Should U.S. Swap ‘Merchant of Death’ for Brittney Griner?

I'm going to play Devil's Advocate.

If a military member went over to Russia and got arrested and sentenced for this, and it made the news. I'd bet the right would be clamoring to bring he/she home. Willing to swap a war criminal for them even.

Let's be honest with ourselves. The right doesn't care about bringing her home because of her politics and lifestyle - not because it's "not a good trade" or "she deserves it."

We fought to get Ryan Lochte off the hook in Brazil. We are fighting to get a soldier a lesser sentence or brought back after a fatal car crash in Japan. Embassies all over the world work with and negotiate deals with foreign governments to get their citizens released and shipped home. Regular citizens, all the time. Virginia Tech once had a Chinese student murder another Chinese student and the US didn't even prosecute. They just got the guy shipped back to China. We only really keep military criminals.

I disagree with Griner on pretty much everything, but she's an American citizen and should be punished at home. It's entirely a political ploy by Russia. And I'm sure they're loving making American citizens and politicans bicker about what to do. They see how divided we are and they're continuing to do things to drive a wedge because they know the only way we fall is by tearing ourselves down.

Americans are supposed to have each other's backs at the end of the day. The people wanting her to rot in a Russian prison for this are the actual problem here. If anyone reading this falls into that category I pray you do some introspection.

Don’t necessarily disagree with your post. Work to get her released, yes, but I don’t believe the trade in question is appropriate regardless of her politics. I don’t see the examples you provided of past incidents as fair comparisons as trading for criminal arms dealers are not part of those equations. JMO.

I am of the opinion that the US should try to bring back as many citizens as possible that are detained in Russia (Griner included) regardless of status. However, if someone breaks the law in another country you must realize that you are at their mercy. Years ago, I was travelling back from Thailand and went through customs. Customs Officers informed me that I had broken their law by overstaying and had to pay a fine to leave the country. Refusal to pay left me with potential problems of no flight back home along with increasing fees for each additional day overstayed or worse jail time. At the time I was oblivious to this law and consequences. Ignorance did not absolve me. Fine was paid right away of course. This is not the same situation as BG but damn she created the problem.

I was arrested in Colon Panama for being drunk and stupid. I thought I was thoroughly screwed but thankfully I had $50 on me. Had the cops not been completely corrupt I could have been in a lot of trouble.

Wait, you think we have to express equal care about them in order to prove we give a **** about human rights? This makes absolutely no sense, but I don't expect too much from people that are trying to prove it's OK to put pettiness over human rights.
So releasing terrorists and people who kill Americans has nothing to do with humans rights?.

I agree with that but the question is what should we do? I don't think we should trade the arms dealer for her, maybe for all Americans held over there but not a 1 for 1.
If the sentence is in line with usual Russian terms for the same offence, and it seems to be, we let her serve her term and do the usual checks to confirm she's treated humanely while in custody.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
I was arrested in Colon Panama for being drunk and stupid. I thought I was thoroughly screwed but thankfully I had $50 on me. Had the cops not been completely corrupt I could have been in a lot of trouble.
Ft. Sherman JOTC?

I'm going to play Devil's Advocate.

If a military member went over to Russia and got arrested and sentenced for this, and it made the news. I'd bet the right would be clamoring to bring he/she home. Willing to swap a war criminal for them even.

Let's be honest with ourselves. The right doesn't care about bringing her home because of her politics and lifestyle - not because it's "not a good trade" or "she deserves it."

We fought to get Ryan Lochte off the hook in Brazil. We are fighting to get a soldier a lesser sentence or brought back after a fatal car crash in Japan. Embassies all over the world work with and negotiate deals with foreign governments to get their citizens released and shipped home. Regular citizens, all the time. Virginia Tech once had a Chinese student murder another Chinese student and the US didn't even prosecute. They just got the guy shipped back to China. We only really keep military criminals.

I disagree with Griner on pretty much everything, but she's an American citizen and should be punished at home. It's entirely a political ploy by Russia. And I'm sure they're loving making American citizens and politicans bicker about what to do. They see how divided we are and they're continuing to do things to drive a wedge because they know the only way we fall is by tearing ourselves down.

Americans are supposed to have each other's backs at the end of the day. The people wanting her to rot in a Russian prison for this are the actual problem here. If anyone reading this falls into that category I pray you do some introspection.

I don’t care about her politics or personal life , the celebrity status is the only reason she’s in the headlines and we are even aware of her being held . Others that don’t have that status just have to tough it out .

What to know about 2 former US Marines held by Russia ahead of Putin-Biden summit

VN Store

Back