blue and orange IS very close to the Univ. of Florida's colors, which is also strange. I wonder if our women's basketball program had remained strong and not deteriorated over the last 20 years if the UTAD would still be so fixated on the 1970s/1980s. Got too little going on in the present, so let's look wistfully back in time....

I don’t find that our combo of blue and orange looks anything at all like Florida. Maybe just me, but they are distinctly different. Both the orange we use and the blue.

Last edited:
Did you see the thread that just got quickly deleted? It showed our soccer players dressed in blue and orange, Florida’s colors. Teams imitate us, it should not be the other way around. It’s not about what might be pretty, personally I like Michigan’s blue and yellow, but they are not my school and not my school’s colors. Tennessee’s great legacy in several sports was made while wearing our special colors, Orange and white, and I have pride in that. I honestly don’t recognize my team when I see them in some other school’s colors.

Forever, GO BIG ORANGE!!!
The orange and blue for the soccer team's kit looks absolutely nothing like Florida's colors. I love the blue and I've been hoping our Lady Vols would get a cool alternate jersey for this season.

Who should be better this year IU or VT?

I say VT for sure on paper. IU lost a lot to graduation/eligibility. VT brings back one of the best posts in the country and reigning ACC player of the year, Elizabeth Kitley, and All-American transfer guard from Maryland, Ashley Owusu (one of my favorite players to watch when healthy). I will say this for the Tamari Key and the Tennessee defense in their matchup last year though - they MORE than held Kitley in check. She probably had her worst game of the year and maybe career due to TK and the Tennessee D. She was 1-12 from the floor in 40 mins!!!

No ETSU this season first time in a long time.

I’m guessing they were not organized enough to work with us on getting a game together this season. They just fired their coach for misconduct a couple weeks ago and only named a new coach a few days ago.

Otherwise I’ll get we would have played them again.

I’m super disappointed that TK doesn’t get a homecoming game 😩

I knew North Carolina wouldn’t play us even if we wanted to. I thought we might get a game with NC State but we really didn’t need it.

We have a tough non-con with Ohio State, VT, Indiana, UCONN, Stanford then whoever we play in Atlantis.

Wouldn’t have really benefitted us to play either NC school but I do wish TK had gotten a homecoming.

Last edited:
I knew North Carolina wouldn’t play us even if we wanted to. I thought we might get a game with NC State but we really didn’t need it.

We have a tough non-con with Ohio State, VT, Indiana, UCONN then whoever we play in Atlantis.

Wouldn’t have really benefitted us to play either NC school but I do wish TK had gotten a homecoming.
And Stanford.

I think they must be one of the teams we will play in the Bahamas..
Atlantis is happy to announce the teams participating in the 2022 Battle 4 Atlantis Women's Tournament. The field will include Louisville, Tennessee, South Dakota State, Rutgers, UCLA, Marquette, Texas, and Gonzaga. The Battle 4 Atlantis Women's Tournament will take place November 19 - 21, 2022.

I don't care THAT much about it that it's bothering me, but count me among those who'd have preferred just a tad that the blue remain just an accent color. When I go to games I want our players and their opponents to look around the arena and have no doubt which team the folks in the seats are cheering for. The players look for orange. If fans come in wearing blue, or black, or white or gray shirts, they look like they could be fans of ANY team. The orange makes is crystal clear who that fan is there for.

But that's just one opinion, and you all know what they say about opinions ...

Atlantis is happy to announce the teams participating in the 2022 Battle 4 Atlantis Women's Tournament. The field will include Louisville, Tennessee, South Dakota State, Rutgers, UCLA, Marquette, Texas, and Gonzaga. The Battle 4 Atlantis Women's Tournament will take place November 19 - 21, 2022.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back