Should U.S. Swap ‘Merchant of Death’ for Brittney Griner?

I respect any American who goes to fight in Ukraine now. Admire them. That said, they are on their own.

You can’t travel to another country, especially ones run by dictators, and expect the US to rescue you. Not for it.
Not disagreeing but that doesn't mean the US shouldn't make an attempt to get you out.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
I said it earlier .. if it wasn’t a celebrity, we wouldn’t even be talking about her and neither would the MSM media , social media, or the government .
Yep, no talk of getting the Marine or the school teacher home at all. But boy, just let one WNBA star get detained and World War III is ready to break out.

Make the trade just make sure the guy gets the right COVID vax before he gets back to Russia. It'll sort itself out.
If it's true that someone knowingly attempted to smuggle that into Russia, they're not a very bright person.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
I'm going to play Devil's Advocate.

If a military member went over to Russia and got arrested and sentenced for this, and it made the news. I'd bet the right would be clamoring to bring he/she home. Willing to swap a war criminal for them even.

Let's be honest with ourselves. The right doesn't care about bringing her home because of her politics and lifestyle - not because it's "not a good trade" or "she deserves it."

We fought to get Ryan Lochte off the hook in Brazil. We are fighting to get a soldier a lesser sentence or brought back after a fatal car crash in Japan. Embassies all over the world work with and negotiate deals with foreign governments to get their citizens released and shipped home. Regular citizens, all the time. Virginia Tech once had a Chinese student murder another Chinese student and the US didn't even prosecute. They just got the guy shipped back to China. We only really keep military criminals.

I disagree with Griner on pretty much everything, but she's an American citizen and should be punished at home. It's entirely a political ploy by Russia. And I'm sure they're loving making American citizens and politicans bicker about what to do. They see how divided we are and they're continuing to do things to drive a wedge because they know the only way we fall is by tearing ourselves down.

Americans are supposed to have each other's backs at the end of the day. The people wanting her to rot in a Russian prison for this are the actual problem here. If anyone reading this falls into that category I pray you do some introspection.

If you think its just Griner - you should see how Biden's embassy in Russia is doing with everyone else - 'Forgotten' American Woman Jailed in Russia with Brittney Griner Tried to Flee with U.S. Help Before Arrest - unlike Griner THAT is actually a victim. Until now, has anyone heard of her? no. This is just Russian SOP.

Mr. Grindinher? Because gay, right?

Some of y'all's insult arsenals are weak as ****.
Was largely being ignored until your weak ass remark brought it to light.

200.gif

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Was largely being ignored until your weak ass remark brought it to light.

200.gif

Oh, it was being ignored? You have a telepathic connection to every user on this forum and know what they've read?

Of course you'd see an issue with that comment being called out. You are no stranger to being absolute ass at talking smack.

Oh, it was being ignored? You have a telepathic connection to every user on this forum and know what they've read?

Of course you'd see an issue with that comment being called out. You are no stranger to being absolute ass at talking smack.
Yep, you have that unique ability to accomplish absolutely nothing and call it victory. Congratulations.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
If people gave a **** about that, then why are there two other Americans over there for the same crimes being fought for just as hard?

Wait, you think we have to express equal care about them in order to prove we give a **** about human rights? This makes absolutely no sense, but I don't expect too much from people that are trying to prove it's OK to put pettiness over human rights.

Reactions: theFallGuy
Wait, you think we have to express equal care about them in order to prove we give a **** about human rights? This makes absolutely no sense, but I don't expect too much from people that are trying to prove it's OK to put pettiness over human rights.

Fame shouldn't prioritize caring about human rights either.

1,000,000 x 0 = 0. ; )

Nobody has demonstrated that he's actually dangerous to Americans (and I've been asking for details) or has explained what intel he can dish.

We're also getting an ex-marine out of the proposed deal. I'm not saying it's a good trade, I'm just pointing out the absurdity of comparing this task to ending the fkn war in Ukraine
What does him being an ex-marine have to do with anything?

Fame shouldn't prioritize caring about human rights either.
I am of the opinion that the US should try to bring back as many citizens as possible that are detained in Russia (Griner included) regardless of status. However, if someone breaks the law in another country you must realize that you are at their mercy. Years ago, I was travelling back from Thailand and went through customs. Customs Officers informed me that I had broken their law by overstaying and had to pay a fine to leave the country. Refusal to pay left me with potential problems of no flight back home along with increasing fees for each additional day overstayed or worse jail time. At the time I was oblivious to this law and consequences. Ignorance did not absolve me. Fine was paid right away of course. This is not the same situation as BG but damn she created the problem.

VN Store

Back