Out of Conference Schedule Released

I’m fairly consistent. I complain about it, too. It’s even worse in football because there are only 12 games in an entire season so if 4 of those games are the little sisters of the poor then 1/3 of your viewing pleasure are worthless games.

Obviously, some don’t mind it because they would be okay with us playing 12 cupcakes if it he loses jumpstart the rebuild but with there being so few games in a football season I would prefer to not have 3-4 of them every single year be “buy” games.
At least you are consistent then…I was just thinking that I don’t really seem to see it much in football and that it seems to be a much hotter topic with basketball.

At least you are consistent then…I was just thinking that I don’t really seem to see it much in football and that it seems to be a much hotter topic with basketball.

I don’t know. I see it a lot with football, too. My dad is a season ticket holder and he talks about it all the time. Maybe since you are a basketball guy you don’t hear about it as much but it’s a real thing. I would prefer a 9-game SEC schedule as opposed to 8 and I would prefer 2 P5 non-conference games (one home and one road) and then one cupcake. Football season is too short to waste 33% of it playing UT Chattanooga.

Fine with me. My point wasn’t even about NET ranking. It was about my wallet. Things are expensive and I’d like to go see more Tennessee home games when I am in Knoxville visiting family over the holidays, and I personally have no desire to pay out to ass for a game against Tennessee Tech which I have seen almost every year.
If you are paying out the ass to watch us play TTU then you’re doing something wrong, if anything cost would go up against a P5 name.

So you’d rather pay more, to watch us beat a worse team, and all the while it hurt our NCAA resume…just for the payoff that is a name people know?

If you are paying out the ass to watch us play TTU then you’re doing something wrong, if anything cost would go up against a P5 name.

So you’d rather pay more, to watch us beat a worse team, and all the while it hurt our NCAA resume…just for the payoff that is a name people know?

I am being facetious about “paying out the ass.” I’m also not sure why I should care much about the NET when not even the NCAA selection committee takes it seriously. How many times have we had strong NET or RPI numbers only to come back here and complain that the committee screwed us and made a weird decision with our seeding?

I am being facetious about “paying out the ass.” I’m also not sure why I should care much about the NET when not even the NCAA selection committee takes it seriously. How many times have we had strong NET or RPI numbers only to come back here and complain that the committee screwed us and made a weird decision with our seeding?
It’s 100% factored in and used, there’s evidence of it, we got screwed because SECT run made no difference so why play it, but plenty of data suggests that the committee almost exclusively relies on the NET.

It’s 100% factored in and used, there’s evidence of it, we got screwed because SECT run made no difference so why play it, but plenty of data suggests that the committee almost exclusively relies on the NET.

Well, we had a higher net ranking than Kentucky and it didn’t matter there either. Regardless, I don’t think there is probably much difference between a team like Tennessee Tech or NC State from the perspective of NET.

I don’t know. I see it a lot with football, too. My dad is a season ticket holder and he talks about it all the time. Maybe since you are a basketball guy you don’t hear about it as much but it’s a real thing. I would prefer a 9-game SEC schedule as opposed to 8 and I would prefer 2 P5 non-conference games (one home and one road) and then one cupcake. Football season is too short to waste 33% of it playing UT Chattanooga.
I get it with football, you lose 1, maybe 2 games and your season is over (playoff wise)…the chances of losing 1-2 if you’re a SEC team go up a lot if you start adding in 2-3 really tough games. I get we say it would be a fun schedule but if we are missing the playoffs every year while other teams play weaker schedules and make the playoffs well then our fans are just gonna complain about how we suck, not about what an awesome viewing experience they have due to our tough schedule.

Well, we had a higher net ranking than Kentucky and it didn’t matter there either. Regardless, I don’t think there is probably much difference between a team like Tennessee Tech or NC State from the perspective of NET.
Right, like I said our SECT win where we moved up didn’t help at all, committee already had things seeded. Doesn’t mean NET isn’t used though, if it was worse entering SECT maybe we are a 4 or 5 instead of a 3.

1 single game probably doesn’t change much with NET, but I would always schedule with improving my resume in mind, not hurting it. With that said, I also don’t see many folks who are upset about our OOC home slate feeling much different if we ditch TTU for a bottom dweller P5 type team IMO.

Edit: I just looked, our attendance numbers for OOC dwellers like TTU or Presbyterian were pretty much exact same as SEC games against dwellers like South Carolina or Ole Miss.

Last edited:
Yeah, and that is fine. You and I just fundamentally disagree. Nothing wrong with that. I think neutral site games are bad for the sport. People can hate on Cal, but I respect the hell out of him for taking Kentucky to Spokane this year and going into that hornet’s nest. College sports don’t need to be on boring, dead neutral courts with a fraction of the volume and energy.

My personal preference is to renew home-and-homes and make them a thing again. I just don’t enjoy watching these neutral site games with no atmosphere. Watching Tennessee play in Boulder last year was a ton of fun. That crowd was rowdy. We then go to Madison Square Garden and it was so quiet you could hear a pin drop.

It's funny you mention Cal; he never does that and just decided to do it one time for Mark Few. Cal is the reason why there are more neutral site games. Plus, I heard this speculated on radio, but Spokane is not their home court, and the speculation was that UK would have a decent crowd.

We have played in Spokane under Barnes, too. This is just the nature of the game now. We would probably have another P5 home game if we hadn't scheduled Colorado for a third game in Nashville. It is apparent that Barnes wants games in Memphis or really Nashville on a regular basis.

Arizona team will be a reloading team with 3 players taken in NBA draft. Mathurin was a 6th pick (to my Indiana Pacers), Terry was 18th and Koloko was 33rd. That being said, well established, high performing programs rarely ever need to rebuild, just reload (I guess Sabin does not see his Bama team meeting this standard) I am sure Arizona will not need extra motivation after being embarrassed by us last year. I am looking forward to a very competitive game and another Vol victory.

It's funny you mention Cal; he never does that and just decided to do it one time for Mark Few. Cal is the reason why there are more neutral site games. Plus, I heard this speculated on radio, but Spokane is not their home court, and the speculation was that UK would have a decent crowd.

We have played in Spokane under Barnes, too. This is just the nature of the game now. We would probably have another P5 home game if we hadn't scheduled Colorado for a third game in Nashville. It is apparent that Barnes wants games in Memphis or really Nashville on a regular basis.
The Gonzaga thing is a win for the Zags, too. There home arena only holds 6000 fans. Not even having to leave their city, but increasing potential attendance to more than double is as good for them, financially as it is for UK from a gamesmanship standpoint. More UK fans get an opportunity to attend, but so do more Gonzaga fans.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
It would not hurt to play Florida Gulf Coast in a future home and home series for recruiting purposes in that area.
A P6 team like Tennessee is almost never going to give a game back to a school like FGCU. More likely would be USF or UCF, and even that would likely be a 2-for-1, 3-game series giving Tennessee 2 home games and 1 road game.

It would not hurt to play Florida Gulf Coast in a future home and home series for recruiting purposes in that area.
We don’t really seem to recruit Florida much and considering we already play the Gators not sure how much of a benefit that would really be.

The Gonzaga thing is a win for the Zags, too. There home arena only holds 6000 fans. Not even having to leave their city, but increasing potential attendance to more than double is as good for them, financially as it is for UK from a gamesmanship standpoint. More UK fans get an opportunity to attend, but so do more Gonzaga fans.
Neutral site games have to be allocated evenly iirc (obviously no guarantee who buys what), so in theory it’s probably 6k Gonzaga fans either way as I’m sure UK will have no issue selling their allotment.

Of course, but that's a different environment than their 6k facility. I just thought it was ironic that he mentioned Cal because Cal is the master of the neutral site games. Hell, I mentioned UK's home schedule yesterday- it sucks too.

Of course, but that's a different environment than their 6k facility. I just thought it was ironic that he mentioned Cal because Cal is the master of the neutral site games. Hell, I mentioned UK's home schedule yesterday- it sucks too.

I mentioned Cal because I originally was under the impression the game was in the regular Zags arena. I saw the original announcement about the home-and-home matchup but didn’t see the follow-up “clarification”. It’s been a busy summer and I just haven’t been paying as close attention to things so in hindsight it was a dumb comparison but I didn’t know at the time it was dumb.

Reactions: VolGee4
I mentioned Cal because I originally was under the impression the game was in the regular Zags arena. I saw the original announcement about the home-and-home matchup but didn’t see the follow-up “clarification”. It’s been a busy summer and I just haven’t been paying as close attention to things so in hindsight it was a dumb comparison but I didn’t know at the time it was dumb.
Honestly Tennessee until this year has been pretty good about scheduling home and homes under Barnes. Unc, Cincy, wisconsin (not sure if that ever got finished though), Colorado, Arizona, Georgia tech and wake forest all come to mind recently. That’s the big reason why I think/hope this year is an outlier but we will see.

Reactions: Volfan1000

No worries. I enjoy your posts. I understand the frustration with this year's schedule, but I think we have just gotten a little spoiled with Barnes playing good schedules.

Reactions: TheMookieMonster
Well, yeah, it's a much different environment, but the point is that Gonzaga isn't getting the short of the stick, entirely. There are some advantages for them, as well, which include opportunity for more of their fans to attend and increased revenue. It isn't like they have to go play in Rupp and then give up a home game to go meet UK in a neutral site game in Vegas or Denver.

Early prediction ... for the 2022-23 season ... 12-1 OC Games

I expect us to play 8 regularly, but I see only 6 playing 20+ MPG over the season. SV, ZZ, ON, JJ, TK, JP or JM
However, we need 4 more guys to play 10+ MPG for us to be a threat in the NCAA: UP, JA, JM/JP, and I am taking a wild guess on BJ

We ARE going to be a slightly more seasoned team this year than last! The 'senior' leadership is going to be much more visible this year than last year.
I actually think this team has a better 'profile' than the team last year.
Let's start by recognizing the heart of the team: SV, JJJ and ON. They are known quantities, barring injuries.
This year is the MOST optimistic I have been about post play and POST season play ... since Rick has arrived.
Last year our success centered around Chandler's play. This year our success will be determined by the play of 3 players: ZZ, Tyreke, and Julian.
We will win 25+ games AGAIN this year!

PG: Chandler vs Key is the difference. One plus for this year is we also have an additional player who can play some PG if we get in foul troubles: BJ Net: Loss
G: We lost Powell and Bailey replaced with JP, BJ, DJ. We are giving up experience, but may be gaining slightly on raw talent. Net: Gain
F: No change at all, everybody is back. BHH is gone, but let's face the music - he got half his minutes AFTER ON was injured. Net: None
C: John, BHH have moved on, replaced by Awaka and more minutes for Uros and JA. The full return to healthy of Jonas will replace what left. Net: Gain
2022-23, I think we have maybe 4 guys, really only 3, vying for the low post position:
Uros: Based on last year, will start the game and play 5+ minutes or so (10+ MPG). He is a decent player, but he has not been a physical threat on offense. They are trying to get him to be more physical and I see some spotty progress. Can somebody tell him, "Dude, Just jam the ball in their face is what we are wanting to see happen." Some people play better as a starter than they do coming on the bench. Uros was definitely better starting than coming off the bench last season.
Aidoo: He is a physical specimen. I am guessing that he is either 1 or 2 on the team in blocks this season. I think he rests Uros and plays a minimum of 5 minutes (10+ MPG).
If he takes a leap.... he may start and Uros will back him up.
ON: Too small to play the 5 full time. [Yes, I fully expect BTO to tell me what an idiot I am and how he is absolutely sure that ON starts at the 5 .... ] NEVERTHELESS, Nkamhoua is a perfect fit for small ball AND I think it is hypothetically possible that he logs the most number of minutes played at the 5. Those minutes will primarily come at the end of both halves AND that will only happen if Uros and Jonas have not made a leap forward in their development. I have always envisioned Olivier as more of a finesse player. So, would love to see more physicality and quickness from him. I expect to see him start exclusively at the 4. His defensive is good, but he needs to be a more consistent contributor on offense.
Awaka: He is at least a year away. He did get here early in the summer. He needs some experience. Expecting him to redshirt unless one of the other 3 gets hurt.

I love football season. Bring it on. 9-3 is my call. 2nd in the EAST .... but with a little bit of luck ... falling our way we could win the East.
But BB is my jam. I think we have a decent shot at getting 30 wins. Wishing for a repeat SEC championship.
My cup is always half full. :^)))))

Last edited:
Well, yeah, it's a much different environment, but the point is that Gonzaga isn't getting the short of the stick, entirely. There are some advantages for them, as well, which include opportunity for more of their fans to attend and increased revenue. It isn't like they have to go play in Rupp and then give up a home game to go meet UK in a neutral site game in Vegas or Denver.

I understand, but the original point I was making is that Cal loves neutral site games, and this game is still not a true Gonzaga home game. Plus, I think UL is the only one that UK does home and home with. Pretty sure that he ended the Indiana series. But we all know UK fans travel well.

I would be completely fine with even scheduling weaker P5 teams. Even if Tennessee Tech could theoretically beat NC State (who was 11-21 last year) I’d probably rather see a very weak ACC team come to Knoxville just for the sake of mixing it up. I’d rather watch us play bad P5 teams than bad mid-majors if there is a choice.
The perfect OOC schedule to me would be a few of the smaller in state schools for pay games to help support their programs then a few home & home with other P5 programs , then round it out with a few others that would agree to (2) homes for us to 1 home for them. JMO, TIFWIW, AARP

VN Store

Back