Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
247 notes about first scrimmage:

- Offense had good day (usually at this point in most camps, defense has the edge)
- TE Warren, RB Sampson scored TDs
- Banks impressive INT
- Coaches feel good about things they can work on
- Crawford vs Mincey at LT, Crawford leading
- CB battle(s) still wide open
- Bru vs Keyton vs Merrill for other outside WR spot, Merrill leading and scored as well
- RB Small looked good, Sampson looked good, Small more confident this year
- Coaches very happy with RB room
- DL going to be rotating all season, coaches thinking about that in back 7 as well
- Heupel satisfied with depth at DL and secondary
- Heupel wants more out of Fr DL Josephs, Pearce, West
- Garner praising DL Bailey and Eason

These are the most promising statements to me at least. I'd love to see Merrill become a stud outside WR. I also like that the CB battle is wide open, you have a lot of guys there some new and some returning and you have plenty of highly rated talent so the best thing for them is all be battling to start and pushing one another to get better.

Bailey & Eason getting praise is big, hopefully both become big time contributors on the DL this year. Also happy to hear the coaches are happy with the RBs. I think Small using spring to get fully healthy was smart, Sampson coming in and being as good as he is, is also huge. Once Wright is healthy and back in the mix there should be a lot of quality depth in that group.

Some weird takes on poop schedule and location ITT.

Ya only got 24 hours in a day, if you're lucky you get to sleep 6-8 hours a night. That leaves you 16-18 hours for everything else. Drive time of an hour or so for work, then you factor in about 1.5 hours for eating (assuming around half an hour and 3 meals a day) and now you're down to a window of 13.5-15.5 hours in the day. Take out another hour for showering and getting ready for work/bed and you've got 12.5-14.5 hours in the day. Now depending on where you work you give them 8-10 hours of your day.

So really you'd be giving yourself a window of about 2.5-4.5 hours to poop in IF you required it to only happen at home and not at work.

Considering the average meal runs through your system in about 12 hours, and you eat 2-3 different times in a day you either have to be extremely lucky or extremely constipated to poop consistently in the same 2-5-4.5 hour window at home in the evening every day.

You should be pooping at least once a day, and a healthy digestive system is going to be more like 2 to 3 times a day. So my conclusion is that I just wrote a whole lot about pooping while at work on the toilet while on the clock getting paid while pooping... LIKE A RED BLOODED AMERICAN SHOULD!

They call me 007 at work..

0 skills, 0 motivation and 7 poop breaks.

Kid is a massive punk and ultimately I think it'll be his downfall in the league, but he's a stud and should have gone in the first round.
I remember watching him on ESPN when he played for Hoover. One of the most dominate and most unlikeable HS players I ever watched that game. The Steelers might like his attitude on the field. Seems like a culture fit.

Reactions: johnfnkelly
Dooley 100%. It’s easy to hate him for sure (weird dude, signed 0 offensive linemen in 1 class, and horrific defense) and it’s easy to hate Sal. But that secondary was really, really bad. So bad that we were all hoping a point guard could be our savior at CB.

So take what he did offensively and give him Alabama’s defensive talent, yeah that team could’ve won a title. Especially if you add in an Alabama RB
The team quit on Dooley during the Kentucky game in 2011. He would never be able to manage a locker room with that much talent

Dooley 100%. It’s easy to hate him for sure (weird dude, signed 0 offensive linemen in 1 class, and horrific defense) and it’s easy to hate Sal. But that secondary was really, really bad. So bad that we were all hoping a point guard could be our savior at CB.

So take what he did offensively and give him Alabama’s defensive talent, yeah that team could’ve won a title. Especially if you add in an Alabama RB

Attachments

• AF23ACE6-0FF2-496C-AAD0-61B86006C811.jpeg
    AF23ACE6-0FF2-496C-AAD0-61B86006C811.jpeg
    87.9 KB · Views: 8
These are the most promising statements to me at least. I'd love to see Merrill become a stud outside WR. I also like that the CB battle is wide open, you have a lot of guys there some new and some returning and you have plenty of highly rated talent so the best thing for them is all be battling to start and pushing one another to get better.

Bailey & Eason getting praise is big, hopefully both become big time contributors on the DL this year. Also happy to hear the coaches are happy with the RBs. I think Small using spring to get fully healthy was smart, Sampson coming in and being as good as he is, is also huge. Once Wright is healthy and back in the mix there should be a lot of quality depth in that group.
Merrill starting would deny the science of “He won’t be in this class.” That was applied in his thread when he committed. 😎

On Tuesday’s edition of Swain’s podcast he and Josh discussed the scrimmage. Jayson watched the scrimmage with Troy Fleming. Jayson didn’t say a lot but he did seem impressed with a number of players, Small most of all. He was also impressed with Sampson, Hooker, and Merrill. I haven’t heard a whole lot about Merrill but I remember Jayson being early on the Josh Palmer bandwagon so I thought that was notable. He seemed to suggest we’d be okay at left tackle which ever guy wins the job. He’s big on Hadden even though he didn’t get to scrimmage and has been out for most of fall camp.

In the 2nd hour of his podcast he and Josh welcomed Bill Connelly to the show. Bill said Tennessee played better than our record last year (I have a chart on that below). He said when his final preseason rankings come out in the next few days we may drop a little bit (#9 in his May update) but will still be borderline top 10.

He talked about Pitt and the strength of the Pitt team is the line of scrimmage. If we can win that we win the game. He said Florida was thin at the skill positions on offense but he was high on Anthony Richardson. He said Florida would have a sophomore defense this year. He said the issue LSU has to deal with is they lost a lot of guys from last year and have rebuilt their roster with the transfer portal. He thinks all of these new guys at LSU this year may require some time to get used to playing with each other. He thought it was to our advantage that we get both Florida and LSU early in the season and with a bye week in between.

Connelly said the key to whether we win 6 or 7 games versus 9 or 10 games hangs on how well we’re able to solve our depth issues from last year on defense. (side note: I’ve read from a number of analysts that say the key to a Briles type offense aside from having the right QB is defensive depth). He talked about the fact that for the first half of the season last year we had a top 20 defense but with a lack of depth in the back half of the season we sort of wilted especially in the latter part of our games.

This first chart is 1D+TD efficiencies (% of plays that end in a 1D or TD) for offense and defense for Tennessee, Georgia, and Alabama, from last year. It suggests that we marginally outplayed Pitt and significantly outplayed Ole Miss. It also suggests that Florida outplayed Alabama but Emory Jones threw an interception in the 1Q that gave Alabama the ball on Florida’s 38 yard line. The Tide scored a TD off of that mistake and went on to win the game by 2 points. That Florida team is the one we played last year not the one that finished the season with essentially a don’t care attitude.

View attachment 479111

This second chart is how we’ve matched up with Georgia last year and in 2016, our last win against them. It also looks at how Georgia has fared in each of the other years since Kirby took over in Athens. I expect Georgia to regress this year and so does most other analysts. The question is by how much. Holding teams to 24.56% for 1D+TD for the season is pretty unreal and likely not sustainable season to season. We probably need Georgia's defense this year to get back above 30.00% at least, which I think is realistic. jmo.

View attachment 479112
In 2019 Heupel had a decent defense at UCF. He went 10-3.
View attachment 479113
I think with our offense if our defense can perform similar to the UCF defense in 2019 we would have a good shot at winning at least 10 games in the regular season. Also I'd take Heupel's offense over the Gus offense any day. jmo.
That’s some fine work there. Thanks for sharing. I never thought of the 1D+TD stat before. Very interesting, amd seemingly a good indicator of wins and losses…
special request, can you post this data game to game throughout the season, please?

All these other reports from around the nation. We're so hung up on if we have a star at RB, if the WRs will be better, what the starting OL will be, and if the defense can improve. We forgot to celebrate a mostly healthy scrimmage.

That's what these weeks are about - stay healthy, get better. You can't do the second one without the first.

Fingers crossed for the guys.
I am still at 7-5. I've seen nothing that points to the defense being much better, from what I am picking up, it sounds like the D backfield will be even worse.

The defense is the key to 8+ win season, and we will just continue treading water until the defense as a whole greatly improves.

I hope several of these defensive backs get better real quick, but I am not banking on it.

It doesn't matter how much we score if we can't stop anybody.

I remember watching him on ESPN when he played for Hoover. One of the most dominate and most unlikeable HS players I ever watched that game. The Steelers might like his attitude on the field. Seems like a culture fit.
I’m loving it so far…. He is dominating camp…. Go Steelers!

That’s some fine work there. Thanks for sharing. I never thought of the 1D+TD stat before. Very interesting, amd seemingly a good indicator of wins and losses…
special request, can you post this data game to game throughout the season, please?
you is just greedy.

Big blow to UF.

YHTSI

Another fan take from another site.

Well that sucks for Florida, really seemed like Justin Shorter & Ricky Pearsall were going to be the focal point of the passing game this year, and Pearsall in particular with his agility and quick separation ability was a great complement skillset wise to Shorter's prototypical 6'4 X build.

Florida is really going to needs Xzavier Henderson and Trent Whittemore to step up, even though Henderson (6'3 195) is more of a hitch & go type that can also serve as an intermediate threat, while Whittemore (6'3 206) is more of a big slot type and isn't reliable to stay healthy.

And really that's the problem with the current Florida WR roster which has too much of the recent Clemson problem - 3rd year Ja'Markis Weston (6'3, 212), 3rd year Ja'quavion Fraziars (6'4 212), 2nd years Marcus Burke (6'4, 183 has some quickness but more of a deep threat), 2nd year Daejon Reynolds (6'2 204), and true freshman Caleb Douglas (6'3, 191) are all bigger wide receivers that are much more intermediate threats, vertical threats, bigger slot, or tight-space boundary guys than the Pearsall types who are able to separate immediately off the line or have explosiveness off their cuts in shorter routes.

Maybe summer JUCO addition Thai Chiaokhiao-Bowman (6'0 191) who has some speed and a nice release quickly acclimates to the offense and steps up? Maybe utilize RB Nay'Quan Wright even more in the passing game?

But ultimately this doesn't seem like an issue Florida is going to be able to fix with this current crop of WRs and they really just need Pearsall healthy asap.

I am still at 7-5. I've seen nothing that points to the defense being much better, from what I am picking up, it sounds like the D backfield will be even worse.

The defense is the key to 8+ win season, and we will just continue treading water until the defense as a whole greatly improves.

I hope several of these defensive backs get better real quick, but I am not banking on it.

It doesn't matter how much we score if we can't stop anybody.
It sounds like the DL is getting better. That's what I've been finding solace in.

Pass rush makes a secondary shine, especially in CFB. If one of our edge guys can take that next step, or we can just have a more reliable rotation up front, we don't need great DB play.

Also, there were games that our defense DID get the ball back for the offense in crucial situations, but the offense couldn't capitalize. If the offense is getting better, we can still find 1-2 more wins without the defense improving in a major way.

It sounds like the DL is getting better. That's what I've been finding solace in.

Pass rush makes a secondary shine, especially in CFB. If one of our edge guys can take that next step, or we can just have a more reliable rotation up front, we don't need great DB play.
UT's main defensive woe last year was an inability to get to the passer.

Coaches have been working to remedy that.

So does anybody have any suggestions on what to do about a 4ft rat snake that crawled from my master bedroom into the bathroom and into a void in the vanity toe kick? I've sealed that up but I don't think that's how it got in?

Any and all suggestions will be considered !!!

UT's main defensive woe last year were an inability to get to the passer.

Coaches have been working to remedy that.

Yes, there were several games that the opposing QB had forever in the backfield or could move around freely and find an open lane to take off because nobody was on his butt.

I don't think that the back 7 is as hopeless as advertised. They still have a lot of room for improvement, and we have certainly been better in the secondary in years past, but a pass rush can change a lot.

We may not need "great" DB play to have a better season, but we sure as hell have to have good DB play.

I'm not pumping sunshine just to make everybody feel good...if the guys we have don't get markedly better quickly, then our season will not be much different from last year.

I hope the switch turns on, but reports makes it sound like they are even worse as a whole...not better, nobody sounds to be stepping up, and that was what I was hoping to hear more than anything else.

I really hope I am wrong, and I hope they all step up and make me sound like a fool...I would love to eat that tasty crow buffet all year long.

🤷‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back